Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Turn swerving off?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Lately autopilot has started swerving when a truck is in the adjacent lane so that the car will be on the opposite side of the lane from the truck. Sounds useful, but in practice it causes the car to swerve back and forth within lane, especially when passing a row of trucks.

I can understand why somebody might want that but how do I turn it off? I want to stay in the center of the lane regardless of what’s in the lane next to me and I don’t want to appear drunk when I’m on autopilot.

Lately autopilot has started swerving when a truck is in the adjacent lane so that the car will be on the opposite side of the lane from the truck. Sounds useful, but in practice it causes the car to swerve back and forth within lane, especially when passing a row of trucks.

I can understand why somebody might want that but how do I turn it off? I want to stay in the center of the lane regardless of what’s in the lane next to me and I don’t want to appear drunk when I’m on autopilot.
I’ve noticed this change to autopilot as well. Sometimes it seems to hunt for the middle of the lane even when there are no cars or trucks in the adjacent lanes. It’s caused me to disable autopilot in cases where it was perfectly fine before. I doubt there’s a way you can change this… likely we’ll have to wait for another update to fix it.

Yes it’s been horrible for the past few releases. Weaves within the lane seemingly trying to find the center. Rear seat passengers have complained of feeling sick with this new weaving behavior. Has nothing to do with trucks as does it on empty highways.

Also seems to turn into bends on the highway very late - heads towards the outside of lane then turns into the bend very abruptly and dives back toward the middle of the lane.

Maybe certain elements of AP code has changed to accommodate future FSD plans they had do design for - whatever it is I hope it’s fixed soon.

Yeah, I just did a road trip from LA to SF and autopilot was terrible. Even in the Central Valley which is hundreds of miles of long, straight freeway it was weaving back and forth within the lane. Sometimes it would happen when passing a truck, other times it would happen with no nearby traffic at all.

Similar to others I got complaints that my passengers felt car sick, so I had to disable AP for long portions of the trip. Really disappointed with AP in this update.

The behavior you describe, where the car moves away from an adjacent truck while staying in its lane, is a relatively recent feature and I believe is in response to years of complaints from owners about their cars seeming to move closer to adjacent vehicles, a phenomenon often labeled “truck lust” (search TMC and you’ll find many threads).

There is no setting to turn that behavior off.

What is your firmware version?

The behavior you describe, where the car moves away from an adjacent truck while staying in its lane, is a relatively recent feature and I believe is in response to years of complaints from owners about their cars seeming to move closer to adjacent vehicles, a phenomenon often labeled “truck lust” (search TMC and you’ll find many threads).

There is no setting to turn that behavior off.

What is your firmware version?
Nothing to do with trucks - as others have posted on this thread it happens even on empty highways.

I'm on 2019.40.50.7

On our 3 week vacation Dec 13 to Jan 03 , started out with 40.1.1 and noticed the ping pong being a big issue. Now on 40.50 car had less and less ping pong. Also noticed that there was less movement away from trucks though.

software.JPG