Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ugh....I want to return my Y...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just for some perspective, the whole concept of paying "$XX" for a car and expecting it to be without flaws is entirely relative. Having been a 'car guy', owning 26 vehicles now and being on forums for pretty much all of them, I see the same comments at nearly every price point. People have said they expected their car should be flawless because they paid 30K for it, despite the 30k model being a touring trim added on top of a low 20k base price car.

The cost is really irrelevant. You bought a new car, you expect good results...and that will be the case no matter how much you paid for it.

Also true though...every new car has issues. Every single one I've owned has the same sort of threads, especially on first model year vehicles.

While I understand and appreciate the frustrations, something like you see posted above (wet sanding marks) is correctable in about 30 seconds of polishing...even by hand with an off the shelf rubbing compound.

So yes...it's annoying, and some of these issues are not easily correctable. But this particular one is. Very easily correctable. Should you need to do so yourself? No. Is it worth the self entitled superiority complex type comment how you spent "$XX" money on a car and expect perfection? That's your prerogative.
  1. You're generally correct. All cars have defects, at any price point, and we can't expect them to be perfect.
  2. You're somewhat incorrect, in that Tesla seems to have more cosmetic defects than a typical car in the same price range.
  3. The fact that a lot of these defects are cheap and easy to correct actually makes me angrier. My local Nissan dealer has the cars in its lot detailed before delivery, precisely so that these kinds of problems are fixed before the buyer has to see them. Why can't Tesla do the same?

1. You're generally correct. All cars have defects, at any price point, and we can't expect them to be perfect.
  2. You're somewhat incorrect, in that Tesla seems to have more cosmetic defects than a typical car in the same price range.
  3. The fact that a lot of these defects are cheap and easy to correct actually makes me angrier. My local Nissan dealer has the cars in its lot detailed before delivery, precisely so that these kinds of problems are fixed before the buyer has to see them. Why can't Tesla do the same?

You'll have you clarify for me where I indicated a metric for quantifying number of defects vs the competition?

To your last point, Nissan has been in the business a lot longer than Tesla. Using that as a starting point, it's undeniable that Tesla IS making progress on QC. It's still not to the same level as other manufacturers, but those guys have the years of experience to have gotten it right.

Inversely, Tesla is offering a product that is unmatched in other regards compared to other manufacturers. Nissan has an EV...you could ask them the same question worded another way. Why can't they get the EV right in the way Tesla has?

Reactions: Watts_Up
You'll have you clarify for me where I indicated a metric for quantifying number of defects vs the competition?

To your last point, Nissan has been in the business a lot longer than Tesla. Using that as a starting point, it's undeniable that Tesla IS making progress on QC. It's still not to the same level as other manufacturers, but those guys have the years of experience to have gotten it right.

Inversely, Tesla is offering a product that is unmatched in other regards compared to other manufacturers. Nissan has an EV...you could ask them the same question worded another way. Why can't they get the EV right in the way Tesla has?

Yes, Telsa's better on the EV side of things. That's why I have one on order. But they are just plain bad when it comes to QA. The only way buyers are winding up with cars with these sort of defects is that Tesla's not bothering to fix them up before sale.

Nissan couldn't get away with this because they're selling cars that are pretty much like everyone else's. Tesla apparently can get away with such sloppiness, but that doesn't mean we have to be happy about it.

I think thats the only reason we are all here. I came from a Mercedes AMG that was the same price as this car, and skipped getting a GLC AMG because of Autopilot FSD and the fact that this car would smoke the AMG off the line for less money.

Teslas QC and "premium" interior is a joke, and looks like *sugar* next to Mercedes interior (even their base models at the same price level as Tesla). And im talking about quality and materials here, not design. The headliner in the Model Y belongs in a 20k car, not a 70k "premium" "performance" car.

If tesla stays the same in their materials and QC...do you really think I will stick around if Mercedes matches an EV with the same tech and performance as a Tesla for the same price?

Reactions: Pilot1226 and teko
I think thats the only reason we are all here. I came from a Mercedes AMG that was the same price as this car, and skipped getting a GLC AMG because of Autopilot FSD and the fact that this car would smoke the AMG off the line for less money.

Teslas QC and "premium" interior is a joke, and looks like *sugar* next to Mercedes interior (even their base models at the same price level as Tesla). And im talking about quality and materials here, not design. The headliner in the Model Y belongs in a 20k car, not a 70k "premium" "performance" car.

If tesla stays the same in their materials and QC...do you really think I will stick around if Mercedes matches an EV with the same tech and performance as a Tesla for the same price?

In response to the bolded, Tesla is probably 5 years ahead of the other manufacturers in tech and performance. So...if in 5 years time Mercedes catches up and manages to keep their price on par with what Tesla is doing price wise, then that's worth revisiting.

Keep in mind though, you're making the argument that the Model Y is a 70k car in the way a Mercedes is a 70k car. That's not an apples to apples comparison. The Model Y is a 40k car that's been optioned out to 70k.

Mercedes does do this with their cars too. I bought a 2015 C300 sport, MSRP of around 55k. Had a backup cam and a few other real weak options at that price point. Didn't even have voice command. Critical design flaw of no touch screen and the forced use of a track pad. It was absolutely awful to use.

And that's not including the shortblock rebuild it needed at 11k miles due to improper tolerances designed in their piston wrist pins that caused a cold start knocking noise.

11k miles, car down for 2 weeks for a rebuild...zero confidence in that vehicle afterwards. I'd much prefer cosmetic defects that require light, non invasive repairs.

Would I be happy about it? Nope. But I've had worse. Much worse.

Heavens yes! This^^^^^!

I awoke in a complete sweat this morning with the NIGHTMARE of that Model Y headliner. (Somehow Sandy Munro disassembled the entire car and only had positive things to say about the headliner, but what does he know after six decades in the car business?)

The Tesla Supercharger network is over 17,000 charge stations around the gobe, and the current EV offerings from MBZ (and other legacy ICE brands) languish with poor sales and even worse resale value, reflecting they're nothing but half-hearted, "converted" ICE models, meant to give them just barely enough EV credits to keep selling their GHG-spewing mainline products.

But, wow, I bet they've got AWESOME headliners so go with what floats your boat! (But please don't come crying here when you suffer an 80% loss in value in less than three years.)

My two cents — the lower the price of the vehicle, the better the manufacturer has to be at delivering it with minimal defects. There is very little margin to play with at the low end — having to pay to repaint body panels or expend hours of warranty labor to swap out parts will destroy any chance of turning a profit.

As others have pointed out, the lack of a “middle man” (dealerships) also seems to contribute to some of the shortfalls in vehicle delivery. While (so far) I like the no-dealership approach with Tesla and all the benefits (and efficiencies) that brings, you can’t take all the benefits without some of the costs. That means having to replicate some of the value that the dealership brings to the experience — like not leaving it up to the customer to find things like dirty interiors and chipped paint that occurred during transport. Tesla’s ability to replicate those functions seems to be hit-or-miss, at least based on the experiences here.

It’s been interesting seeing both sides of the debate — ultimately, Tesla will need to figure it out for the long term if it wants to be a profitable, volume producer. In the meantime, the focus is on the sheer number of units produced and that means Tesla will continue to push as many Model Ys out the door, warts and all.

Last edited:
I would like to have a little more wiggle room to negotiate. Maybe not purchase price, but they're definitely the lowest trade-in appraisal out of about 5 difference places including CarMax and Carvana. By over $1000.

So you think paying $60k+ for new car with paint that looks like 20200421_190704.jpg is ok? LOL.

So, you think you’re going to buy a Tesla, at any price, that doesn’t have paint issues after all the negative hype for over a decade? More LOL... You guys need to give it a rest. It’s been beat to death. You don’t want one, don’t buy one. You don’t want one, then go post somewhere else about something else.

There are any number of automakers that produce pristine looking cars. Name one that provides everything else that Tesla does, with their capabilities, at the price they do, with the infrastructure they have... We’ll wait.

ß

Personally I am willing to deal with a couple imperfections to have a more superior vehicle. I can deal with bad paint and such so long as they fix it or credit me some way. I don't plan on ceramic coating it or wrapping it, just going to hit it twice a year with a TurtleWax Ceramic Hybrid like I do my current car with good results and try to wash it at least once a month with my foam cannon...

Personally I am willing to deal with a couple imperfections to have a more superior vehicle. I can deal with bad paint and such so long as they fix it or credit me some way. I don't plan on ceramic coating it or wrapping it, just going to hit it twice a year with a TurtleWax Ceramic Hybrid like I do my current car with good results and try to wash it at least once a month with my foam cannon...
Uhm, isn't that also ceramic coating? It's not pro-grade, but it's the same sort of chemical.

Last non-Tesla car I owned was a 85k BMW M4. First week driving it had two trim pieces fall off the exterior of the car. Also, the interior of that care was on par the the Tesla interiors, and Tesla's interface was light years better than the POS iDrive that it had.

Also owned a 2006 BMW M3 Convertible. That car had the SMG pump die on it and a high pressure oil line burst on the highway, stranding me for like 4 hours for BMW road side assistance to send a tow truck.

Germans have problems too. I will say both cars were super fun to drive though!