Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Trading Strategies

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A local top.

Yeah, after a big run-up there's almost invariably a bit of a pull-back. There's no news that's particularly driving it, this is just the way the stock works. I'm seeing July as a strong month with a deliveries beat a few days into the month and a Model X reveal. For these reasons, I'm hanging loose and waiting for the upward progression to begin again in its good time. If I had more time to devote to watching this stock, I'd likely play the dip, but I just lack the time for it and am confident of the prospects for a great July.

For the record, I chickened out and redeployed most of my new cash, but in shares only. De-leveraged out of leaps and medium term calls for shares and cash. I am just incapable of taking a bear position on TSLA, even when I should, so the only thing I can seem to modulate is how leveraged I am.

For the record, I chickened out and redeployed most of my new cash, but in shares only. De-leveraged out of leaps and medium term calls for shares and cash. I am just incapable of taking a bear position on TSLA, even when I should, so the only thing I can seem to modulate is how leveraged I am.

Well, you did better than I. I had been well with my venture back into weeklies as we rose over the last few weeks. This week: Crash and burn.... Stabilization in the stock price (taking a breather is really good overall) really can kill you with calls or puts.

Well, you did better than I. I had been well with my venture back into weeklies as we rose over the last few weeks. This week: Crash and burn.... Stabilization in the stock price (taking a breather is really good overall) really can kill you with calls or puts.

I had a mini crash and burn. I bought May 22 $250's last week that fizzled. I sold them for scrap yesterday and was happy to do it.

I will be buying Sept calls spreads because tesla options are getting too expensive again.

Target is $260 for break even. I will be selling a put somewhere in June when some more of my cash capital gets freed up.

There is no logical reason. I just remembered the last share holder meeting being a positive event. My crystal ball mood indicator reached 10 and the fact that I will be landing in Canada on the day of the shareholder meeting.

Sept date is because we have about 3 events for this. Shareholder meeting. q2 cc and potential model X. The IV has mispriced the potential for 3 events

I will be buying Sept calls spreads because tesla options are getting too expensive again.

Target is $260 for break even. I will be selling a put somewhere in June when some more of my cash capital gets freed up.

There is no logical reason. I just remembered the last share holder meeting being a positive event. My crystal ball mood indicator reached 10 and the fact that I will be landing in Canada on the day of the shareholder meeting.

Sept date is because we have about 3 events for this. Shareholder meeting. q2 cc and potential model X. The IV has mispriced the potential for 3 events

I am completely out of TSLA options for the time being as well, as they are too expensive on both sides. No calls, no puts. My core shares remain untouched until volume production of Model 3 begins, natch.

I am vaguely considering getting completely out of US-based short term holdings in my wider portfolio. Still long common shares in TSLA, but I just don't like this market, too "deer in headlights" waiting for the Fed to hike. It's like Waiting for Godot.

I am increasingly intrigued by ForEx opportunities and overseas markets, but more difficult to time.

Basically, I am becoming a macro trader. Who knew.

I am completely out of TSLA options for the time being as well, as they are too expensive on both sides. No calls, no puts. My core shares remain untouched until volume production of Model 3 begins, natch.
I agree about options being expensive so I've been writing some puts. I can't stand to see a bunch of cash just sitting there so I am using it to write puts. I'm fine with getting or not getting shares out of it. It might be smarter to just put the cash to work via common shares instead of puts but I have my core shares as well and I like covering both bases.

I am holding my core shares, some trading shares and J17 LEAPS and Sept calls purchased a couple weeks ago. While I realize the market is frothy I still believe that TSLA has more potential upside than downside over the next 3-4 months.

Something I just started dabbling in is buying puts in companies that look to be disrupted in the short-term by Tesla. The idea being that if you believe the market to be overbought and that there might be a correction, some of the companies/industries that Tesla threatens will get hit twice as hard - once by the market, and once by reduced market-share from Tesla competition. I missed this opportunity with some of the coal names and I'm now looking at some utilities and peak/emergency power providers as potential victims of the giga-factory. This has kind of a "Friend of my Enemy" feel with some of the fossil fuel plays.

Something I just started dabbling in is buying puts in companies that look to be disrupted in the short-term by Tesla. The idea being that if you believe the market to be overbought and that there might be a correction, some of the companies/industries that Tesla threatens will get hit twice as hard - once by the market, and once by reduced market-share from Tesla competition. I missed this opportunity with some of the coal names and I'm now looking at some utilities and peak/emergency power providers as potential victims of the giga-factory. This has kind of a "Friend of my Enemy" feel with some of the fossil fuel plays.

I really like this but who can you target in the short term. Long term I see Tesla disrupting many companies but in the term of a put I am less sure of any. I would love to hear some of your ideas. I am becoming increasingly worried about the whole market turning over and this might be a good route to take.

I am vaguely considering getting completely out of US-based short term holdings in my wider portfolio. Still long common shares in TSLA, but I just don't like this market, too "deer in headlights" waiting for the Fed to hike. It's like Waiting for Godot.

I am increasingly intrigued by ForEx opportunities and overseas markets, but more difficult to time.

Basically, I am becoming a macro trader. Who knew.

I did. Makes an absolute sense to me as you are bringing much needed macro perspective to the Forum.

I am trying to play the current ascend of TSLA by setting time delayed "free" bull spreads. So far have Jan 16 $200-210 and $220-245 "free" spreads, which I will consider cashing out of at above 85% of the full value.

I am also playing weekly game by buying shares on Mondays and simultaneously selling weekly calls against them at the same or nearest higher strike price to the price at which I bought the shares. I am able to pocket about $3 to $3.50 per share per week in premiums.

I also started buying "catastrophic" insurance in the form of monthly puts at about $60 lower strike than the current SP. I am spending a small fraction of the weekly play described above to pay for this insurance in case macro situation turns ugly.

--------------------------
Update: just to clarify, al of the above is done using margin. My overall strategy is TSLA shares accumulation. All proceeds of the above margin plays are converted to shares which I hold, as of now, indefinitely. I did not sell a single share accumulated as described above since starting buying in December of 2012.

Last edited:
Analyst Recommendations - 05/27

Hi guys - the latest analyst recommendation...Adam Jonas is reiterating his PT and recommendation (".../Cautious":wink:)
I also modified the list a bit by using descending order, so from the highest to lowest PT. Guess it's an interesting overview.

Attachments

• TSLA_ANR_05 27.bmp
    379.8 KB · Views: 515
  • ANR TSLA PT rankings.JPG
    ANR TSLA PT rankings.JPG
    135.4 KB · Views: 504
I think the term coiled applies to what we saw today and yesterday. The market is waiting for Tesla to clarify things before it decides whether Tesla will run to $300 or re-test $230. Also, big money was busy with Apple and Google today.

Model X reveal, a statement about how many orders Tesla has received for battery storage, and the reveal of the Model X are all possible catalysts. It's also possible Tesla will reveal an early version of the Model 3. Something tells me Tesla will announce how many orders it has received for the Powerwall and Powerpack. This would force Panasonic to accelerate and probably increase its investment in the Gigafactory.

Last edited: