Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TxTag/EZpass

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For what it's worth, nothing works on my car, including Chris' awesome solution. Mine correctly scans less than 5% of the time - currently the transponder bar. NTTA manually adds all of my toll scans and they show up a couple of weeks after I travel.

Since you don't have the autopilot camera, are you putting your tag to the left of the rain sensor? That's where I have mine, and it works great, even at DFW airport and parking garages. If I can get my car back from the body shop this week, I might be able to make Cars and Coffee this weekend. You can see how I mount mine. I'll cut out some more for anyone that wants, too.

Since you don't have the autopilot camera, are you putting your tag to the left of the rain sensor? That's where I have mine, and it works great, even at DFW airport and parking garages. If I can get my car back from the body shop this week, I might be able to make Cars and Coffee this weekend. You can see how I mount mine. I'll cut out some more for anyone that wants, too.
Yup. I have placed it on every recommended location, including left of the rain sensor, right on top of where it's designed to work if placed on the inside, bottom left & right of the windshield, high & low on rear window, and I've gone through five sticker tags and two of the bars. I have to assume my car is emitting some sort of interference that's preventing the tag from working.

I really wouldn't care, aside from not getting the TT discount @ DFW. NTTA has been good about manually applying my tolls.

For what it's worth, nothing works on my car, including Chris' awesome solution. Mine correctly scans less than 5% of the time - currently the transponder bar. NTTA manually adds all of my toll scans and they show up a couple of weeks after I travel.
11bf638273e81f9a5b2377f9f0d3f9a4.jpg

I don't think the lag time is an accurate indicator of a no-scan at least in my case. I have a significant number of toll tags on my NTTA account and all but the Tesla are ICE vehicles - several of thin and one old thick transponder on easy-to-scan windshields (they all work at DFW no problem). The lag between transaction date and post date varies between 2 and 10 days all the time on all the tags. The majority of the time there are 4-5 days between the dates.

I've stuffed my tag, turned 90 degrees, into the right rain sensor area and have let it be for now, with no noted difference in post lag to the other tags.

I have not tested it at DFW airport yet - I think DFW is the litmus test unless there is another location that is available with instant feedback.

Yup. I have placed it on every recommended location, including left of the rain sensor, right on top of where it's designed to work if placed on the inside, bottom left & right of the windshield, high & low on rear window, and I've gone through five sticker tags and two of the bars. I have to assume my car is emitting some sort of interference that's preventing the tag from working.

I really wouldn't care, aside from not getting the TT discount @ DFW. NTTA has been good about manually applying my tolls.

You might have a bad tag. I've dissected one and it's rather fragile. If it's bent, one of the pins on the chip can come loose. I'd recommend asking for another one.

My transactions have not appeared on my account and it has been 2 weeks already since I got the transponder.

I am going to call NTTA tomorrow and request the toll tag (patch) and send this transponder or drop it off at their customer service center.

My transactions have not appeared on my account and it has been 2 weeks already since I got the transponder.

I am going to call NTTA tomorrow and request the toll tag (patch) and send this transponder or drop it off at their customer service center.

The thin tag on the outside of the car is the ONLY one I could get to read, consistently. Nothing under the nosecone was read. The big black one in the grille wasn't read. I even tried a spot behind the windshield down low where the metallic coating stops, and it didn't work. It really needs to be up high and at windshield angle. If you have a black or pano roof, you could put it on the roof just above the glass. For the autopilot cars, Chet and Frank have been trying to put it down near the inspection stickers, but not blocking the VIN# window. I don't like that because it's low and super easy to just stand there and peel it off. Most people won't know what it is, though.

I wonder how it looks from a distance

Getting rid of the safety inspection sticker was good and I don't want to mess around the same area but if it works 100% like what you describe...worth the shot

Thanks for taking time to post this...if you can post standing from a distance ...we can see how it looks.

BTW did you get the vinyl pouch from Chris TX?

How do you guys get the long bar that goes across your license plate? Is that what is referred to as the "EZ Plate?" According to the HTCRA website, it appears as though the "EZ Plate" is some kind of temporary usage of the EZ TAG and only lasts for 45 days. I must be missing something. Thanks

How do you guys get the long bar that goes across your license plate? Is that what is referred to as the "EZ Plate?" According to the HTCRA website, it appears as though the "EZ Plate" is some kind of temporary usage of the EZ TAG and only lasts for 45 days. I must be missing something. Thanks
At the Westpark service center when I told them my car was a Tesla they automatically gave me one of those license plate units. There are no short term usage restrictions. Personally I do not use a front license plate so I simply hold mine at the top of my windshield where the black film is each time I go through a tolling location.

At the Westpark service center when I told them my car was a Tesla they automatically gave me one of those license plate units. There are no short term usage restrictions. Personally I do not use a front license plate so I simply hold mine at the top of my windshield where the black film is each time I go through a tolling location.

I think its called Transponder or something like that....I went from sticker to transponder and now back to sticker...I think sticker works best and I am planning to get vinyl pouch that Chris made and believe it works fine.

You have so much patience to hold the transponder every single time you go through a toll...I don't have that much patience and I returned back the transponder to NTTA service center 2 weeks back:wink:

I think its called Transponder or something like that....I went from sticker to transponder and now back to sticker...I think sticker works best and I am planning to get vinyl pouch that Chris made and believe it works fine.

You have so much patience to hold the transponder every single time you go through a toll...I don't have that much patience and I returned back the transponder to NTTA service center 2 weeks back:wink:
You can install the transponder behind the nose cone.

I believe there are a number of responses that say black transponder behind nose cone does not work any better. Particuarly how they scan it at DFW airport.

You can't really tell in DFW by looking at our NTTA logs online as to what was a good scan and what was a license plate read because there seems to be a significant delay between transaction and posting no matter what.

Chris' pouch seems the best way to go for now here if you need to get good reads always.

You sure can.
I handed the Transponder to Callie at Tesla Service to install behind the nose cone when the car arrived. They did so. I went straight, Do Not Pass Go, to the Westpark EZ-Tag Store and drove thru their Tag Tester lane.
It didn't read, so I went back to Tesla Service with my plates and had them bring it out of the cone and mount it on the front of the plate. Funny thing is, even that location gives a no-read at some booths (I got a nasty-gram with pictures of Pearlie May "violating" the EZ-Tag lanes because I hadn't given HCTRA my tag numbers yet).

Sticker in pouch may ultimately be the best, since it's at a higher elevation than the transponder-in-cone or transponder-on-plate. But as long as your plates are in their system, you're covered by "Plan B (camera)."