Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ugh. Another Model S fire - 2013-11-06

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
----I think the one thing we all can agree on is that Tesla now has a PR problem on their hands.

(Heck, after the first fire, they had a PR problem....

So how about instead of nitpicking what has happened, and making only semi-informed comments and speculations, we be proactive and positive as a community? Let's focus on what we can actually do to help improve Tesla PR. I propose:

1. We make a separate thread, or better yet, a separate website*, to showcase all of the Model S crashes that have happened but have not caused fires. Pictures of the crashes, and details of what happened, and how the occupants of the vehicles were not permanently harmed. We can start with swon's list (below.)

2. We make our mantra: "No deaths, no permanent injuries." Or maybe, "All three drivers walked away." After all, catching fire is one thing, walking away is another. And then we repeat that over and over again until the media can't help but repeat it as well.

* for the website, how about just a free Tumblr site, with a creative name, like "teslacrasheswithoutfires.tumblr.com" -- something the media will pick up and report on in-and-of-itself.

Thanks Andrew for positive contribution to this insanity.

I have no idea how many reported or unreported fires there have been for the Leaf or Volt, but for now let's assume that number is zero.

"3 more" != "far more"

As far as I know, there have been zero car fires of this nature with the Leaf and Volt (someone correct me if I'm wrong.) There was one Leaf that burned to the ground in a forest fire, yet the battery still didn't ignite. So in the context of fires per mile driven, yes it is far more fires per mile driven in the model S, because there are far more miles driven in volts and leafs than in Model S's.

I would at least angle it like a cowcatcher. Otherwise, you're just dragging the "sample object" along the ground with great spectacle.

Actually, did you see that article about the town that wants Teslas as cop cars? The bully bar up front actually looks kinda snazzy...

ku-bigpic.jpg

I agree completely. The story I told up-thread about the pieces of wood did not include the fact that I couldn't have braked severely or changed lanes without causing a major pile-up (due to the speed of the cars behind/around me).

It's why self driving cars won't help much with this in my opinion as someone suggested up thread (can't tell if they were serious or not). Sometimes running over the object is the safest move rather than to try to swerve to avoid.

Agreed. Most of us owners here are already sold (literally and metaphorically), as evidenced by the poll about who would still buy today, but the average consumer is wary of new technology (and rightfully so). Even if* there's a logical explanation for these 3 accidents, *some* people are going to selectively hear/read/absorb what they subconsciously want and come to the conclusion that Teslas are unsafe. The appropriate response from Tesla now can help to minimize that effect. I have every expectation that they will respond appropriately, probably sometime early next week.

*Obviously, many of us (myself included) already believe there will be.

Btw, the author of the article linked above, Mark Rogowsky, has written several good pieces on Tesla. I highly recommend his work.

Hey, don't confuse anyone with facts! :) WRT PR...

I was sitting in my local SC waiting a part install on mine, and listened to 4 or 5 groups come through the door for a "test drive event". None of the groups to me looked or sounded like car enthusiasts, just sort of run-of-the-mill premium car buyers (what I would expect in a Lexus showroom).

I think 4 out of 5 walked over to the Tesla greeters/co-pilots (whatever they call them here) and within the first couple exchanges asked things like "...what's with the batteries catching fire?" or something similar. For the greeters it is probably getting very old. I think one was a bit more of a wise guy and said "lets not drive one of the exploding ones".

Tesla getting in front of a mostly mainstream non-problem (to my view me) that is widely in the continuing news cycle still seems pretty important. Either that or go light some Audi's on fire or something to wag the dog :) [duck, run]

As far as I know, there have been zero car fires of this nature with the Leaf and Volt (someone correct me if I'm wrong.) There was one Leaf that burned to the ground in a forest fire, yet the battery still didn't ignite. So in the context of fires per mile driven, yes it is far more fires per mile driven in the model S, because there are far more miles driven in volts and leafs than in Model S's.
I guess we just have to agree to disagree. 3 isn't "far more" in my book unless you put a unit next to it like "billion".

- - - Updated - - -

I think 4 out of 5 walked over to the Tesla greeters/co-pilots (whatever they call them here) and within the first couple exchanges asked things like "...what's with the batteries catching fire?" or something similar. For the greeters it is probably getting very old. I think one was a bit more of a wise guy and said "lets not drive one of the exploding ones".
"Can you send me a link to an exploding one? I've never seen that. I've seen shrapnel rip apart a pack and catch fire after the driver has been informed to pull to the side of the road and exit the vehicle without injury or drama. That exploding one sounds neat! Were there any injuries?"

Tesla needs to gather all of the data and will certainly issue a statement. While I understand the concerns being voiced by anyone, the reality is that the media frenzy (and stock market panic) is subsiding and there is no need to issue a statement until they have analyzed all of the information that they gather, decide whether there is anything more that a PR problem, and have made a decision on how to proceed.

The company is too smart to rush into a statement before they are ready to make one, and will certainly address the matter head on when they are ready to do so. Everyone take a deep breath and all will turn out okay.

While the people at the test drive events may be making sarcastic comments, they are still showing up. That is a good sign as those are the people that Tesla needs to be most concerned about....

To add some levity, I was amused to find the following ad at the top of TMC. I know it goes off recent searches, but still... :tongue:

If it goes off of recent searches, who is the one looking for Single Asian Women?

Back on topic. Like all of us, I have had numerous friends, relatives and colleagues ask me about the fires. Tesla should put out a statement when they have all the facts. They should also take a look at the undercarriage to determine if there is a way to reduce the likelihood of an object piercing the battery pack.

Tesla needs to gather all of the data and will certainly issue a statement. While I understand the concerns being voiced by anyone, the reality is that the media frenzy (and stock market panic) is subsiding and there is no need to issue a statement until they have analyzed all of the information that they gather, decide whether there is anything more that a PR problem, and have made a decision on how to proceed.

The company is too smart to rush into a statement before they are ready to make one, and will certainly address the matter head on when they are ready to do so. Everyone take a deep breath and all will turn out okay.

While the people at the test drive events may be making sarcastic comments, they are still showing up. That is a good sign as those are the people that Tesla needs to be most concerned about....

As I've noted before, thanks to the ubiquity of cameras on phones we have pictures of the cars, which means that rational people will see safe+written off+what's this doing to my insurance premium.

Personally I don't buy into the design flaw argument, I think these incidents have been the unlucky result of this car's performance ability combined with too much crap falling off other vehicles.

Tell me about it. I had a truck dump pallet tubes in front of me. The only thing that saved me was that I could raise the DS-21's suspension and drive over them. This isn't an option with the Model S as it doesn't raise up all that far.