Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The problem with the Model T scenario as you described above is that producing Model 3 SR is a zero sum game proposition.

Batteries that go into the Model 3 SR are batteries that don't go into 3P+ overseas or Powerwalls which are severely backlogged.

Slight amendment: modules that go into the Model 3 SR are fractions of batteries that don't go into 3P+ overseas.

Also, 1 RWD motor = 1/2 AWD motors.
Etc.
With the tax credit window closing, Tesla could use 2019 to push some extra SR+PUP in the USA.

• Helpful
Reactions: MikeC
I agree they won't sustain the current rate.

It will likely double in the next 12-18 months.

So, given the fact that you ignored my point about guidance, we can only assume what you are saying means:

1) You are attributing the current SP to ignoring guidance and instead expecting huge profitability

2) The actual guidance for deliveries was met

3) The guidance for the following year is for 2X Model 3'

4) Shorts apparently are pretending that guidance ALSO doesn't exist, and instead are short-sightedly assuming that current preduction dictates future profitability

Brilliant!

Just a handful of months ago, the narrative was they couldn’t sustain 2,000 Model 3’s per week.

1247338.gif

UK Prime Minister is likely to be available for Tesla chairmanship soon. She is well versed in robot technologies and screwing up Brexit means she will surely indulge Elon's Twitter habit.

LOL... Yes, we know the rest of the world is out there. But we also know that U.S. sales represent half of all Tesla revenue.

Karen, I still expect to see Tesla open configurations for Europe this month (including Iceland). It makes a lot more sense to keep pumping out LR AWD and P models to other markets before introducing the SR version here in the U.S. What none of us have the visibility to see is how much of the remaining demand is waiting for either the LR or SR. Only Tesla has that data and no one has leaked it...yet. Troy last reported he does not want to include the SR waiters on his spreadsheet until the configuration can be ordered.

I still believe once the SR is introduced it will require the ordering of other options as well. The true $35,000 model is still a long time away IMHO.

I don't expect a lower LR fraction on average outside the US than in it. There will of course be variations between markets (I expect for example a lower ASP in China than Norway), but overall, the US is probably a pretty good baseline.

I do agree that a "true $35k" Model 3 is a good ways off. 2H '19 perhaps. It's only logical - as with Model 3s in general - to start off with the most optioned-out configs. SR AWD PUP should still have both plenty of buyers and good margins (as well as freeing up some much-needed cell production capacity)

Reactions: jkirkwood001
It makes a lot more sense to keep pumping out LR AWD and P models to other markets before introducing the SR version here in the U.S. What none of us have the visibility to see is how much of the remaining demand is waiting for either the LR or SR. Only Tesla has that data and no one has leaked it...yet.

Tesla's delivery estimates for the domestic SR give some insight into that. They only have the one factory and it's at full stretch pumping out premium models for the RoW it can't be making significant numbers of SR.

• Helpful
Reactions: CorneliusXX
Is there a ban on export of Model 3 worldwide that I didn't know or something?!?!

It needs to be programmed into peoples heads that MODEL 3 ONLY FOR SALE IN UNITED STATES AND CANADA (presently).
We all know that. I think some of you are typing at the same time before responses get a chance to post.

So Wing. What percentage of Model 3 reservations would you attribute to:
1) U.S. versus the rest of the world?
2) Here in the U.S. SR vs LR?
3) SR vs LR in the rest of the world?

Assuming 500,000 total reservations...

I don't expect a lower LR fraction on average outside the US than in it. There will of course be variations between markets (I expect for example a lower ASP in China than Norway), but overall, the US is probably a pretty good baseline.

I do agree that a "true $35k" Model 3 is a good ways off. 2H '19 perhaps. It's only logical - as with Model 3s in general - to start off with the most optioned-out configs. SR AWD PUP should still have both plenty of buyers and good margins (as well as freeing up some much-needed cell production capacity)
Completely agree!

I actually think the true $35,000 Model 3 configuration should be built and exported from the new Chinese plant once it is finished and not built in Fremont ever. I think there is enough demand for an optioned SR to last until the Chinese factory is operational. That will keep margins up until then. That is just how I would move the chess pieces on the global board.

Your take on the global LR percentage is spot on too. Here in the U.S. the SR base model will be a popular commuter car. But globally, there are cheaper commuter car EV options. Global buyers are going to pick a Model 3 for the speed and acceleration and creature comforts. My friends in Europe buy lifestyle cars, not basic transportation.

Last edited:
So now the narrative is not "hugely" profitable?

BTW., beyond moving the goalposts note the sleight of hand shorts are performing there as well: the real financial metric to look for is what led to Amazon's meteoric rise: which is not profits but cash generation ability.

And that's going to be a huge story in Q3: over 1 billion dollars of cash generated, ~$600m of that invested into payments for Model 3 lines, the rest positive cash flow in the $600m-$700m range:

s deliveries
x deliveries
s+x deliveries
3 deliveries
3 production
revenue
zev credits
total auto
services/other
total revenue
gross profit
[capex outflow]
net change in cash
cash & eq end
[TD2] luv q4-18e [/TD2][TD2] luv q3-18e [/TD2][TD2] Jun-18 [/TD2][TD2] Mar-18 [/TD2] [TD2]15,000[/TD2][TD2]14,470[/TD2][TD2]10,939[/TD2][TD2]11,738[/TD2] [TD2]13,000[/TD2][TD2]13,190[/TD2][TD2]11,380[/TD2][TD2]10,077[/TD2] [TD2] 28,000 [/TD2][TD2] 27,660 [/TD2][TD2] 22,319 [/TD2][TD2] 21,815 [/TD2] [TD2] 62,000 [/TD2][TD2] 55,840 [/TD2][TD2] 18,449 [/TD2][TD2] 8,182 [/TD2] [TD2] 60,000 [/TD2][TD2] 53,239 [/TD2][TD2] 28,578 [/TD2][TD2] 9,766 [/TD2] [TD2]100,000[/TD2][TD2]100,000[/TD2][TD2]0[/TD2][TD2]50,314[/TD2] [TD2] 6,575,927 [/TD2][TD2] 6,271,233 [/TD2][TD2] 3,357,681 [/TD2][TD2] 2,735,317 [/TD2] [TD2]300,000[/TD2][TD2]300,000[/TD2][TD2]270,142[/TD2][TD2]263,412[/TD2] [TD2] 7,299,027 [/TD2][TD2] 6,942,683 [/TD2][TD2] 4,002,231 [/TD2][TD2] 3,408,751 [/TD2] [TD2] 1,653,981 [/TD2][TD2] 1,371,110 [/TD2][TD2] 618,930 [/TD2][TD2] 456,526 [/TD2] [TD2]-700,000[/TD2][TD2]-600,000[/TD2][TD2]-609,813[/TD2][TD2]-655,662[/TD2] [TD2] 573,978 [/TD2][TD2] 721,161 [/TD2][TD2] -436,470 [/TD2][TD2] -745,251 [/TD2] [TD2] 3,531,562 [/TD2][TD2] 2,957,585 [/TD2][TD2] 2,236,424 [/TD2][TD2] 2,665,673 [/TD2]

Amazon was barely profitable during much of its corporate life, yet it became a trillion dollar company because it was barely profitable: it reinvested most of its internally generated cash into future growth:

amazoncashmachine.png

That trillion dollar Tesla outlook is what shorts are trying to divert attention from.

And once the Q3 report is out this will become very obvious through the financials, and I think shorts are going lose control of the stock price quickly.

Not advice though. :D

Last edited:
[Insert reminder #389182 to Americans that there exists a world outside of America] ;)

In Tesla's case, about 2/3rds of their market.

Also a reminder that Tesla is not yet offering vehicle leases, maintains only a sparse store network, does zero advertising, that word-of-mouth (which has worked brilliantly for Model 3) spreads proportional to the number of cars on the road, that many people prefer not to get a car that's in its first 1-2 model years, and about a dozen other things.

I'd add that within the next quarter, Tesla should have another 100K sales people, the happy customers that own a 3.

As this product proliferates in U.S. markets, many more will jump on board and order.

If after burning up a huge portion of the pent-up demand only produces a small profit through some creative engineering of the levers, where is the sustainability? THAT is what is holding down the SP.

Does that language sound better to you? ;)
Sounds stupid to me, given that they only delivered 1/4 of the pre-existing reservations, and the order book is increasing.

Anecdote: had by booster shot of Shingles vaccine today, and one nurse asked if I was doing anything interesting for the rest of the day. I mentioned I was getting a new car. The two of them went gaga that I am (hopefully, still won't believe it until it arrives) getting our M3 in a couple of hours.

You can call and use these cars for whatever purposes you want. They still represent an unrecovered cost to Tesla, will sit on the books as FGI, and represent unrealized profits.
... until they are sold in 3-6 months, when they become income. Just like the other old inventory that gets regularly sold off.

I'm really surprised we aren't seeing the stock closer to where it was before the tweet. They exceeded their numbers, no other real problems, what's the deal?

Big institutions buying and selling shares move the share price, which can be readily seen by looking retrospectively at the periods in which Tencent and PIF were building their positions. Those institutions hold less than the 5% disclosure threshold so there is no visibility of how they are others may be adjusting their holdings as they evaluate all the controversies in the last several months.

And yet, this "reputable news organization" got the date of the settlement wrong. They said Saturday, Musk settled on Friday. What else did they get wrong?

And are they lying or just incompetent?
The main point about NYT and other traditional news organizations is that they don't lie. But, they do print sources who lie. That is why they are supposed to check with multiple sources - but if those sources co-ordinate behind the scene, NYT will get it wrong.

Ofcourse, what they print depends on who they talk to. They select who they talk to - like all journalists - based on tips or contacts they already have. That is where the systemic errors creep in.

Status
Not open for further replies.