Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Uber pickup for Model S delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here is something better. DON'T PAY ANYONE.

Establish a Tesla friends network (TFN) where someone buying a Tesla can "summon" a local Tesla owner to car-pool to the delivery. I am sure someone could pick up a "new owner" and drop at the Tesla store or service center. Friendships can be spawned. Networking opportunity also. I know it is hard to do but perhaps Tesla can get a start in the urban transport arena by adding an application component that a fresh buyer can install to put up a "request for delivery ride" out to the Tesla network. Do you trust a taxi driver or Uber driver over a fellow Tesla owner?

I bought a car in 2012 and the dealer offered a ride from one of their drivers from the airport to their local delivery point. 85 miles away.

I asked if it was possible to get a complimentary uber/cab and my DS basically told me that they will do it but prefer a cab over uber. Mostly because it is harder to reimburse as they would need to write a check and mail it to you which (going by what he says) takes about 30 days.

If you're buying a $100k car I think you can afford the Uber:rolleyes:

In all seriousness, I ran 10 miles to the train station, took a shower in town at the gym, and then took a two hour train trip to the SC to pick up my car. And found out when I got there they would have picked me up at my house:eek:

My DS arranged for Uber to take my home after I dropped off my trade at the SC and arranged for Uber to pick me up to take me back to SC two weeks later when I did delivery. I didn't ask, I sort of hinted, and she offered. I did bring her a box of baked goodies when I picked up my car though.

I got an Uber paid for by Tesla during my delivery. It was also my first Uber ride so I suppose I could have gotten a free ride paid for by Uber. The problem is the code provided by Tesla didn't work and they had to generate a new code and send it to me by e-mail. Threw in an extra $5 cash to the driver even though I read it's discouraged by Uber. Got there like an hour early from my appointed time but DS was still able to get me in right away.

If you ask nicely they are likely to do it. I took delivery 3 weeks ago and asked if they would do it, stating I had heard other owners had it done for them. They said no problem and took care of it. Took delivery in Costa Mesa and I live about 20 miles from there.