Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Trading Strategies

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wow, I'm strongly considering moving my May $230s and $240s out to a further month if this premarket move holds/accelerates as they will be very green. Another thought is to roll them up, same number of contracts, and keep the difference. Anyone else thinking about this? Making a risk free spread would be smart too but I would rather not limit upside at this point.

Actually this is just what I am thinking. I have some May 15 and May 22 contracts that I'm thinking of rolling out to June and/or September. It just feels like an unneccesary risk now and I'm very happy with the potential leverage a few months out too.

Actually this is just what I am thinking. I have some May 15 and May 22 contracts that I'm thinking of rolling out to June and/or September. It just feels like an unneccesary risk now and I'm very happy with the potential leverage a few months out too.

By rolling out (my strategy) I feel I am catching any positives that comes out of the Q1 ER/CC and if there is a drop at that event then time to recuperate/gain from the shareholder's meeting (always something good out of these), Gfactory progress (maybe even a second one starting), more strategic partnerships with battery storage, and model X reveal/production.

By rolling out (my strategy) I feel I am catching any positives that comes out of the Q1 ER/CC and if there is a drop at that event then time to recuperate/gain from the shareholder's meeting (always something good out of these), Gfactory progress (maybe even a second one starting), more strategic partnerships with battery storage, and model X reveal/production.

Exactly, you put it more eloquent. That's why the majority of my short terms are in June/September/December now. I'll probably keep a minor position in May 22 just as a fun play, in case they go worthless it's all fine.

Sold 10 June 19 270s for $3.90 at the surge. From the profit bought 20 June 19 300s for .90 on the dip into $233 area. Moving the lottery tickets out. Good move....who knows, it is the lottery.:eek:

Wow, just wow to the unfolding of todays price action. We almost stamped 242 pre-market, open up with a surge to 239 and then dropped like a stone. Unfortunately I was 10 minutes late to my platform and didn't have time to sell on the surge, which I had planned, then I waited a little for the rebound, which hasn't come and now I'm kind of like a deer in the headlights not knowing wether to unload my May's or just wait for a rebound (which I think will happend at some point today). Grats to you guys who managed to capitalize on that beautiful surge, and rebuy on the dip.

Sold out my last May calls. Could have made more $$ selling earlier but decided to take profit and apply some of it to more June 19 300 calls @.85. These may become worthless but I am OK with the risk /reward.

I'm using a similar strategy but in a more conservative fashion. I've sold all my June 180s over the past few days, (purchased back when we were below 200 and didn't want to risk substantial profit with the ER). I am holding onto my Sept 200s for the ER, though. If we see a suitable dip on Wednesday I will redeploy some of my June call money into Sept. calls. I see the Model X reveal as a bit of an insurance policy with September calls (it will backfire, though, if Model X deliveries fall behind by two months).

Last edited:
I'm using a similar strategy but in a more conservative fashion. I've sold all my June 180s over the past few days, (purchased back when we were below 200 and didn't want to risk substantial profit with the ER). I am holding onto my Sept 200s for the ER, though. If we see a suitable dip on Wednesday I will redeploy some of my June call money into Sept. calls. I see the Model X reveal as a bit of an insurance policy with September calls (it will backfire, though, if Model X deliveries fall behind by two months).
Oh, so young, yet so cynical :rolleyes:. I sold 1/2 my May 15 240s position (1/2 bought in April, 1/2 on Friday) and now have some cash to deploy tomorrow. Mulling over strategies tonight. I have may 15 240s, June 220s and 230s and September 220s, 230s and 250s. Going to sleep on it and see how things go in the morning. Good luck all.

I moved the June $225 put I wrote to a June $210 and realized a lot of profit on it since I wrote it a bit ago. Everyone is expecting a huge move so its' possible we don't! This way if we get a small move I can still make some money without risking as much as my June $225 did.

I woke up this morning expecting the price to have gone up. I have had a bunch of options expiring this week or next for some time, mostly comfortably green. Then I saw the pre-market and the news articles about cash burn, and I thought "What have these guys been smoking?". So I poised my finger to buy a bunch of weeklies as soon as the market opened; I got $227.50 calls for $1.73ish. Sold half of them 15 minutes later for $4. Holding the other half for the moment, for what is (22 minutes later) a 4x profit with no possible downside any more.

A rare opportunity. It pays to follow the AJs, remembering that one is sensible all the time and the other is reliably... excited.

I woke up this morning expecting the price to have gone up. I have had a bunch of options expiring this week or next for some time, mostly comfortably green. Then I saw the pre-market and the news articles about cash burn, and I thought "What have these guys been smoking?". So I poised my finger to buy a bunch of weeklies as soon as the market opened; I got $227.50 calls for $1.73ish. Sold half of them 15 minutes later for $4. Holding the other half for the moment, for what is (22 minutes later) a 4x profit with no possible downside any more.

A rare opportunity. It pays to follow the AJs, remembering that one is sensible all the time and the other is reliably... excited.

Very well played sir!

I didn't purchase anything at open unfortunately, I was busy assessing the damage when it opened up at $220 as I went in unhedged as I was expecting the opposite movement. I decided to take losses and close out my June 240, 250, 260 and thankfully I managed to do that on the rebound between 228-231, so it wasn't a catastrophic loss as some of these were bought early on. I still have 220 and 230's Junes as I think there's a good possibility we might be seeing some heavy analyst upgrades in the near future. The proceeds will be deployed into September and December plays as I think it will give ample time for dispelling of FUD, but also give the public and market a chance to see the engineering brilliance of Tesla as they unveil the Model X sometime late this summer. Good luck to all.

Had to focus on my 'real' job this AM and missed the short term call buying party:mad:. I will have to go out to September to grab some for slower future appreciation. Glad to hear that many of you were willing/able to make some nice gains:wink:

listening to the call yesterday i was struck by how much positive stuff is going to be happening right at the end of this year / early 2016 (model x ramp, stationary storage ramp and being transitioned to gigafactory production during 1Q2016)-- i personally feel like 2017 LEAPs are going to capture the biggest upside, as i don't think the market is necessarily going to reward TSLA for all of the positive things they are doing until they are in the books.

along those lines, elon's comments about how when a quarter end falls and having a hard time predicting whether the huge model x ramp happens before, during or after 12/31/15 makes me a little nervous about trying to predict how successfully the model x is going to ramp by the end of this year.

i guess the real question is where the stock goes from here -- obviously hard to predict -- i go back and forth between the following two scenarios:

i) the shorts will use today's weakness as a window to pull down the price significantly
ii) the second a big analyst (umm, goldman sachs anyone?) with any kind of clue starts to put numbers around the stationary storage opportunity given the way elon was talking about it on the call, we are going to the moon.

soo, which one is it going to be??

surfside