Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ugh....I want to return my Y...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does build quality have to be expensive? You can buy a cheap Toyota or Honda that have no assembly issues. Tesla needs to get some Japanese manufacturing expertise brought in.

True..The assembly issues are being fixed post production though, so that doesn't seem like it should be a major concern. It's more of an inconvenience you have to deal with when buying from a company like Tesla vs a production juggernaut like Toyota.

If you want your brake pedal to look perfect, have it removed and then take it over to a metal fabricator to have them grind down the weld until its smooth and then repaint it.

Sounds ridiculous? Well, lots of people are doing all sorts of other mods to improve their Teslas, and this could be considered just another trick mod to make it better than everyone else's Model Y.

Does build quality have to be expensive? You can buy a cheap Toyota or Honda that have no assembly issues. Tesla needs to get some Japanese manufacturing expertise brought in.

No it doesn't have to be expensive. You just have to care.

It's definitely a cultural problem at Tesla. Employees generally do what they are told is important, and don't do what they are led to believe is not important. Don't think for a minute that the assembly line workers making these mistakes don't know they are making them, nor that the whoever they have for QC doesn't see them either, nor that the people at the delivery centers don't see them either. They all do, and they just don't care because Tesla as a company doesn't care. That comes from the top down.

Tesla won't care about quality control until it stops Elon from getting $750M bonuses.

Last edited:

Or, you can buy an expensive German car and get exquisite carbon-fiber details, open-pore wood, quilted leather and fine wool carpets, combined with a sonorous 6-or 8-cylinder engine, paired with a $100 PCV valve that fails prematurely (but outside of warranty) and costs $1500 to fix.

Or a transmission that shifts imperceptibly, until it fails catastrophically to the tune of a $10,000. Or turbos that fail, again, just outside of warranty but cost $8K to fix.

BTDT/BTST on all of those types of things in 20+ years of German cars....

I'll take my chances with minor build-quality issues such as loose carpeting ANY day.

And 360-390 wh/mi is a significant. You should check total range on a full charge.
Is it though? It’s a perf car. Did the op come from a perf S? My perf s is around the same. We all usually gave quite the lead foot just after getting the car. If you set the car to cruise control and drive that will take the lead foot issue out. My car is AP is around 300 vs my much much higher numbers.

also op the epa ratings are crap. The test the cars at 55mph on a closed flat course.

I have a same car and I’m getting 250-300 with regular driving. I always drive on sport but I’m conservative so I’ll say this is an isolated issue.

As for build quality, I think you got lucky with a perfect S, as Tesla sucks lacks QC on all their cars esp the X but I guess more so the 3 and Y.

Might as well name of my issues. All have been resolved so it’s safe to say my Y is finally perfect to my standards.

mine were
-steering wheel not aligned
- fender not aligned
- coat hanger won’t close
- window seal misaligned
- tail light condensation

My paint is perfect

My wife noticed none of these but I’m a dude and after learning of Tesla’s quality control I took a good look.

man I satisfied even with these issues? YES. But that’s just me

Oh boy...
my experience has been a bitter one.
Performance Long Range (PUP).
Car delivered late March, could not get over how different it was in terms of driving from my 2015 model S.
Noticed heavy welded brake pedal and smudged, weirdly polished paint on several spots.
Back seat panel not fitting right, popped out completely on left rear seat.
Mileage horrible, energy usage enormous.
Windshield cracked 2 weeks later on my way to work, first little pebble hitting windshield created a 2 foot long crack.
Scheduled replacement, waited a week to get the part in, another 5 for repair.
New windshield installed at the tune of $1300.
Brake pedal not repaired, told that it was "not unusual" and that Tesla won't replace it.
Mileage: apparently I can't drive a Tesla.
Back panel replaced, STILL doesn't fit. They returned it looking EXACTLY the same, then made me wait another 30 mins just to "tuck it in". After noticing that it looked the same I was told that they can't fix it and I need to get used to it. Apparently engineering is aware and when the fix is there, I can report issue again.
When picking up car from service I noticed several other major assembly issues around headlights, roof and inside on the microphone/emergency button panel on the roof that barely hold itself in.
I'm really disappointed and mad.
$62K plus for this...this is unacceptable.
I can't enjoy driving this car anymore.
I want to return it but don't know if it is even possible and if I could even exchange and pay up for a Model S. I know that car is built well.
Any suggestions? What are my options?

Much obliged....
Sounds about right for a first year production car. Thank you for being a "founders edition" buyer.

Never Buy A New Car Or A Car In Its First Year Of Redesign

To fix the range, get rid of the 21 boat anchor wheels that weight 60 lbs per corner, and get something smaller and lighter, like these and dump the summer sport tires, and get low rolling resistance tires... Like these all seasons, every EV owner knows those sport tires and massive steamroller boat anchor wheels kill range.

If the pedal seam really bothers you, pull it and have someone (body shop) sand it down and paint it red or whatever you want or buy an aftermarket aluminum one like these.

People put more effort into venting their spleen on this site, after they didn't inspect the car. Windshield crack could have happened to any car.

Sell it and go get something that makes you feel happy, sounds like you should get an S...

Last edited:
Reactions: jay35 and VT_EE
Sounds about right for a first year production car. Thank you for being a "founders edition" buyer.

Never Buy A New Car Or A Car In Its First Year Of Redesign

To fix the range, get rid of the 21 boat anchor wheels that weight 60 lbs per corner, and get something smaller and lighter, like these and dump the summer sport tires, and get low rolling resistance tires... Like these all seasons, every EV owner knows those sport tires and massive steamroller boat anchor wheels kill range.

If the pedal seam really bothers you, pull it and have someone (body shop) sand it down and paint it red or whatever you want or buy an aftermarket aluminum one like these.

People put more effort into venting their spleen on this site, after they didn't inspect the car. Windshield crack could have happened to any car.

Sell it and go get something that makes you feel happy, sounds like you should get an S...

here's the brake pedal that fits the Model Y - $86. Wilwood 340-13834 Swing Mount Clutch/Brake Pedal

This swinging mount pedal assembly mounts a single brake or clutch master cylinder in a forward position outside the firewall. This item features a lightweight aluminum frame, with a high strength reinforced I-Beam style forged 7:1 ratio pedal Arm. The non-skid waffled pedal pad can be laterally adjusted for driver preference or clearance as necessary. This pedal accepts any Wilwood vertical mount flange single or tandem outlet master cylinder. Horizontal mount flange master cylinders require an adapter kit.

• Aluminum construction
  • Black E-Coat finish
  • Forward mount facing
Wilwood Pedal Instructions (PDF)

Wilwood Pedal Features (PDF)

That's not the point either. You're a funny one.

The point is Tesla can and should do better with build quality. They get exactly zero excuses.

I don't think their is any excuse either. But in the mind of shareholders who at the end of the day have the greatest power, they couldn't care less as long as sales go up.. if the people want a vote, they certainly aren't casting it as they keep buying the cars. Honestly for things like the brake pedal mounting arm, yeah doesnt look great, especially since the one next to it looks perfect... I would be curious to see what it looks like on the M3.. my guess is they wanted to reuse the part, couldn't and had to quick fab something.

Just a first couple of issues.
-rear seat panel, thats what it looks like after "repair"
-paint issue was resolved
-brake pedal clearly welded down the middle, normal according to Tesla Service

...more to come.

P.S. abnormal energy usage is 360-390 Wh/mi on average vs the rated 285, I believe
This is all on flat roads (US101) of Bay Area in CA in 60-80F Spring weather.

The paint issue sucks, but it's easily fixed. Buffer marks. Recommend taking it to a pro.

Maybe it is just me, but returning a car because there is a visible seam on the brake pedal strut is a new level of picky.

Don't believe I have ever looked at the brake pedal strut in any car...EVER!

Obsessing on things like this totally misses the value of what Tesla brings to the table.

If you want a perfect car, don't buy a Tesla. They are not perfect. Stick with German or Japanese cars if panel gaps are your thing.

My point was not an excuse - it was that every brand of vehicle involves compromise of some sort.

Buyers decide which compromises they can live with every time they buy a car.

I agree, in the end buyers weigh the pros and cons obviously before buying a car. I think most potential potential buyers who have done their homework before buying a car would quickly come across the QC problems Tesla's are known for. Hopefully they take that into account before buying a car.

Tesla is in a unique place right now however where no one really matches their price to performance, wether that's battery life or driving performance. So they have a huge differentiator that can overcome the QC issues they also have. Until more competition comes to the market though Tesla knows as long as the cars look ok to most people they don't have to do anything else to improve QC. It's all about building cars as fast as possible right now to make shareholders happy, not car owners.

In the next few years as competition finally starts coming into the market place buyers will soon start demanding Tesla's quality match that of lower priced offerings, otherwise buyers will finally start speaking with their wallets and stop buying them. But again right now Tesla has no reason to worry about QC as they are selling like hot cakes and QC is a lower priority for buyers compared to things like battery life, performance, etc...

Reactions: Electric Steve
Tesla is in a unique place right now however where no one really matches their price to performance, wether that's battery life or driving performance....

In the next few years as competition finally starts coming into the market place...

And when those competitors finally enter the market they’ll be prone to the same sorts of new-model glitches experienced by all manufacturers, PLUS they’ll be many of those brands’ first BEVs, a combination that doesn’t bode well for either initial quality or long term reliability.

Tesla literally has a decade head start and millions of cars’ worth of BEV experience and even industry insiders concede that Tesla’s tech and architecture is generations ahead of the legacy mfrs. That experience will serve them well for years to come.

Last edited:
And when those competitors finally enter the market they’ll be prone to the same sorts of new-model glitches experienced by all manufacturers, PLUS they’ll be many of those brands’ first BEVs, a combination that doesn’t bode well for either initial quality or long term reliability.
Not necessarily... Chevy pretty much nailed the battery/motor tech in the Bolt and have no fit/finish issues like Tesla has. The main complaint on the 2017-19 Bolts were uncomfortable front seats, and GM gave the 2020 Bolt new front seats.

Reactions: jay35

Tesla literally has a decade head start and millions of cars’ worth of BEV experience and even industry insiders concede that Tesla’s tech and architecture is generations ahead of the legacy mfrs. That experience will serve them well for years to come.
Other manufacturers have long ago figured out how to deliver cars with decent paint jobs and panels that actually fit, especially at such a high price point. There's nothing special for Tesla to learn; they already know. What's lacking are market forces (read: competition) compelling them to care. If they thought they could sell more cars by doing better QA, they would.

P.S. abnormal energy usage is 360-390 Wh/mi on average vs the rated 285, I believe
This is all on flat roads (US101) of Bay Area in CA in 60-80F Spring weather.

That averages a range of less than 200 miles (100% charge to 0) and only 70% the advertised range of 280 miles published on their site (260 if all highway and 76%) . Did you assume a 80 kWh pack in your 285 or does it account for speed?

This forum has some info with less consumption then you state and they note they are driving it like they stole it?

I watched some vids with it over 300 also but possibly a bit colder outside than at yours and less consumption than your 360 to 390.

Is Taking An Electric SUV On A 1000-Mile Roadtrip In Heavy Snowfall As Easy As A Gasoline Car?

Obviously 70 mph has something to do with it but you would think not 25-30% and that the heat pump should be working? Not a big deal for those with SC's closely spaced and always above 32 oF. The above link just picks an alternate SC, however, currently we can not do that and for us with them 100 to 125 miles apart range becomes critical at the regular 0 oF we get here for months. Not anxiety but reality. It will be good to get further info on consumption.

The brake pedal works, rear seat panels do not fall off and the trunks close solid is good for me. How it works/goes; not how it looks. Fast and range is where it is at for me. 19" winters if they fit should reduce consumption.