Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The level of FUD necessary to corrupt the linked video to mean anything bad is extreme. As a close watcher of Rich Rebuilds, I was in no illusion about the mistakes he made. I had identified the mistakes he had made in prior videos about the Daisy. When he posted the unfortunate event, he specifically identified the many mistakes he made, NONE of which Tesla makes. Since a lot of intentionally stupid people didn't understand that, he posted a followup video explaining all of this in very simple terms.

Tesla batteries are far safer than ICE gasoline tanks and engines. I drove past not one, but TWO gasoline car fires that I think were fatal when I came home from my friend's house a few weeks ago, and neither was an electric vehicle. Did you see the news about those gasoline car fires? Most likely not, which is my point. Pure FUD.
Plus you have to add in all the deaths due to carbon monoxide (ignoring general deaths related to ICE pollution).

Reactions: wipster
OT

So it's more complex than that: the normal operations of commercial banks is not that they take out loans from the central bank.
Yes, and the normal operation is that they minimize the amount on reserve at the central bank.

But for the last 10 years the Federal Reserve has paid interest on reserves: this changes the incentives, so now banks are parking tons of money at the Fed in the form of reserves, because free money.

Doing weird stuff at the central bank causes commercial banks to change their behavior.

Also note that under the Swedish program the central bank buys bonds from commercial banks and takes them on their balance sheet. They got cash in exchange, and that cash then starts dwindling away at a negative interest rate.
It's always important to distinguish between borrowing rates and lending rates, and repo rates which are something else again. This is a repo rate so it's an attempt to discourage banks from dumping their bonds on the central bank.

Negative interest rates aren't working for Japan, though.

But note that there is another interest rate program that is commonly confused with negative interest rates, and which program is a bank prop-up in disguise, and the Federal Reserve did use this facility: paying a positive interest rate on excess reserves. That program is indeed a hidden profit source for the banking sector - and it didn't even stimulate the economy.
Ah, you knew about it too!

meanwhile in norway..

upload_2018-12-20_13-8-20.jpeg

• Funny
Reactions: lklundin
OT

My personal point of view is that Model 3 leasing will begin in the US Quarter 1 of 2019
I'm guessing no chance on that timeline.

Tesla has very patient European and Chinese customers *and* a tariff reason to steer cars to China; they've also drained the US non-Standard-Range backlist; I think we're going to see unusually low US Model 3 sales during Q1 2019 due to the foreign deliveries, and accordingly no reason to start leasing.

Maybe Q2. But late in Q1 I expect to see the Standard Range car delivered to the US, which should carry them through Q2 without needing to lease Model 3...

They might get a new lease partner for Model S & X anyway though.

December is a QUADRUPLE witching month, so EXTRA witching

The "funny" rating is for the phrase "extra witching"

I know NOBODY wants to hear this, but 29x. coming.. maybe not today, but I think she's coming. Not a bd thing long term.

Any ideas about the timing? I have options at various strikes and expirations. I'll be fine with a 29x price at any time, but I'll have to manage my portfolio differently depending on the timing, so I wonder what scenarios you are looking at.

Reactions: Dig deeper
It would not surprise me if Tesla cuts a factory deal with a state that currently by law bans Tesla from having stores or service centers, or for which such are at risk due to the ongoing fights with auto dealers and the likes of GM. So, Ohio, Michigan, Texas... even Connecticut would be interesting. But it seems too soon for Tesla to be thinking about more factories in the U.S., no? I mean, it has yet to start on a European factory.
OT

Good off-topic potential discussion that has significant potential to affect the TSLA SP.

I sense that a large decision point will be the ex-GM employee's attitude about their current UAW membership. Will they be willing to drop the union for a job opportunity at Tesla?

Even more interesting: what will be their governor's position? Or that of the state Reps and Senators? Those are the people that are in the pocket of the respective auto dealers associations who boug---, I mean, demanded protective legislation.

[MODs - feel free to move this to the politics area...]

A trader just opened up a deep In-The-Money bull put spread. They sold 250 of the Jan18 $500 puts and bought 250 Jan18 $550 puts. Wouldn't this imply a price of $500-$550 for max profit? Anyone know about spreads?

He has a strong belief stock is going down. I priced it AMC and it was $50.54. That was near the low today. So he spent over $1.25 M.

• Informative
Reactions: Artful Dodger
But late in Q1 I expect to see the Standard Range car delivered to the US, which should carry them through Q2 without needing to lease Model 3...
Elon just stated in 60 minutes that he needs 5-6 months for SR. So, not Q1. I think it will take around 2 Qs to clear out high trim reservations backlog from Europe/China and once that's out of the way, SR comes out.

• Informative
Reactions: neroden
OT

Triple Witching Day is what it was called when I was in the financial news business in Chicago. It was invented by traders at the Chicago exchanges. It referred to the major quarterly (Mar, Jun, Sep, Dec) expirations of stock index futures, stock index options, and individual stock options. Actually that involves thousands of specific asset types, but could be divided into three classes.

I am told that "Triple Witching Hour" was an expansion of the original investment "Witching Hour", which was the period from 3 to 4 PM on monthly options expiration Friday, which was known for crazy, eerie, mysterious swings in stock prices.

I'm not sure how old the "witching hour" term is, but I'm wondering whether it predates listed quotes for options, which started in 1973. Curt might know.

Back before that, when all options were traded OTC, with no price quotes, and position sizes were secret, it was REALLY hard for anyone to predict what all the options holders were planning to do in the stock market on that day!

The life is so simple if you are long. You are just paying attention on your free cash flow, focusing fundamentals, outstanding business model, future, competitors, identifying FUD, decoupling your mind from Nasdaq...

You are happy and you save a lot of nerves. ;)

True. Wish I had never learned about options. Too much stress when I over-focus. I should just buy shares or deep ITM LEAPS and zone out.

Big battery issues in terms of range, particularly under certain situations

You didn't clarify "certain situations" -- but Tesla (and other EV, I believe) drivers in cold weather areas experience (significantly) decreased range. Even with pre-heating, I lost ~30 rated on a 11.7 mile commute yesterday AM -- I know worst case scenario, etc. but that's also a "situation".
Can't argue about other items.

Sold 350 shares of TSLA for 76 shares of AMZN.

Doing reverse: had to put some AMZN gains into Tesla today (@314.52, not daily low, but oh well -- next order will put me over 1k shares at 28x.xx); my relative entry point for AMZN is where many of your relative entries were for TSLA.

OT but thank you for that, We have Nantwich, Middlewich and Northwich, All historic salt producing towns / villages in Cheshire at least back to Roman times. Always wondered why only 3.
Ask and ye shall be answered. There are only three because of that dastardly Northwich Urban District Council:

Leftwich is a village in Cheshire, England. It has been absorbed into the town of Northwich, and is situated within the unitary authority of Cheshire West and Chester. The name, given as merely 'Wice' in the Domesday Book, is written 'Leftetewych' in a document of 1278 and derives from 'Leoftæt's wic' (Leoftæt being a woman's name).[1]

Leftwich was historically a manor and township, comprising most of the area between the rivers Weaver and Dane. As well as encompassing the area around Davenham parish church, Leftwich also extended slightly to the north of the River Dane, including the site of the former Northwich Memorial Hall.[2]

In 1894 the northern half of Leftwich, which since 1880 had formed part of the Northwich Local Board district, was added to the civil parish and urban district of Northwich. In 1936 Leftwich civil parish ceased to exist, and all of its population was transferred to the civil parish of Davenham; however, most of the same area was subsequently annexed to Northwich in 1955, following the post-war construction of a large housing estate at Leftwich Green by Northwich Urban District Council

OT:

Well, it IS looking more and more likely that we're going to have a federal government shut-down, vs. the deal that was made with 100% consensus in the senate yesterday. Now, appearing to be scuttled due to the OI

That's what is hitting is a second time today.

Oh boy. So the idiot House Republican right-wingers are siding with Trump, because they're total dumbasses. Pelosi says they don't have the votes for a bill with billions of dollars in stupid wall funding. Pelosi is one *hell* of a vote counter; the odds are she's right, even though this would require 20 House GOP members to say no to the wall funding.

The Senate is likely to balk as well; many Republican Senators don't like to be blackmailed by idiots. So, high odds of shutdown and a clean bill in two weeks.

If they somehow manage to cram it through by knuckling under to Trump, the idiot wall funding is going to be passed by the narrowest of margins and -- being deeply unpopular -- will help elect Democrats. It might even be rescinded.

I’m hopeful the reason is European homologation or slow downs in preparation for SR production. I am scared that it is because of lower demand.

Well, having counted, they seem to have finally burned through the reservation list for people who wanted longer range and premium interior and lived in the US or Canada. If you do the math based on Tesla getting to 6000 cars per week, you conclude that this rather limited market must now, in its steady state, be smaller than 300,000/year. Does this *actually* surprise anyone?

So yes, they're getting ready for European and Chinese production, prepping for SR production, and taking the time to resolve production bottlenecks. And yes, they're finally producing cars faster than demand for Long Range and Medium Range Premium Interior cars in the United States and Canada.

If they'd been able to sell 300,000/year of those, I'd have been shocked. The only vehicles which sell more than that in the US are the Honda Accord, Toyota Corolla, Honda Civic, Toyota Camry, Honda CR-V, Nissan Rogue, Toyota RAV4, Ram Pickup and "Ford F-Series" (which is a cheat because it's four different models). All of these are a lot cheaper. We'll have to wait for the base model to come out before US demand exceeds this level. That should be sometime in Q2.

Status
Not open for further replies.