Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TxTag/EZpass

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi jlucero

I encourage you to look at the Texas forum where there is extensive discussion about Texas Toll Tags.

I have had #1 done but it did not work and I went and returned the license plate bar also called as "transponder"

Chris is the one who has done vinyl patches and he should be able to comment on #2.

Currently I place my sticker on the inside close to the rear mirror base. It works 50-60% of the time.

But regardless toll reads the license plate 100%.

I hope this helps

Isn't the scuttlebutt that recent builds have a spot near the mirror that is free of the ceramic tint that blocks the RFID waves and is usable for tolltags? It's the black no-dots section of the windshield, I believe.

Isn't the scuttlebutt that recent builds have a spot near the mirror that is free of the ceramic tint that blocks the RFID waves and is usable for tolltags? It's the black no-dots section of the windshield, I believe.

No. I've looked at maybe 15 different cars at the Dallas Service Center and none of them have a section like that without the coating. You have to look closely, but the cutoff is visible. Look around the VIN plate and you'll see it.

Additionally, I'm going to make another run of the black vinyl patches for the external windshield tag mounts if anyone is interested. I have a non-Autopilot car and it's been sitting to the left of my rain sensor for well over a year with no issues. You can only see it if you are looking for it. If you're interested, just PM me your address. You will need to make sure you have one of the sticker-thin toll tags.

I've tried putting my TXTag sticker on the outside top center of my windshield and using a few strips of black electrical tape to hold and cover it completely, but it doesn't seem to be getting picked up by the toll roads. I seem to only be getting billed when my license plate is optically recognized on camera right now. I wouldn't think the electrical tape would be much different from Chris TX's black vinyl patches, but maybe it is. Or maybe my TXTag is just defective and I need to request a replacement...

Like others, my license plate is getting read by the cameras and I'm being charged appropriate Tolltag tolls.

So at this point, there are only two benefits to trying to manually affix my tolltag, correct me in I'm wrong:
1) Gate operation at DFW airport
2) Reciprocity with other Texas tag agencies (Tyler, Austin, Houston, etc.) for using the tag, vs the higher pay by mail option?

Am I right?

I've tried putting my TXTag sticker on the outside top center of my windshield and using a few strips of black electrical tape to hold and cover it completely, but it doesn't seem to be getting picked up by the toll roads. I seem to only be getting billed when my license plate is optically recognized on camera right now. I wouldn't think the electrical tape would be much different from Chris TX's black vinyl patches, but maybe it is. Or maybe my TXTag is just defective and I need to request a replacement...

The sticker tag should be considered a one-time-use as the pins from the chip can pull away from the antennas very easily when you remove it.

Like others, my license plate is getting read by the cameras and I'm being charged appropriate Tolltag tolls.

So at this point, there are only two benefits to trying to manually affix my tolltag, correct me in I'm wrong:
1) Gate operation at DFW airport
2) Reciprocity with other Texas tag agencies (Tyler, Austin, Houston, etc.) for using the tag, vs the higher pay by mail option?
Definitely true for DFW -- though that's less important now that the Toll Tag discount is gone.

Apparently, the latest builds have an area designed for this again: #264

well I have the new windshield and temporarily attached the tag with scotch tape. Will update if it gets picked up or not.

IMG_1976.jpg

IMG_1977.jpg

well I have the new windshield and temporarily attached the tag with scotch tape. Will update if it gets picked up or not.

It looks like quite a bit of tag is still going to be blocked by the metallic film. Additionally, the black paint they use also blocks the signal (unless it's a new kind of paint). I've tried jamming it in the base of the windshield, below the film but behind the black paint and it wasn't read by the hand scanner at the NTTA office. I worked with the NTTA office for several hours one day with about 10 different locations and all three kinds of toll tags. The only one that works consistent for my car is exterior on the windshield.

I'm making a run of the vinyl patches this week if anyone is interested. The Service Center is out of them and they don't want to apply them anymore. They've been sending customers to tint shops to pay $xx for them, when it only takes a dollar or two's worth of vinyl and effort.

I think the black area is suppose to allow the signal to go thru...also the center part of the tag is where the sensor is no?

I just logged onto the NTTA website, how can I tell if it read my license plate or the tag?

I think the black area is suppose to allow the signal to go thru...also the center part of the tag is where the sensor is no?

I just logged onto the NTTA website, how can I tell if it read my license plate or the tag?

Bollar answered that a couple pages back; there is a delay of a few days between the use of the tag and the posting date.

I use the TxTag based in Austin, which also works elsewhere in Texas. For TxTag, I have discovered that if it reads the TAG, the statement has the TAG number. If it reads your plate, it shows the PLATE number. My plate is REDDY, so see below.

TxTag.PNG

New 85D owner in DFW. Picked it up on Tuesday! I placed the NTTA sticker in black area like 7racer for a trial run. The RF transmitter is actually located in the center of the sticker and falls about 1 inch inside the black area.

The NTTA RF sticker has worked for me going through DFW Airport and along Chisholm Parkway in Fort Worth. About 10 reads now without missing a beat.

New 85D owner in DFW. Picked it up on Tuesday! I placed the NTTA sticker in black area like 7racer for a trial run. The RF transmitter is actually located in the center of the sticker and falls about 1 inch inside the black area.

The NTTA RF sticker has worked for me going through DFW Airport and along Chisholm Parkway in Fort Worth. About 10 reads now without missing a beat.

sweet!!!

I live in Houston and have a Harris Co EZ Tag (windshield). Never had a problem until I drove on the Grand Parkway (TX Tag). Suddenly I got a bill directly from TX Tag for several violations. I made three calls to TX Tag and got three different answers what could be wrong. Turns out all three guesses were wrong. But I had to go to the EZ Tag folks to get it straightened out. (TX Tag passes those tolls straight to EZ Tag that way all tolls are on one invoice.) EZ Tag's guess was wrong too. Just by chance, I stopped at the new Tesla Service Center on I-45. Got to talking and I learned you have to use a transponder bar for TX Tag sensors. Their sensors can't read through the windshield coating. In fact, all the Tesla demo cars have transponder bars behind the nosecone. I have one now too.

What a frustrating mess all this has been dealing with TX Tag and EZ Tag. Seems like the Tesla in Houston should tell all new car owners this little bit of info. It cost me $60 in violations, four calls to TX Tag and two trips to EZ Tag.