Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ugh....I want to return my Y...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Oh boy...
my experience has been a bitter one.
Performance Long Range (PUP).
Car delivered late March, could not get over how different it was in terms of driving from my 2015 model S.
Noticed heavy welded brake pedal and smudged, weirdly polished paint on several spots.
Back seat panel not fitting right, popped out completely on left rear seat.
Mileage horrible, energy usage enormous.
Windshield cracked 2 weeks later on my way to work, first little pebble hitting windshield created a 2 foot long crack.
Scheduled replacement, waited a week to get the part in, another 5 for repair.
New windshield installed at the tune of $1300.
Brake pedal not repaired, told that it was "not unusual" and that Tesla won't replace it.
Mileage: apparently I can't drive a Tesla.
Back panel replaced, STILL doesn't fit. They returned it looking EXACTLY the same, then made me wait another 30 mins just to "tuck it in". After noticing that it looked the same I was told that they can't fix it and I need to get used to it. Apparently engineering is aware and when the fix is there, I can report issue again.
When picking up car from service I noticed several other major assembly issues around headlights, roof and inside on the microphone/emergency button panel on the roof that barely hold itself in.
I'm really disappointed and mad.
$62K plus for this...this is unacceptable.
I can't enjoy driving this car anymore.
I want to return it but don't know if it is even possible and if I could even exchange and pay up for a Model S. I know that car is built well.
Any suggestions? What are my options?

Much obliged....

It is sad.

I love my model 3, but the build quality is just not good. Not as bad as your MY, but lots of misfits and issues I can see.

Automotive build quality is a *solved issue*. Not easy mind you - lots of parts and complex assemby. But yes, **solved**
Japan first solved (specifically Toyota) in the 60s. American manufacturers caught up in the 80s. Why does Tesla struggle so much with this?

I want to return it but don't know if it is even possible and if I could even exchange and pay up for a Model S. I know that car is built well.

Any suggestions? What are my options?

If you picked up at the end of March, you're well past the 7 day return period. I'm guessing your options are:

1) Figure out a way to be happy with your Y.

2a) Trade it in. Would be interesting to see how much they give you for it.

2b) Find someone who really wants a Y (warts and all) and sell it. Given the factory is closed, there's a finite number of Ys out there. Maybe someone really, really wants one now and would take it off your hands.

Cevap Babo can you provide consumption numbers please (city or highway?) so we have a sense for what you feel is horrible?

Pics or it didn’t happen

Guess he could give you the rear seat panel or just google it. It really does not say too much is wrong if the brake works but a picture of microphone/emergency button panel on the roof would be good. What about the M3 post below it; also didn't happen? Did you see the hood install that Sandy got on his model; that did happen because there is video. Me I hope, for the cost, duct tape is not an option for Tesla's Y and that Tesla reacts to address peoples concerns and issues.

A SUV is different than a small sport sedan. Some may want top of the line power train and a solid car that the rear door closes on when purchasing a SUV for their next vehicle.

Sorry to hear about your issues, I think a lot of us are in similar situations with our cars in terms of build quality, it's going to take them several months at least to hopefully get things tweaked on the assembly line. You could chalk it up to just new model build woes but lots of other brands don't have these issues. I bought a early 2017 Honda CR-V, brand new model that year. While panel gaps were huge and there were some spots on the tailgate not perfect fit and finish, inside was perfect and paint was great too..

My take is, Tesla will fix the fit and finish issues like popping out seat backs, or like one side being higher then the other, but first Tesla has to solve why that's happening then send out new parts or fixes.. at least that's what the service center told me when I reported my issues and took it to them. Sure they shouldn't be there in the first place but we all got to inspect our cars over 7 days to see if they were issues we could live with, at least for now... I always said as long as their were huge paint issues everything else is easily fixable... So on my MY I really went over the paint thoroughly, found 5 small paint chips 4 on door edges where it looks like they each rubbed somehow.. nothing major imo so I decided the other issues I can get fixed later and accepted them as the cost of being one the few to actually own a MY.

With all that said I love the Model Y, is it the perfect car, no.. but I have never seen a perfect car let alone owned one. I love driving it, it's more efficient then any SUV I have owned and it puts a smile on my face when I push that go pedal! If your car doesn't bring you any joy, cut your losses now and get something that will.

Just a first couple of issues.
-rear seat panel, thats what it looks like after "repair"
-paint issue was resolved
-brake pedal clearly welded down the middle, normal according to Tesla Service

...more to come.

P.S. abnormal energy usage is 360-390 Wh/mi on average vs the rated 285, I believe
This is all on flat roads (US101) of Bay Area in CA in 60-80F Spring weather.

Attachments

• 20200428_151101.jpg
    20200428_151101.jpg
    299.5 KB · Views: 706
  • 20200421_190704.jpg
    20200421_190704.jpg
    382.7 KB · Views: 672
  • 20200416_082048.jpg
    20200416_082048.jpg
    221.7 KB · Views: 620

...more to come.

P.S. abnormal energy usage is 360-390 Wh/mi on average vs the rated 285, I believe
Thanks for posting the pictures! It’s helpful to see what issues people are having. Good luck with getting better repairs by T.

-carbon fiber spoiler on the back coming off. I have not washed the car myself since delivery, only washed by Tesla Service.
-I cannot upload a video of the emergency light/microphone panel being loose but from the image, I hope you can see that the left side does not cling to the roof as tightly as the right. I can push left side in about 1/4 inch before it sits in properly.

Attachments

• 20200430_083505.jpg
    20200430_083505.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 594
  • 20200430_083548.jpg
    20200430_083548.jpg
    249.2 KB · Views: 642

...more to come.

That brake pedal is terrible looking! How can they say that is normal?

• Disagree
Reactions: TMThree and jay35
That brake pedal is terrible looking! How can they say that is normal?

Because every other Model Y is like that, that's what you get with stamped steel that is welded together. It is very strange one pedal is like that and the other not... Was done either for cost savings or maybe a last minute change and this was the quickest fix.. will see if next year's model Ys are like this or not I guess.

My rear middle seat pannel on the back was falling off a bit too, could push it back in though, but what's worse is a rattle that middle seat is causing... Even worse then that, I told the service center to check on it, they said they couldn't reproduce it, but didn't drive my car anywhere (do they not know we can tell if they drive it?).. so I might pop the pannel off sometime and see if I can find what's causing it, it happens 100% of the time for me.

The lights/hazard mount seems ok to me.. no major gaps or worry about it falling out, I have seen a much worse one.

I mean none of these are deal breakers it seems, just a big of pain dealing with service centers and Tesla at reduced staff trying to get things fixed.. I'd say document and send all your issues, then wait a couple months and take it to be fixed.

Any suggestions?

I suggest that you never again buy any vehicle without test-driving it, or immediately after it hits the market.

Build quality issues occur with all makes at the beginning of any model's production run.

Nothing you have brought up seems "unlivable" to me, but it's your car, so it's your call as to how to proceed.

If it were me, I'd expect that Tesla will address the issues that can actually be fixed, and I wouldn't worry that much about them.

YMMV

...more to come.

Ouch, thats bad. You cannot unsee that panel gap whenever you stare at it again. And the CF spoiler coming off is just poor QC

I would make a few attempts with them to address all of these issues. If none of that works, you probably want to try arbitration.

Reactions: CarbonFree
Thanks for posting the pictures! It’s helpful to see what issues people are having. Good luck with getting better repairs by T.

Wow, and I thought I was picky.

We've purchased nine so far, so we have some history with the brand.

After seeing your pics, my first response is, "Are you kidding me?"

My second response is, "You need to buy another brand of EV as it appears you are unlikely to be satisfied by the 'low-cost' Teslas. Ever."