Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tyre Blow Out on 7 mth old Model 3 …. Not happy

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Doesn't take much to blow out those low profile 20" tires.
Yes, you are so right!
And that’s why I needed to share my experience of what happened. Those Karen’s on this thread that were instantly negative need to remember we must share, whether it’s good or bad
Even I have learnt through this thread and that I am grateful for 🤷‍♀️

Yes, you are so right!
And that’s why I needed to share my experience of what happened. Those Karen’s on this thread that were instantly negative need to remember we must share, whether it’s good or bad
Even I have learnt through this thread and that I am grateful for 🤷‍♀️
The irony is strong in this one.

You didn’t start this thread just to make people aware of your incident, though. You’ve alleged this is somehow Tesla’s fault, have accused them of scrimping and fitting allegedly cheaper tyres and complained that the car didn’t predict the future and give you a warning about an upcoming blowout. The fact you refer to people who have criticised your posts as Karens is some serious irony.

My Tesla model 3, age 7 months, had a front passenger-side tyre blow out on M25 last night. We were travelling in the fast lane, it was very busy and very rainy, dark November night. We were travelling at approx 65-70 mph when it happened… it’s fair to say we are lucky to be alive
The car gave no indication that there was a problem until it blew

View attachment 870941 View attachment 870942
There is no "fast lane" - there are the travelling lane and overtaking lanes

The irony is strong in this one.

You didn’t start this thread just to make people aware of your incident, though. You’ve alleged this is somehow Tesla’s fault, have accused them of scrimping and fitting allegedly cheaper tyres and complained that the car didn’t predict the future and give you a warning about an upcoming blowout. The fact you refer to people who have criticised your posts as Karens is some serious irony.
Thank you Cardo, you read what you read and you analysis it how best suits you

I have learnt a lot from this thread and my experience. I will share this recently received message from a Tesla owner

“Pirellis are spec’d undersized for the M3P by Tesla for appearance so they’re stretched to fit the Tesla wider rim ?
It was in a RSymons utube video”

Interesting 🤔

• Disagree
Reactions: glide
I stand corrected it’s my age…. in the old days we called it the fast lane…. You know what I meant, an open mind is needed here, don’t you think? Rather than condescending/patronising attitude, it’s not necessary.
You seem a bit over-sensitive to me. The guy simply stated a fact. As for the original post - blow-outs happen. You alluded to it being somehow Tesla's fault or that the car should have magically told you that a blow-out was about to happen, neither of which are sensible conclusions.

You seem a bit over-sensitive to me. The guy simply stated a fact. As for the original post - blow-outs happen. You alluded to it being somehow Tesla's fault or that the car should have magically told you that a blow-out was about to happen, neither of which are sensible conclusions.
Yes I get that
Am I over sensitive ….? It could be that I find it unnecessary?

We all have a common interest on this site, which is, we own a Tesla or we love them. There is no need for anyone to hide behind a keyboard and be horrible, in todays world have we learnt nothing about just being nice to each other

• Disagree
Reactions: outdoors and glide
Doesn't take much to blow out those low profile 20" tires.
Exactly what I was gonna say. What likely happened is the tire/rim was damaged before he got on the highway. Check his other tires/rims closely. You’ll see a lot of folks dumping those wheels. Inefficient too.

I’ve read so many horror stories on that setup. One owner brought his car in to fix one wheel and found all 4 were damaged and needed to be replaced and he didn’t know it.

The rims are on the soft side to boot.

OP picked the configuration. It’s well known they are problematic. Not really Teslas fault. Because in some applications they are fine.

Reactions: Laurdan
The car did not alert us there was a problem and Tesla have confirmed that the blow out was instant and that the car did not alert us before the blow out 🤷‍♀️
How the fcuck car had to alert you?! With notification:

"According my crystal ball tyre will blow out when it will reach precisely 70 mph. Sincerely yours, Tesla"??

Ar you really that special ir just trolling?

Last edited:
Reactions: mswlogo
Thank you Cardo, you read what you read and you analysis it how best suits you

I have learnt a lot from this thread and my experience. I will share this recently received message from a Tesla owner

“Pirellis are spec’d undersized for the M3P by Tesla for appearance so they’re stretched to fit the Tesla wider rim ?
It was in a RSymons utube video”

Interesting 🤔
If you really want to learn something from this experience, it's that ultra-low profile tyres are not the best for protection against this kind of failure (rare as they are) when driving on potholed UK roads. The stretched look is also quite trendy at the moment and probably not doing the tyre any favours. For these reasons and my automotive engineering background I keep well away from the bling wheel options (applies to all manufacturers, not just Tesla).

Practical solution now you've been bitten:-

1. Swap your wheels for standard Tesla 18" with correctly sized brand new premium tyres. Michelin would be my personal choice, but any premium tyre will be fine. Don't trust used tyres if you buy a used set of wheels/tyres as you don't know their history.
2. Check your tyre sidewalls regularly for damage (kerbs, potholes, debris etc can inflict sidewall cuts that can potentially lead to catastrophic failure)
3. Be very careful not to kerb your tyres when parking.

Follow the above advice and you are very unlikely to have any future issues. If you decide to stick with the ultra-low profile wheels/tyres you are still unlikely to experience another blowout, but damaged rims and flats are far more common with that combination. Whenever I look at other Teslas kerb damage is often quite obvious. People tend to think of rim damage in this case, but the tyre sidewalls can also be critically damaged. This would be in my top 3 guesses as to what led to your failure.

Yes I get that
Am I over sensitive ….? It could be that I find it unnecessary?

We all have a common interest on this site, which is, we own a Tesla or we love them. There is no need for anyone to hide behind a keyboard and be horrible, in todays world have we learnt nothing about just being nice to each other
But you agreed my post was factually accurate, and therefore a necessary correction.

That leaves us with you being easily triggered.

• Funny
Reactions: outdoors
Status
Not open for further replies.