Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ugh....I want to return my Y...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m getting curious about the Chevy Bolt. I know it’s only FWD but the fact that you can get this for the low 20’s after state rebate (5000 off) is attractive. The vehicle however is not. I’m curious more so to see the SR+ version of the Model Y next year. While this is only going to be FWD I wonder if it would make the price more palatable. I’m having a hard time getting over the sticker price. Even after the state rebate I am looking at 48,000 and that is about 10k more than I ever have paid for a car and at the end of the day I am looking at a $700 payment for 6 years.

-carbon fiber spoiler on the back coming off. I have not washed the car myself since delivery, only washed by Tesla Service.
-I cannot upload a video of the emergency light/microphone panel being loose but from the image, I hope you can see that the left side does not cling to the roof as tightly as the right. I can push left side in about 1/4 inch before it sits in properly.
Had same spoiler issue on delivery. They replaced it and managed to chip the paint in the process. Another service appointment next week which will probably require another spoiler after the repair.

• Funny
Reactions: NY_Rob and Watts_Up
If you that unhappy and Tesla has given up on fixing the defects you have 2 choices as many have opined:

1. Keep it and solider on and attempt to find fixes from other sources
2. Sell or trade it, but to that your most likely going to have to get most if not all the defects fixed else be prepared to take it in the shorts

So I circle back to the beginning, has Tesla REFUSED to address your concerns, or have you tried escalation procedures even if that means tweeting Elon himself and publically shaming Tesla.

Good luck.

...Sell or trade it, but to that your most likely going to have to get most if not all the defects fixed else be prepared to take it in the shorts.

That's the part that irritates me the most... it's okay for Tesla to sell us a brand new vehicle with defects which they may or may not fix. But, once we want to sell that same vehicle as a used vehicle... all those issues need to be fixed or you will have to discount the selling price.

Talk about a double standard!! :mad:

That's the part that irritates me the most... it's okay for Tesla to sell us a brand new vehicle with defects which they may or may not fix. But, once we want to sell that same vehicle as a used vehicle... all those issues need to be fixed or you will have to discount the selling price.

Talk about a double standard!! :mad:

The only double standard in this is from the person who accepted delivery with known defects, ESPECIALLY when the OP indicates that they knew to watch for issues upon delivery.
Seems they wanted to get the car home more than they wanted it to be “perfect”.

Reactions: jimmym1981
I find it hard to fault the new-car buyer. so many emotions are going on. its hard to walk away, especially after a long wait, etc.

they should have rejected it, but from what I'm reading on the forums, I would not touch a model Y for at least a year, at this point. tesla needs an adult in charge and they don't have it, so quality is not a priority to them, only sales.

And here is where I add my two cents. Not all Model Y's have these issues. Remember that if Tesla has sold 15,000 Model Y's at this point and 90% have been fine, that means that there are 1500 cars out there that were less than perfect. On forums like this, you will predominantly hear from the folks that are having problems. I'm not downplaying the issues, just trying to put it in perspective. I took delivery of my Model Y on 6/29. Was every gap exactly perfect? No. But having owned some very expensive German cars over the years, it was not a whole lot worse than any of them. With the exception of a few minor gap issues, everything else on the car has been perfect.

There are more folks out there like me who absolutely love their cars than folks with issues. I went to my delivery with a two page checklist after hearing all the horror stories on the forum. After about five minutes, I crumpled it up and threw it away. The car is an absolute delight to drive. While I considered waiting, I am so glad that I didn't. If you order the car, take a checklist with you to delivery. If you have concerns, deal with it right there and don't accept delivery if you can't resolve all your concerns. I believe the odds are way in your favor that you won't get disappointed.

The only double standard in this is from the person who accepted delivery with known defects, ESPECIALLY when the OP indicates that they knew to watch for issues upon delivery.
Seems they wanted to get the car home more than they wanted it to be “perfect”.
The only thing Tesla seems to have perfected is the balance between "Shut up and take my money" and "I wouldn't take it if it was free"

I'd say the burden of proof is on those who claim that there are more folks unhappy with their Y than happy. So cite your source.

you need to unpack that sentence since compounding things isn't helpful.

its both possible to enjoy what the car design brings; AND hate many of the actual implementation details.

its too binary to ask if you are 'happy or not'. its a lot of grey levels, don't you think?

people can read the forum and make up their own minds. all the data is here and its usually honest first-hand user reports, which I trust over any 'survey' studies.

tesla has a lot of work to do before I would give them an A rating. we need to be honest. fanboys aren't helpful.

you need to unpack that sentence since compounding things isn't helpful.

its both possible to enjoy what the car design brings; AND hate many of the actual implementation details.

its too binary to ask if you are 'happy or not'. its a lot of grey levels, don't you think?

people can read the forum and make up their own minds. all the data is here and its usually honest first-hand user reports, which I trust over any 'survey' studies.

tesla has a lot of work to do before I would give them an A rating. we need to be honest. fanboys aren't helpful.
Dude, I literally used the sentence fragment that cucubits was challenging.

Whiners aren't helpful, either.

Easy guys. I wasn't trying to be a "fan boy". I'm just trying to point out the obvious, which is that people with issues will be the ones who post in the forum looking for help and advice. You rarely see folks getting on to say how perfect their cars have been. It does tend to slant the views on here.

This is very true. That said, I have about 10 items that I listed out in my service order which is scheduled for tomorrow. I spoke to my service tech this morning and asked him if he reviewed the list. He said he did review each item and says he's confident they can take care of all of them in one day. If that is the case, that will be impressive, to say the least so we shall see about that.

Unfortunately, no loaner cars are available and the only thing they offered was "uber credits" to get home and come back to pick it up. If it's just the day then that is fine but if this turns into multiple days, that will be challenging.

This is very true. That said, I have about 10 items that I listed out in my service order which is scheduled for tomorrow. I spoke to my service tech this morning and asked him if he reviewed the list. He said he did review each item and says he's confident they can take care of all of them in one day. If that is the case, that will be impressive, to say the least so we shall see about that.

Unfortunately, no loaner cars are available and the only thing they offered was "uber credits" to get home and come back to pick it up. If it's just the day then that is fine but if this turns into multiple days, that will be challenging.
If you indicate that Uber credits will not be sufficient (e.g., to go to work that's a long commute) and/or ask nicely, I've found that the SvC can notify you of a loaner becoming available.