Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Technical Analysis

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just pull up keltner channel, and bollinger band indicators in active trader pro / fidelity.
Carter sells his own proprietary software add-on for use.
He also recommends using a 12 period momentum oscillator in conjunction.
is there a way to somewhat generate a Keltner channel if all I have is a close price as it looks like a tube BB without the SD expansion/contractions, ie, use the SMA and +/- a tiny bit, tweaking it with a "fudge factor"

Updated BB(30,3) numbers highlighting possible hard SP limit for tomorrow (9/19). I'll only post these when we are trading near or above/below the BB(20,2). I don't want to clutter this thread.

Screen Shot 2017-09-18 at 8.56.51 PM.png

Some observations on the 2SD-3SD indicator we're following:

TSLA:

View attachment 248385

NVDA:

View attachment 248386

So we see TSLA staying within the expanding Bollinger Bands (above 2SD, below 3SD). Whereas NVDA has exceeded the 3SD. Our current working hypothesis is that once the SP hits or exceeds the 3SD it should stay put or bounce back. If this is correct, tomorrow NVDA's gains should be more muted as the 3SD bollinger band's expansion catches up to the SP. I expect it to stay above the 2SD, probably for another 3 days or so--if history is any guide.

TSLA staying in the mid range of 2SD-3SD is hopeful to me. Keeping above the 2SD follows the continuation pattern, and keeping below the 3SD hopefully allows the SP to continue up.... gracefully. I'm optimistic.

Notice both stocks are in the "expansion" phase of their Bollinger cycle (squeeze--expansion--contraction--squeeze, repeat).

FWIW, spent a good amount of the weekend looking at Elliot Waves of TSLA. Getting a SP range between 400-556. Higher SP if this Wave 5 forms an extension, lowest number is most conservative (I did get one more lower value, but it has been passed already, so that Fibonacci ratio has been passed).

One number I kept running across with my calculations is 427.

Your NVDA's observation is very interesting. It's even greater than the upper BB(30,3). It's done this before. In statistical process control terms, this is known as a mean shift. The tall tell signs seem to be the strong gap up pattern. The $1M question is to identify an early mean shift vs an outlier. I think the gap up is strong evidence for a mean shift imo. My guess is there was some sort of trigger back in May 10 that caused the mean shift. I don't follow NVDA close enough to know though.

Screen Shot 2017-09-18 at 9.12.42 PM.png

Reactions: GoTslaGo
Your NVDA's observation is very interesting. It's even greater than the upper BB(30,3). It's done this before. In statistical process control terms, this is known as a mean shift. The tall tell signs seem to be the strong gap up pattern. The $1M question is to identify an early mean shift vs an outlier. I think the gap up is strong evidence for a mean shift imo. My guess is there was some sort of trigger back in May 10 that caused the mean shift. I don't follow NVDA close enough to know though.

View attachment 248458

Great ER May 10-- I remember, because I practically yelled at my wife (as much as I could via text) to buy NVDA at market at the close, before the ER*. She hates buying at market, always prefers to have a buy limit hit.

Agree, I think it will be a mean shift (thanks for teaching me that). Very similar to May 10 pattern. That's why I think the SP will go up, but not like today, and likely fall at the upper 3SD for tomorrow. My WAG...

*it formed a Homing pigeon(+) 2 day candle pattern, with an inverted hammer as the 2nd day. IIRC the intra-day pattern didn't look like day 2 was going to change significantly at the last minute. This was an actual ST trade where I took advantage of the candles and it worked out...especially around ER--not the wisest move btw.

• Informative
Reactions: D-egg-O
I'm curious, is there already an indicator that combines (?) sentiment(?) and momentum and such like the following
1) A/D line is +155 million since 11/30/2016
2)) avg daily vol over that time is 1.010 Billion shares, or ~15+% of shares traded are upward pressure (198 days time avg daily vol)

at present, i'm not so much interested in the slope, since it a VERY nice upwards slope, but more if it is "rolling over" or flattening in advance of rolling over.
1st deriviative is acceleration
2nd derivitive is rate of change of acceleration (slowing down or rolling over)
or is there already an indicator

(and does anyone know where I can get raw data of A/D line? schwab holds it pretty close to the vest

I'm not familiar with the A/D line.
A/D line is basically total number of shares bought at higher prices vs total number of shares sold at lower prices.
So, out of the appx 1 Billion shares traded 11/30/2016 to present (6x the number of TSLA shares), 155 million were bought at slightly higher prices than sold at slightly lower prices, during which time TSLA went from $179 to $380+, over 100%
If you look, the A/D line overall declined from April, 2016 to 11/30/2016 about 66 million shares overall downwards.

What i still find intriguing, is the turnaround virtually coincided with the Robin Hood investing conference, of millionaires and billionaires, where Mark B Spiegel gave his 152 page powerpoint presentation, that looked like a 3am get it done for an 8am class and extremely unprofessional in my opinion, about why Tesla should go to a zero valuation, giving me more confidence in it as Ron Baron is looking for TSLA to go far far up in price and value, over the next 10-15 years

Schwab has it as one of their indicators but refuses to let you get raw data so i have to eyeball stuff

A/D line is basically total number of shares bought at higher prices vs total number of shares sold at lower prices.
So, out of the appx 1 Billion shares traded 11/30/2016 to present (6x the number of TSLA shares), 155 million were bought at slightly higher prices than sold at slightly lower prices, during which time TSLA went from $179 to $380+, over 100%
If you look, the A/D line overall declined from April, 2016 to 11/30/2016 about 66 million shares overall downwards.

What i still find intriguing, is the turnaround virtually coincided with the Robin Hood investing conference, of millionaires and billionaires, where Mark B Spiegel gave his 152 page powerpoint presentation, that looked like a 3am get it done for an 8am class and extremely unprofessional in my opinion, about why Tesla should go to a zero valuation, giving me more confidence in it as Ron Baron is looking for TSLA to go far far up in price and value, over the next 10-15 years

Schwab has it as one of their indicators but refuses to let you get raw data so i have to eyeball stuff
How can I get Marks 153 pages? I want a good laugh.

Revisiting the 2SD/3SD idea we've talked about:

TSLA:

IMG_0123.jpg

NVDA:

IMG_0128.jpg

So this is interesting. NVDA did what I think we predicted. It basically flattened out and allowed the SP to fall back below the 3SD, while keeping above the 2SD. This also fits with it's recent price history (see May circled). So would expect another 1-2 days of this movement, but slowing falling back to the 2SD and then back under.

TSLA however, flipped back under the 2SD today. But if you look at recent price history, TSLA doesn't tend to stay above the 2SD for long. An example (circled) showed only 2 days, then it fell back. This run was actually one of the better ones (3 days above 2SD). Most tend to be 2-3 days in this 2-3 SD range.

So why?

My guess is profit taking/rebalancing (we've seen some here on TMC) and shorts. The question will be whether we are seeing profit taking from the remainder of the convertibles from Fidelity--which is a distinct possibility. My gut though, is the shorts.

Short interest:

TSLA:

IMG_0129.jpg

NVDA:

IMG_0126.jpg

So my gut is that the lower short interest in NVDA is likely to let it run more in price. As long as TSLA has a significant short interest, these strong upward SP movements will likely be capped out at around 2-3 days.

FWIW, most of the last days in the 2SD-3SD range (before it falls back below 2SD) seems to have long upper wicks on the candles. Usually small bodies and spinning tops.

This time the real body was pretty long, which fooled me to think that this time may be different. I'll put this as a learning moment... and I think I'll start calling these moderate sized real bodies with long wicks "Tootsie roll" days, for lack of a better description.

• Informative
Reactions: erthquake
To be stay consistent with @GoTslaGo , I've change the table to reflect potential price points that equal the BB(20,2) and BB(20,3) when trading either near the upper or lower bands. Notice how much greater the SP has to be to equal the 3SD upper band (one can dream). You can still access the tracking sheet with all the data (including BB(30,3) info as well) here.

2SD potential daily price upper bound for 9/20
Screen Shot 2017-09-19 at 8.49.45 PM.png

3SD potential daily price upper bound for 9/20
Screen Shot 2017-09-19 at 8.47.45 PM.png

FWIW, I've now read several things from technical analysts who seem to know what they're talking about who say they see signs of steady institutional buying presure. This is starting to look more like an ascending triangle since June...

The shorts seem to be over their $10 billion budget as of end of August. I'm not expecting particularly good numbers in October, but they don't have much longer to find an exit strategy.