Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ugh. Another Model S fire - 2013-11-06

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is a short term setback in the perception of the public. A year from now no one will be reporting on the 1 in 10,000 Model S fires that happen each year from driving over metallic debris. Sure people will talk about it, but its still the safest and best car out there. Safest in that no one has died and perhaps that will be the bigger story one day, the fact that there are no fatalities with the Model S despite some horrific accidents (ie. Mexico). If people were dying from these fires then we'd have something to worry about, but everyone has been safe and insurance pays for a new Model S. Perhaps insurance premiums for the Model S will creep up a small amount but that is the only long term drawback I see here.

as an owner and long term investor I am not worried.

Yeah, hopefully. As an investor, I'm not worried for the long-term either. It's just that much more pressure being put on us against people who don't understand.

so if the report is correct a tow hitch.

that notwithstanding, having watched the FOX news piece, I don't think it was beyond reason to have wondered if this was a setup... not 3 cars catching fire, but the third one. Seems extremely unlikely if a tow hitch, but I don't think earlier poster was being unreasonable to wonder.

Here's the video I'm referring to... if something like this gets aired, what else is possible!

Tesla Cars Catching Fire, No Recalls: Car Expert Lauren Fix - YouTube

(edit... corrected phrasing I meant to read "extremely unlikely")

if you can run over any ol' junk metal in the road and catch fire, the public won't accept this car.

I don't know if I agree with that. I've read all about the fires and I'm still buying one. The car is so awesome and the causes of the fires are so extreme, that it hasn't swayed me from buying one myself.

I mean, accidents like these are the reasons why we have insurance to begin with. So we don't have to worry about what happened to a small few or what "could" happen to us.

Now if the cars were spontaneously busting into flames for no apparent reason... we'll, then I would be concerned and would most defiantly cancel my order.

These conspiracy theories are ludicrous IMHO. With all of the traffic cams, dash cams, etc. people aren't likely to be throwing things on the highway which can cause grievous bodily harm and property damage with the intention of bringing down Tesla Motors.

Last weekend I did a 600 mile+ supercharged trip and I along with about 200 other cars ran over some 2x12 lumber strewn across the fast lane of I-95. There was nothing I could do to avoid it. No flat, no fire, etc. Things fall off vehicles; cups, fast food, cigarettes, etc are thrown from vehicles randomly. How many of those 5 gallon buckets do you see by the side of the road?

I wonder what the size of these objects [fires 1 & 3] is and if not running at the low suspension would have avoided the objects? What is the mileage penalty for each of the suspension levels?

At around 8.58 AM in this thread:

8.58 AM.jpg

Some kind of record?

& at around 9.05 AM on the main page:

9.05 AM.png

Edit: Not sure if I got the time right though... :redface:

Last edited:
Cowcatcher. That is the answer, my friends. /sarcasm.

With air suspension, the car lowers itself at highway speeds to lower drag.
With the current air pump system, the car can't react fast enough to any detected road debris to raise itself up.
With a debris sensor, a valve block, and pressurized tank it could work.

& at around 9.05 AM on the main page: [ATTACH=full said:
34952[/ATTACH]

Some kind of record?

Stock is dropping like a lead weight, if you hadn't noticed.

Just wait until somebody dies in one of these things. The way people in this country drive it's bound to happen sooner or later. Even the safest car ever made can't protect Americans from their own atrocious road habits.

Ed, I respect that you have your opinion on this, but did you watch the FOX piece,

Their expert said that after the first fire if this was any other manufacturer they would have been "call them on the carpet", "drawn and quarter them in front of the press", and "have congressional hearings>"

My point was that if people are willing to air such a piece, the idea that someone could attempt a set up to me is within the realm of the possible.

Now, I didn't say set up a trailer hitch accident, I said that new information made it extremely unlikely.

Ed, I respect that you have your opinion on this, but did you watch the FOX piece,

Their expert said that after the first fire if this was any other manufacturer they would have been "call them on the carpet", "drawn and quarter them in front of the press", and "have congressional hearings>"

My point was that if people are willing to air such a piece, the idea that someone could attempt a set up to me is within the realm of the possible.

Now, I didn't say set up a trailer hitch accident, I said that new information made it extremely unlikely.

So are you saying that anyone who has an opinion with which you don't agree is more likely to be a criminal???

Morgan Stanley sent out an alert commenting on the fire. Pretty standard and fair observations, but one of the points stood out (not sure if this has been mentioned here):

4. Driver behavior very likely an important contributing factor here. Perhaps more than any other car in history that precedes it, the Model S has brought an ultra-high performance driving experience to a much broader customer base. Ferrari drivers are typically repeat customers or at least accustomed to the ultra-high performance attributes (and risks) of their vehicle. The Model S has tapped into a far more mainstream market. Are these relatively ‘affordable Ferraris’ driven by consumers who's prior car was a Toyota Prius, a minivan or a balsa-wood bicycle?