Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ugh. Another Model S fire - 2013-11-06

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
From a PR standpoint, Elon Musk should say nothing. He already made a statement after the first road debris fire in Kent, WA. Now that the NHTSA is involved, let that play out and once the investigation is complete, Musk can issue a press release to better frame the NHTSA findings and add some context. Tesla will either be heralding the Model S as the safest car ever, or they will be doing a lot of damage control.

Model S'more... sorry I couldn't resist.

I disagree. The NHTSA stating there is no safety issue is not the same as saying a catastrophic event will never happen.
I agree, but I'm quite sure that if there is another fire after NHTSA signs off on it they will indeed investigate once again and probably force changes and/or a recall.

There's a good chance it would burn if it was punctured, because it also has a flammable liquid electrolyte, but it probably wouldn't be as intense as Lithium batteries that contain cobalt in the cathode.
I don't think it's the Cobalt as much as the Oxide, O2, which means the cell supplies it's own oxygen when burning.

This is in contrast to the LFP batteries in something like the Spark EV, that probably won't ignite or burn intensely.
Tesla is using a chemistry that has a flammable electrolyte and will release a lot more energy during combustion than some other chemistries, which is why they have a very sophisticated BMS that can isolate modules during a fire and can warn the driver to pull over a exit the vehicle.
All current lithium cells use a flammable electrolyte, including the A123 cells in the SparkEV. However those don't contain O2. On the other hand they are a higher C rate cell so if shorted they can put out much higher currents, which could lead to something else catching on fire. I don't think the BMS in the Tesla does anything to isolate a module during a fire, it's the physical pack construction which accomplishes that.

Tell me about it. I had a truck dump pallet tubes in front of me. The only thing that saved me was that I could raise the DS-21's suspension and drive over them. This isn't an option with the Model S as it doesn't raise up all that far.

This is the one thing I would recommend. Tesla should alow a "high suspension at speed" option.

I've driven with the suspension stuck in "very high" (due to a software bug) for 60 miles. It's perfectly safe, although it's (understandably) a rougher ride. The options screen should allow the "automatic suspension drop" to be turned off, enabling "high suspension" driving without software bugs. This would be a trivial software fix which would cost Tesla nothing, and would be beneficial with all manner of debris in the road, including the ice hunks which show up in winter.

I agree, but I'm quite sure that if there is another fire after NHTSA signs off on it they will indeed investigate once again and probably force changes and/or a recall.

Oh, there'll be a congressional hearing too, to boot; I'm sure some members of the House of Reps would be salivating at the prospect of raking another Obamamobile over the coals a la the Volt.

Just had a guy tell me "nice car" I politely said thank you! So then as he is walking off says "haven't been barbecue'd yet huh?"

Wow so I muttered f..er back but unfortunately I don't think he heard me.

Not sure this is the place to post this but wow this means war!

Just had a guy tell me "nice car" I politely said thank you! So then as he is walking off says "haven't been barbecue'd yet huh?"

Wow so I muttered f..er back but unfortunately I don't think he heard me.

Not sure this is the place to post this but wow this means war!

Just let that guy read the article concerning the fire description made by the Model S owner and you will win the war.

Excellent commentary. His comment that nothing inside the cabin burned says a lot about how the car was designed. Very impressive. But this got me thinking. Is it possible there is something in the front of the car that happens to be fairly flammable that is causing the issue? In other words, in a severe impact where the battery is damage and heat is generated, maybe there is something that is easly catching fire outside of the battery pack that causes the fire to spread. The solution maybe to let the damaged battery heat up but never catch anything external on fire. So maybe a more robust fire wall needs to be added or some component that is flammable be moved away from the battery.

Last edited: