Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
...putting the two sentences back to back implies they are related, a basic grammatical structure used every day. And that, boys and girls, concludes today's lesson in understanding English.
Maybe try to read the five words conceding the point in the post above yours before you give English lessons. You can make it to the end of the post if you believe in yourself.

• Funny
Reactions: humbaba
Maybe try to read the five words conceding the point in the post above yours before you give English lessons. You can make it to the end of the post if you believe in yourself.

I'm sorry, but that was posted between my hitting "reply" and "post". You "my bad" doesn't change your original statement -- and that is what I was replying to. I'm glad you are acknowledging the wording.

Munster is not running for the exits, though. You may disagree with his opinion on the Tesla board and Elon's role, but he's far from a fair weather friend to Tesla. He's one of the most ardent believers in the potential of this company and he has been heavily invested for a long time.

Correct. I didn’t mean to infer he was running for the exits. But yes, I disagree with his view about the board.

I disagree they need an *independent* (they aren’t now?) board but rather than give you the disagree click I’m willing to hold off if you’ll explain why the board they have now, that got them this far (though a few seats are not held by the same people), isn’t suitable to move forward.

Please explain what the factor is for each board member that makes them unqualified to stay on the board.

Thanks in advance.
Please feel free to disagree anytime, this forum would be a pretty boring place if we all agree all the time!

With respect to independence, I was thinking of Elon and separation of Chairman and CEO duties. I think it is a good idea for companies in general, as the Board is tasked with the oversight of the day to day responsibilities directed by the CEO. It is hard I think for any CEO to be involved with legal and regulatory oversight when they are trying to run a company. These seem like two distinctly separate responsibilities. Some companies, like FB, make it work. Others, like AAPL, separate the duties.

Also, with respect to “blowing up” the board, as another poster put it, i would t look at changes that way. The board, and therefore the company, could be strengthened in a number of ways. It doesn’t have to be an either/or proposition. Maybe split Elon’s roles, and expand the board by a few seats. There are any number of things that could be done to improve.

Companies need to move fast and be flexible in today’s world. Saying the board has got us this far, it’s gotta stay forever makes little sense to me. As this company continues to grow exponentially it might make sense to bring on new board members with diverse expertise beyond what we have now.

I like Gene Munster and have listened to him from the days he followed AAPL. He’s smart, fair-minded and level headed, and he’s a fan of TSLA. I think his ideas are worth considering. I m just surprised at the tabloid tone of the note, “bankruptcy soon” nonsense. That’s not like him.

Just my $0.02 worth!

I just read his piece on CNBC. This stood out to me:

“There was a vote earlier in the year to remove Musk as chairman, but the voting structure of Tesla's stock requires a super majority to pass changes. The motion failed.”

Did a check, >86 million shares voted against that change and <17 million voted for it. I’ve said this before: if you (proverbial you, I’m speaking of Munster here) show yourself to be fundamentally dishonest, I don’t care what you have to say. That statement was fundamentally dishonest.

I have followed stocks and CNBC for years and not seen this level of dishonesty with any other stock I have followed. This is a very cleverly worded statement, purposely made to deceive.

Please feel free to disagree anytime, this forum would be a pretty boring place if we all agree all the time!

With respect to independence, I was thinking of Elon and separation of Chairman and CEO duties. I think it is a good idea for companies in general, as the Board is tasked with the oversight of the day to day responsibilities directed by the CEO. It is hard I think for any CEO to be involved with legal and regulatory oversight when they are trying to run a company. These seem like two distinctly separate responsibilities. Some companies, like FB, make it work. Others, like AAPL, separate the duties.

Also, with respect to “blowing up” the board, as another poster put it, i would t look at changes that way. The board, and therefore the company, could be strengthened in a number of ways. It doesn’t have to be an either/or proposition. Maybe split Elon’s roles, and expand the board by a few seats. There are any number of things that could be done to improve.

Companies need to move fast and be flexible in today’s world. Saying the board has got us this far, it’s gotta stay forever makes little sense to me. As this company continues to grow exponentially it might make sense to bring on new board members with diverse expertise beyond what we have now.

I like Gene Munster and have listened to him from the days he followed AAPL. He’s smart, fair-minded and level headed, and he’s a fan of TSLA. I think his ideas are worth considering. I m just surprised at the tabloid tone of the note, “bankruptcy soon” nonsense. That’s not like him.

Just my $0.02 worth!

The way Tesla gets to be fast and flexible is because everyone is on the same page. Adding people adds unnecessary risk that those people start shifting the focus of Tesla. The board already has diversity and several people here just about had a heart attack when Murdoch was added to the board being the son of ‘you know who’.

Saying the board got us here is actually saying ‘if it ain’t broken, don’t try and fix it’.

No, I don’t want Elon separate from the board. It’s his vision and he’s the one who keeps the focus and pulls Tesla out of the fire. I want him to have control even though he’s not technically supposed to. Was Murdoch sleeping on the factory floor? Building the tent?

I have no idea what Munster is on about with bankruptcy talk.

Last edited:
He’s talking about these purple squirrels.
S3ybOJW.jpg

You may have missed them, because they are often in disguise.
Ns7Kl2D.jpg
Unicorn Squirrels!

Why I think a continued V shaped recovery seems to be the highest probability trade at this point:
#1 a major double bottom since April 1, 2018
#2 June and August failed attempts at highs still made successively higher highs at $373 and $387
#3 last 3 days candlestick pattern is a morning star along the lines of island reversal and I daresay similarities to an abandoned baby
#4 favorable volume trends
My bet: a fast and furious V shaped rally over the next 15 to 17 trading days taking SP to brand new highs in $390 to $400 range
If wrong I’ll revise my opinion based on future SP action

Hey, what's going to happen with all the M3's in the Carolinas with this damn hurricane coming? Hard to find a place to put them in good weather let alone this...
A relative and I were discussing this today after all the cars we saw up in Charlotte recently. Some of our friends are already being evacuated from SC and the coastal areas of NC. Hopefully, Tesla is looking for parking structures or possible empty warehouses. Finding enough carriers to move cars at this point is probably not going to happen. Hospital parking structures have been used by some dealers here in Florida. But most multi-story parking will do. They are all-concrete and great for protection from rain, flying debris, and hail.

• Informative
Reactions: wipster
Hey, what's going to happen with all the M3's in the Carolinas with this damn hurricane coming? Hard to find a place to put them in good weather let alone this...

Hopefully, they are away from Crabtree creek?

I just flew into MYR to pick up my Blue X and drive to Charlotte. Beach is pretty quiet but those who are left are quite worried.

Mandatory evacuation off OIB for tourists 8am tomorrow, residents Wednesday.

Irma hit Naples LY and now Florence is taking aim at my beach house. I’m thinking Jim Cantore doesn’t like me.

Hoping for the best.

• Informative
Reactions: wipster
Saying the board got us here is actually saying ‘if it ain’t broken, don’t try and fix it’.
Well, it may not be broken but I think it's outgrowing it's current skin and needs to slough it off to grow.

My choices for replacement?
S. Jurvetson. Super smart guy, totally invested in Elon and Elon's companies. Yet Tesla is beyond VC stage, Jurvetson would be there to bend Elon's ear or vis-a-versa even without a board seat. I give no weight to the cloud hanging over him at the moment...he's innocent until found not so, and Tesla sure isn't doing that investigation, just waiting for others. But freeing up the spot now means not having to do it later if the investigation warrants so doing.

K. Musk. Elon's brother. Could he, in all honesty, say "No" to big brother Elon? And there's that hat. He also would still be there to help Elon if needed without being on the board. I think Tesla is beyond his scope as well.

My choice to replace Jurvetson? G. Shotwell. She won't be COO but could be a great board member. I bet she can say "No" to Elon and he'd listen.

And for K. Musk...I don't have a name in mind, but my search would be for an East Coast woman currently in a brand oriented company...like the former Pepsi CEO. I know Elon doesn't believe in the value of Brand, but the world does, and shareholders certainly do, so someone should protect it and explain to Elon why. Why East Coast? Because there's an obvious difference between the thinking in the Valley and Wall Street. Why a woman? Because we need more women on boards in general.

Huh, I'm surprised... If you accuse Gene Munster of being against Tesla, you are indeed very poorly informed.
You must not have been paying attention, to not see him hundreds of times defending Tesla in media, and being a counterpart to many attacks last few years.
And he's legendary ex-APPL analyst, bigger name than any current analyst covering TSLA.

None of which has anything to do with what I said. He posted something overtly(and clearly intentionally) misleading. I don’t care about his history.

Well, it may not be broken but I think it's outgrowing it's current skin and needs to slough it off to grow.

My choices for replacement?
S. Jurvetson. Super smart guy, totally invested in Elon and Elon's companies. Yet Tesla is beyond VC stage, Jurvetson would be there to bend Elon's ear or vis-a-versa even without a board seat. I give no weight to the cloud hanging over him at the moment...he's innocent until found not so, and Tesla sure isn't doing that investigation, just waiting for others. But freeing up the spot now means not having to do it later if the investigation warrants so doing.

K. Musk. Elon's brother. Could he, in all honesty, say "No" to big brother Elon? And there's that hat. He also would still be there to help Elon if needed without being on the board. I think Tesla is beyond his scope as well.

My choice to replace Jurvetson? G. Shotwell. She won't be COO but could be a great board member. I bet she can say "No" to Elon and he'd listen.

And for K. Musk...I don't have a name in mind, but my search would be for an East Coast woman currently in a brand oriented company...like the former Pepsi CEO. I know Elon doesn't believe in the value of Brand, but the world does, and shareholders certainly do, so someone should protect it and explain to Elon why. Why East Coast? Because there's an obvious difference between the thinking in the Valley and Wall Street. Why a woman? Because we need more women on boards in general.

Shotwell’s plate is full but you think she’ll say no to Elon? No way. I recently watched an interview she did - she doesn’t say no to Elon at SpaceX, she wouldn’t at Tesla.

Looking on the bright side, all the rain should quickly wash away that dust they collected sitting in the lots in California being photographed by the shorty airforce.

I have followed stocks and CNBC for years and not seen this level of dishonesty with any other stock I have followed. This is a very cleverly worded statement, purposely made to deceive.
Judging by Gene's recent notes, he is not at all pleased with Elon's behavior over the last few months, though he remains bullish on Tesla. It's unfortunate that he went to the length of deceptively making it seem that Elon would have been removed as chairman if not for the voting structure of Tesla, which is clearly false. I think there are many who do think like Gene in terms of Elon's behavior being a huge negative for Tesla. That's problematic in terms of the short term sentiment but really has nothing to do with the long term view on Tesla. Elon's behavior clearly crushed the sentiment around Tesla recently, which has been brutal for those of us who increased leverage based upon the privatization proposal that never materialized. That's been personally challenging but should have no effect on Tesla's long term prospects. I still see Elon as focused as ever on executing on his Tesla plans. This has been a short term detour that was really blown out of proportion by the media. We are already seeing signs of it dying down with sentiment starting to turn around on Tesla. I don't personally see why the board would need to change at this point. The reality is that Elon definitely helped get Tesla executing more effectively toward their goals. That's far more important than his unconventional behavior. IMO, the board should really only become concerned if Elon becomes problematic in terms of Tesla executing.

Status
Not open for further replies.