Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Turn Signal stalk

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

I’m trying to find out if I’m being overly sensitive here but does anyone have an issue with the turn signal stalk use? When I use mine (up or down) it makes a click sound and feels like it goes thru a gap before it engages and sets into place. Hard to explain. All my other vehicles I’ve owned it’s a firm response back, you press it down and it clicks into place. And to be clear, this is before you get to the setting of the 3 blinks. As soon as I engage it I get this weird click and it feels like it slips.

Anyone else have this?

An aside, I put a request into service as the transmission stalk trim was coming loose and they said they had to replace the whole assembly so I thought, great...that’ll fix the turn signal. So they ordered it, I put the service request in and then the tech apparently glued or stuck back in place the trim and replaced nothing. He also ignored my request to look at the turn signal. A little annoyed with the service, gotta be honest. Now I have another appointment 3 weeks later! Anyhoo, rant over!

Like many other cars, if you push the stalk and release before you fully engage it (past the resistance), it just does a couple blinks and then stops. If you push it past the resistance, the blinker will stay on until the wheel is turned enough in that direction and then back to center, or you push the stalk in the opposite direction.

Unlike other cars, the stalk doesn’t physically stay in the engaged position until the wheel is turned in that direction and then back; it returns to its original position immediately no matter which option you selected

Similarly, the gear selector stalk will go into neutral if not pushed past the resistance, rather than into D/R

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
I noticed this too, on my test drive, I think that is just the way it works - it is different than any other car I've driven- I know the stalk is just an input to the computer, and I'd bet it needs some fine tuning to determine "is he just signaling a lane change, or making a turn?" Once they get the timing right, it will be enough similar to other cars, that the only noticeable difference will be that it doesn't actually "move" when you signal or when you complete a turn it doesn't "release" back to the center position.

Hi,

I’m trying to find out if I’m being overly sensitive here but does anyone have an issue with the turn signal stalk use? When I use mine (up or down) it makes a click sound and feels like it goes thru a gap before it engages and sets into place. Hard to explain. All my other vehicles I’ve owned it’s a firm response back, you press it down and it clicks into place. And to be clear, this is before you get to the setting of the 3 blinks. As soon as I engage it I get this weird click and it feels like it slips.

Anyone else have this?

An aside, I put a request into service as the transmission stalk trim was coming loose and they said they had to replace the whole assembly so I thought, great...that’ll fix the turn signal. So they ordered it, I put the service request in and then the tech apparently glued or stuck back in place the trim and replaced nothing. He also ignored my request to look at the turn signal. A little annoyed with the service, gotta be honest. Now I have another appointment 3 weeks later! Anyhoo, rant over!
Weird behavior. Haven't experienced that yet, and had my MY for about three weeks. Will look for that.

curious, do you usually fully activate the turn signal, or do you use the temporary activation when making Lange changes (not a full turn)

Depends. If I'm driving manually, I will fully activate for turns, and use the half stalk for lane changes when I verify I can go safely. If I'm using Autosteer, I will use the full stalk activation because that's the only way the car will initiate a lane change while in Autosteer. It will not auto lane change by a half stalk change.

Depends. If I'm driving manually, I will fully activate for turns, and use the half stalk for lane changes when I verify I can go safely. If I'm using Autosteer, I will use the full stalk activation because that's the only way the car will initiate a lane change while in Autosteer. It will not auto lane change by a half stalk change.

cool, thanks! I'll mention it again to the service center tomorrow, not sure what' they'll say

Our Model 3 started having the left turn behavior a month or two ago -- so I think it's related to an update. Most of the time I have to do a hard left turn on the stalk to make it blink and then have to do it again once I've changed lanes to make it stop. It doesn't do this when I want to make a right hand turn -- allows it to be pressed lightly and just blinks a few times. I had a weird issue about 4 months ago where none of the turn signals worked at ALL until I reset the car. I would say the turn signal stalk behavior is one of my largest annoyances with our Tesla. I wish it worked like other manufacturers -- a hard detent for when you want it to stay on and a slight press when you just want it to change lanes. I'd like for it to stay in place when doing the hard detent so it is easy to click it off.

I noticed this too, on my test drive, I think that is just the way it works - it is different than any other car I've driven- I know the stalk is just an input to the computer, and I'd bet it needs some fine tuning to determine "is he just signaling a lane change, or making a turn?" Once they get the timing right, it will be enough similar to other cars, that the only noticeable difference will be that it doesn't actually "move" when you signal or when you complete a turn it doesn't "release" back to the center position.

This bugged me too on a testdrive. The signal stalk manages to be both stiff and rubbery feeling at the same time. Coming from a Raven S, I really didn't like operating the turn signal stalk on the Y. I don't recall the 3 feeling this way despite 3/Y sharing 70% parts.

Hi,

Anyone else have this?

I too seem to have the same issue. Did you get it fixed?

Yes, they replaced the whole stalk assembly that surrounds the steering wheel. Of course, once the mobile tech made the swap, they installed incorrectly. So once the car has been in the sun, even the slightest movement of the steering wheel will cause it to creak very loudly. So….my advice, if you want it, would be let it go cause the fix can be worse then the disease.

Yes, they replaced the whole stalk assembly that surrounds the steering wheel. Of course, once the mobile tech made the swap, they installed incorrectly. So once the car has been in the sun, even the slightest movement of the steering wheel will cause it to creak very loudly. So….my advice, if you want it, would be let it go cause the fix can be worse then the disease.
Damn, yea my gut feeling has been telling me theyd mess something up if they replace it. Best case scenario they’ll probably leave a few scratches behind (hell, both of my stalks had long scratches when i took delivery of the car)

Reactions: Riguy