Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It is the weekend and I am celebrating my fleet.View attachment 335353
Here's mine:
IMG_1177.jpg
IMG_1177.jpg

I think this is a positive article and why you only cut and pasted the first paragraph? Did you read the whole article?

The whole point of journalism is not to bury the lede when writing. Most people only read the headline, a few more read the first paragraph only, and almost nobody will "read the whole article" as you ask.

By selecting a negative bias narrative for the 1st paragraph, the author tilts the balance of what information actually gets out there. That is dishonest. It is enough to make honest people mad.

That is Game of Thrones novelist George RR Martin.

With his 2013 Model S.

Done with Tesla's inhouse custom color program back in the day.

He liked purple so much he paid $15k.

That is the only factory non aftermarket Purple Model S.
If he ever sells it, I want to buy it.

I try not to pass judgement on car styles, since taste is so subjective. But, C'MON, the new BMW iNext is truly ugly. Like, objectively ugly.

Every time the traditional car makers unveils their electric cars I keep wondering if they are purposely trying not to sell these things. As if they are trying to plant into consumers' minds that electric cars are weird, stay away.

BMW declared a while ago that "EV owner want that their cars are recognized as an EV". I wonder where this false information is coming from. They obviously did surveys and they did them wrong. I believe that EV owner want a good looking car but not something that looks like from a SF movie. If you look at the i3 or I8 you can say that maybe a portion from the design comes from the carbon fibre material decision but there is in my view a complete misinterpretation what a consumer wants and BMW seems not to listen.

People do not need a futuristic design but a car that just works well and has great specs. I like the range they announced above 400 miles although I have strong doubts that they know how to make that happen. Maybe its a bet on the solid state battery that a lot of manufacturers here hope will come to market and be a game change. I doubt that and believe the Lithium Batteries have still a lot of improvement if not most still in them and it will be the technology that replaces ICEs in the next 2 decades.

If BMW takes the iNext design and brings it to the market they will limit the level of interest to a smaller group of consumers and leave the broad mass they should shoot for out. Another missed opportunity.

There is a long list of those missed opportunities out there and the car design is just one of them.

BMW declared a while ago that "EV owner want that their cars are recognized as an EV". I wonder where this false information is coming from. They obviously did surveys and they did them wrong. I believe that EV owner want a good looking car but not something that looks like from a SF movie. If you look at the i3 or I8 you can say that maybe a portion from the design comes from the carbon fibre material decision but there is in my view a complete misinterpretation what a consumer wants and BMW seems not to listen.

People do not need a futuristic design but a car that just works well and has great specs. I like the range they announced above 400 miles although I have strong doubts that they know how to make that happen. Maybe its a bet on the solid state battery that a lot of manufacturers here hope will come to market and be a game change. I doubt that and believe the Lithium Batteries have still a lot of improvement if not most still in them and it will be the technology that replaces ICEs in the next 2 decades.

If BMW takes the iNext design and brings it to the market they will limit the level of interest to a smaller group of consumers and leave the broad mass they should shoot for out. Another missed opportunity.

There is a long list of those missed opportunities out there and the car design is just one of them.
All the 4300 Americans who bought an i3 in 2018 (=1 week of Model 3 production) disagree with you. /s

Attended the Allentown, PA event last weekend. It was a cold and rainy day yet there were many participants. Crowds were good for the day but my time there was only about an hour. The model 3 was the most represented with 7 in attendance. There was a prototype Ipace that drew good attention though it wasn't my interest. I drove for about an hour and 20 minutes to attend and get up close with a 3. For me, a high mileage driver, without a charging network of some sort, other brands just cant compare to a Tesla. List of those registered as attending were:

Tesla Model 3 7
Tesla Model S 6
Chevrolet Volt 4
Nissan Leaf (2018) 2
BMW i3 1
Chevrolet Bolt 1
Chevy Spark EV 1
Fiat 500e 1
Ford C-MAX Energi 1
Honda Clarity Plug-in Hybrid 1
Jaguar I-Pace 1
Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV 1
Tesla Model X 1
Toyota Prius Prime 1
Zero Motorcycle 1

I found this write up after the event by the coordinator, James.

Despite being one of the coldest and rainiest days of the season we had an impressive turnout. EV owners are passionate and resilient and will do whatever it takes to share their knowledge and experiences driving electric. Many great conversations took place educating non-EV owners about charging, driving fun, cost savings etc.

We had great representation from Tesla owners with Model S, X and 3. We also had a unique and rare opportunity to have a prototype Jaguar I-PACE at our event. Not only was it on display, but was available for test drives. 18 of the 40+ test drives given were in the I-PACE. Many other makes and models of BEV and PHEV vehicles were present providing a well-rounded event. We also had a few visitors show up with their EV’s from seeing our signs and flags.

View attachment 335304
Estero Florida, (SW Florida, midway between Cape Coral and Naples) in the 90's had a nice group, with 2 foldable electric scooters, dealers from BMW and whomever sells electric smart cars, a Tesla Rep with a model 3 Performance (drove last week) and a bunch of owners
upload_2018-9-16_8-18-37.png

• Informative
Reactions: wipster
BMW unveils its iNEXT next-gen electric crossover concept, describes it as ‘building block for the future’
Kind of looks like a jungle cat ready to swallow a zebra. Some may like the look, but I'll pass, love Tesla's styling. How can BMW reveal a M3 car competitor with absolutely no specifications (so nothing to judge them by) and a launch date of sometime in 2021. Three years from now. Come on, BWM, is that the best you can do. Gidd'y up.
Something incestuous is going on upstream in tge gene pool between BMW, the iPace, and Faraday Future

Lots of negative delivery experiences will hit the headlines eventually. It’s important to keep in mind that these are growing pains. I’d be shocked if any significant # decide to not get a Tesla due to a bad delivery experience. Plus, we don’t hear of the thousands of good experiences each week.

Next will be the service centers. I can’t imagine Tesla is going to be able to keep up with the service demand, not to mention parts availability for the body shops.
I just picked up my P3D at Highland Park Chicago yesterday. VIN 100134. It was a very different experience than when we picked up my wife's X just a couple of months ago at the same store. A couple of weeks ago, I was notified the car would be available for pickup soon and made an appointment for pickup. As the date loomed, I was nervous that there might be a defect that would need to be remedied. We live near Green Bay, so the drive is roughly a 6 hour roundtrip. We didn't want to drive all the way down only to find there was an issue with the car. I called the store the day before and the morning of the appointment to try to confirm with someone that the car had been completely inspected and did not have any defects. I could not get in touch with anyone to verify that. I finally was able to speak to someone there who said that I would have gotten a call if there was an issue. Since I had not gotten a call, I could assume the car was ready. We made the drive down to the store, which appeared busy but not much different than when we had been down to get the X. We met with the person assigned to us for the delivery. Unfortunately, she did not do a very good job with the experience - not well-organized, did not explain things very well, nowhere near the delivery person we had for the X just a couple of months ago. He was excellent. I would rate that experience an A and this one with the model 3 a D.

Within 5 seconds of inspecting the car, I could see there were some scratches in the paint along the right front of the car. It's a white car, so these scratches were pretty obvious. The plastic headlight housing adjacent to the paint scratches also had a scratch. It appeared that something had lightly struck the car there. The delivery person said she had looked the car over but had not noticed the scratches. Once we pointed them out, she was surprised she had missed them. They took the car into the garage to see what could be done but it turns out the "paint guy" wasn't there that day. I was told that they would need to keep the car to fix these issues and once they were fixed they would deliver the car to me up in Appleton, Wisconsin. So, we had made the 6 hour roundtrip basically just to inspect the car and point out to Tesla that there were some obvious scratches that were not acceptable for a new car. Needless to say, I was disappointed. We discussed the repairs further and learned they could be repaired at a place near Milwaukee. We had used the repair shop there in the past, and they are excellent, so we felt very comfortable having them address these scratches. That at least enabled us to take the car with us, though we would have the inconvenience of driving down to Milwaukee at some point for the repair.

So, I can personally attest to a very different delivery experience for the 3 vs the X. Judging by the posts on the Model 3 forum, this was not a fluke. Tesla is going to need to adjust for the huge increase in the volume of deliveries. This is a great problem to have, but they need to put some significant energy into it, as Elon has indicated they are now. This is not to say that everyone must be having bad delivery experiences with the 3. However, it does seem apparent that there is a much higher percentage of poor delivery experiences with the 3.

As for the P3D itself - this car is an absolute tour de force. I've been driving an S for over 3 years. It took me a little time to get used to having the one central screen, but the driving experience and the aesthetics are outstanding. I was surprised that the 3 is quieter and more comfortable than my S. The seats are excellent. It also feels like there is more headroom compared with my S, along with plenty of room for passengers. I'm very impressed with the 3. Tesla has wonderful, very unique products. Now they are really going to need to focus on the service side to make sure their historically excellent service scales with the volume. Not an easy task I'm sure, but peanuts compared with the model 3 ramp.

BMW declared a while ago that "EV owner want that their cars are recognized as an EV". I wonder where this false information is coming from. They obviously did surveys and they did them wrong. I believe that EV owner want a good looking car but not something that looks like from a SF movie.

It absolutely cannot be due to the fact that if they make EV BMWs that look just like premium BMWs, then that would cannibalize their own premium ICE BMW sales, which sales they need to be able to build EV manufacturing capacity!

No, it must be because they ... surveyed that all EV consumers want sci-fi themed cars! ;)

I just picked up my P3D at Highland Park Chicago yesterday. VIN 100134. It was a very different experience than when we picked up my wife's X just a couple of months ago at the same store. A couple of weeks ago, I was notified the car would be available for pickup soon and made an appointment for pickup. As the date loomed, I was nervous that there might be a defect that would need to be remedied. We live near Green Bay, so the drive is roughly a 6 hour roundtrip. We didn't want to drive all the way down only to find there was an issue with the car. I called the store the day before and the morning of the appointment to try to confirm with someone that the car had been completely inspected and did not have any defects. I could not get in touch with anyone to verify that. I finally was able to speak to someone there who said that I would have gotten a call if there was an issue. Since I had not gotten a call, I could assume the car was ready. We made the drive down to the store, which appeared busy but not much different than when we had been down to get the X. We met with the person assigned to us for the delivery. Unfortunately, she did not do a very good job with the experience - not well-organized, did not explain things very well, nowhere near the delivery person we had for the X just a couple of months ago. He was excellent. I would rate that experience an A and this one with the model 3 a D.

Within 5 seconds of inspecting the car, I could see there were some scratches in the paint along the right front of the car. It's a white car, so these scratches were pretty obvious. The plastic headlight housing adjacent to the paint scratches also had a scratch. It appeared that something had lightly struck the car there. The delivery person said she had looked the car over but had not noticed the scratches. Once we pointed them out, she was surprised she had missed them. They took the car into the garage to see what could be done but it turns out the "paint guy" wasn't there that day. I was told that they would need to keep the car to fix these issues and once they were fixed they would deliver the car to me up in Appleton, Wisconsin. So, we had made the 6 hour roundtrip basically just to inspect the car and point out to Tesla that there were some obvious scratches that were not acceptable for a new car. Needless to say, I was disappointed. We discussed the repairs further and learned they could be repaired at a place near Milwaukee. We had used the repair shop there in the past, and they are excellent, so we felt very comfortable having them address these scratches. That at least enabled us to take the car with us, though we would have the inconvenience of driving down to Milwaukee at some point for the repair.

So, I can personally attest to a very different delivery experience for the 3 vs the X. Judging by the posts on the Model 3 forum, this was not a fluke. Tesla is going to need to adjust for the huge increase in the volume of deliveries. This is a great problem to have, but they need to put some significant energy into it, as Elon has indicated they are now. This is not to say that everyone must be having bad delivery experiences with the 3. However, it does seem apparent that there is a much higher percentage of poor delivery experiences with the 3.

As for the P3D itself - this car is an absolute tour de force. I've been driving an S for over 3 years. It took me a little time to get used to having the one central screen, but the driving experience and the aesthetics are outstanding. I was surprised that the 3 is quieter and more comfortable than my S. The seats are excellent. It also feels like there is more headroom compared with my S, along with plenty of room for passengers. I'm very impressed with the 3. Tesla has wonderful, very unique products. Now they are really going to need to focus on the service side to make sure their historically excellent service scales with the volume. Not an easy task I'm sure, but peanuts compared with the model 3 ramp.

Why is it that Tesla doesn’t wrapped the whole car in protective plastic as it leaves the factory? Here in San Diego st least they seem not to do that. The Maserati dealer next door has all its new cars completely wrapped in plastic. Why no spend a little extra to make sure the cars arrive in pristine condition?

It absolutely cannot be due to the fact that if they make EV BMWs that look just like premium BMWs, then that would cannibalize their own premium ICE BMW sales, which sales they need to be able to build EV manufacturing capacity!

No, it must be because they ... surveyed that all EV consumers want sci-fi themed cars! ;)
Are you _sure_ BMW even wants to make EV's or PHEV's?
remember Tesla used ~7.1 Million kWh in first 8 months of 2018, BMW used 2.7% if you add PHEV and EV, and a measly 1.7% if you only count pure EV's! Their biggest battery is 33kWh, short range
(data from insideevs for numbers sold)

upload_2018-9-16_9-32-39.png

Status
Not open for further replies.