Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Two day old model 3 sentry mode battery loss

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey everyone. Got my car on Tuesday. Set up sentry mode yesterday using Samsung fit 128gb usb. It came formatted with exfat. I added TeslaCam folder and it seems to be working. In 9 hours of sentry mode I lost 5%. Is that normal? Could it be because it’s a new car?

thanks

Yup. What software version are you on? And don’t forget to turn off Sentry when home, there’s an Exclude Home option. You can also turn off StandBy mode if you’ve got FSD, that’ll help too

im on v10.2 (2020.20.12). i live in a city so i park on the street. was hoping to use sentry mode for a little extra street protection.

Hey everyone. Got my car on Tuesday. Set up sentry mode yesterday using Samsung fit 128gb usb. It came formatted with exfat. I added TeslaCam folder and it seems to be working. In 9 hours of sentry mode I lost 5%. Is that normal? Could it be because it’s a new car?

thanks
Seems normal. I can easily lose 1.3miles/hr using Sentry mode. In 9hrs that's 12 miles. For a SR+ that's 5%, ie normal.

Summon Standby is also on by default isn't it?

Try disabling the items mentioned and see if it helps.

1. Cabin Overheat Protection
2. Summon Standby

You will lose some to Sentry, but I have seen the same as other at about 1 mph (or 1.3 as above). You can figure out the % based on your battery size over a period of time. It has to power the computer and cameras some how. There is always a tradeoff.

• Helpful
Reactions: jjrandorin
Summon Standby is also on by default isn't it?

Try disabling the items mentioned and see if it helps.

1. Cabin Overheat Protection
2. Summon Standby

You will lose some to Sentry, but I have seen the same as other at about 1 mph (or 1.3 as above). You can figure out the % based on your battery size over a period of time. It has to power the computer and cameras some how. There is always a tradeoff.

thanks.

i just turned off cabin overheat protection. i dont have fsd so i dont think i have summon standby. i wish tesla had tutorial days just to go through everything with you. .

It depends on how many activation is gets.

I think you'd need a LOT of activation to make any measurable difference.... if sentry is activated the car remains awake, the 4 cameras record constantly. So most of the loss is gonna be just from the car staying awake and recording, which it does regardless of any sentry alerts.

The only difference an alert makes is it moves the last 10 minutes of recorded footage to the sentry folder, it flashes the LED lights and such for a second, and it displays the YOU ARE BEING RECORDED thing on the screen.

Looking to move into a Tesla M3 and Sentry Mode is one of the main reasons why since I travel to and park in San Francisco so often. It’s nice to hear that Sentry Mode doesn’t use much battery — such a nice feature that pretty much every car should have.

Looking to move into a Tesla M3 and Sentry Mode is one of the main reasons why since I travel to and park in San Francisco so often. It’s nice to hear that Sentry Mode doesn’t use much battery — such a nice feature that pretty much every car should have.

Sentry mode will use between 1-2 miles an hour, give or take (because the car wont go to sleep). Whether thats a lot or not depends on whether you are planning to use it while you are parked at work (8 hours) and parked at home (12 hours? More?)

Basically, if you use sentry mode all the time, it will be 18-24 miles a day. Many of the people who want to use sentry mode at home are doing so because they are parked outside (so probably not charging).

18-24 miles a day "lost" while not moving, is actually quite a bit especially if you dont have easy charging at home. If you do, then using it during the day is a non issue for most people. If you DONT have home charging, then couple the 20+ miles a day lost using it at work and home with the fact that you actually charge from 80-90% to 20-30%, someone without home or work charging will be charging a lot more than they thought they were going to, when they were buying the car.

TL ; DR. If you have home charging its basically a non issue, just extra energy. If you DONT, then make sure you understand how many trips to charge you will actually be making vs what you THINK you might be making with (for example) a "240 mile range on the car and a 20 mile round trip commute" (which will not use 20 miles range).

It depends on how many activation is gets.
yea, now that you mention it, this seems to be the case for my car. I can park at my son's house where there is practically no regular action around the car and lose typically 8 miles over a 12 hour period at night, but then at a hotel near the entrance where there is a lot of activity and snooping from curious people, I can lose 20% more during that same 10 hour period. So not substantial, yet noticeable.

TL ; DR. If you have home charging its basically a non issue, just extra energy. If you DONT, then make sure you understand how many trips to charge you will actually be making vs what you THINK you might be making with (for example) a "240 mile range on the car and a 20 mile round trip commute" (which will not use 20 miles range).

Yup, makes sense. Luckily I have home charging in a garage, so I’m good there. But for those work-related trips into The City, it’s nice to here that Sentry Mode while parking for eight hours or so on a street or strange parking structure won’t leave me drained when I return!