Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ugh....I want to return my Y...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey,
as a big Tesla fan, I am a little sad to hear about the issues discussed in this thread.
As the developer of the Android app TeslaRadar, I would like to learn more about the Model Y - from a Bluetooth perspective.

It would be super cool, if you could help us to find out, whether the BLE signature of Model Y differs from the one of Model 3.

Here is a small description on how to help us:
Help Us to Identify Tesla Model Y | Tesla Radar

Thank you very much!

My brake pedal looks terrible as well. Shockingly bad, to the point that I wondered if the weld was supposed to be on the underside. I've already taken my Y to the service center once (panel gap-fixed; stain on seat-seat replaced) and am having mobile service soon (sun visor with stain-to be replaced; door hatch-hopefully fixed). Overall, it's annoying for a pricey car, but the car is a beauty and it drives better than any car I've ever had so I'm ok with it so long as nothing major breaks down.

Hey,
as a big Tesla fan, I am a little sad to hear about the issues discussed in this thread.
As the developer of the Android app TeslaRadar, I would like to learn more about the Model Y - from a Bluetooth perspective.

It would be super cool, if you could help us to find out, whether the BLE signature of Model Y differs from the one of Model 3.

Here is a small description on how to help us:
Help Us to Identify Tesla Model Y | Tesla Radar

Thank you very much!
From the description of what you're doing, there would be no way I'd provide that information, which would be especially valuable to hackers. But please feel free to tell us what the exact purpose of your ask is.

how is that 'valuable to hackers' when they (hackers) can simply walk down any parking lot that has teslas and simply receive the ble beacons. I've done that (I did some ble development and so I also studied, to a small degree, the tesla ble beacons).

they are public. there is no security risk or they would not be, uhm, "BEACONS"

chill. I'm the most security paranoid on this whole forum (so I'm told) and I'm totally ok with all of this.

Reactions: gfunkdave
how is that 'valuable to hackers' when they (hackers) can simply walk down any parking lot that has teslas and simply receive the ble beacons. I've done that (I did some ble development and so I also studied, to a small degree, the tesla ble beacons).

they are public. there is no security risk or they would not be, uhm, "BEACONS"

chill. I'm the most security paranoid on this whole forum (so I'm told) and I'm totally ok with all of this.
Perhaps. The beacon is there. Decoding it for what purpose is the issue.

dude, there's nothing to decode, just the service ID's which are supposed to be unique for devices and standard for standard services.

this is a one-way broadcast over BLE from the car. the phone receives it, runs logic inside the tesla app and then it talks over LTE to the tesla servers that finally talk to the car.

listening for beacons is harmless; by design.

as for what purpose, just like ethernet cards have vendor IDs for the mac addr's - you can find those online and when you look at your MAC, you can match the first bytes with the vendor list to see who 'made' that card or nic.

same thing with beacons. they announce who and what they are.

for stores that use them for advertising and proximity, they can also include urls or other things that some app of theirs can use.

when you register your app and link it with your car, you now have a shared key, and that's what gives you security.

sniffing BLE should never harm the car security. if it does, the car vendor did it wrong.

• Informative
Reactions: Electric Steve
Is that your GT-R? Compare and contrast the experience with the Y?

43E418E9-B3D4-48AD-AB61-4352A4BE4C11.jpeg

Seriously? Just trying to kid you a bit, not offend...

ß

gdzirra09’s profile picture has a Nissan GT-R Aka Godzilla and a Model Y in it. Two monster AWD cars...

I am curious how he compares those two.

make sense?

Driving not panel gaps...
Sure. One a 200k (when new and properly appointed) super car and the other a 70k (PUP) CUV with some poser bits. I get it... ;););) Not trying to troll, honest, but I can’t help myself! I’ll shut up when he responds and says the Y walks on Godzilla, however! :p
ß

Sure. One a 200k (when new and properly appointed) super car and the other a 70k (PUP) CUV with some poser bits. I get it... ;););) Not trying to troll, honest, but I can’t help myself! I’ll shut up when he responds and says the Y walks on Godzilla, however! :p
ß

Exactly why I asked...

I doubt he will say that.

I am never driving a GT-R but I am interested in what a total stranger thinks about it compared to a Model Y but I don’t have much sports to watch in tv either...

I blame cabin fever...

BTW 2009 GTR 0-60 is 3.2s and PUP Model Y is 3.5s...

Reactions: empiredown
Picked up my MSM MY PUP on 3/23, have none of the issues you have....guess I got lucky.
Thanks to everyone for the great info shared on this site. It’s really informative and helped a lot with my decision to order a MY PUP.
Got my car Monday, and it looked great. A small issue with the exterior molding being loose, but that should be easily fixed. Great panel gaps. The big issue is that on my drive home, I realized the AC and heat don’t work at all. The fan blows, but just ambient temp air. I took the car back to the service center and it’s still there. The techs are saying they still don’t know the issue. It’s not software (up to date and been rebooted several times. So it’s electrical or mechanical.

I really like the car, it looks and drives great (although my driving has only been ~40 miles home and back to the service center). My concern is keeping a car with HVAC problems straight from the factory. Had an Audi in the past with a refrigerant leak that no one could ever fix for 7 years. I’m not looking forward to a similar issue with a brand new car. So, I’m seriously considering returning it before my 7 days are up. I told my sales rep that today.

Anyone else having problems like this? Thoughts on trusting service to fix the issue and not have it pop up again?

Thanks!

^^^ I have noted people complaining of noisy heat pumps and speculation of cavitation happening in the system. Some noted theirs are running silent and work perfect. Was the heat pump making noise or was it not working at all? I would guess it will depend on what they ultimately inform you the problem was and what they did to fix it. Appears there are a few bugs (QC issues) to iron out with the new heat pump and octovalve. Bit of a pain paying this much for a vehicle to sit in a garage I am sure. Best of luck.

^^^ I have noted people complaining of noisy heat pumps and speculation of cavitation happening in the system. Some noted theirs are running silent and work perfect. Was the heat pump making noise or was it not working at all? I would guess it will depend on what they ultimately inform you the problem was and what they did to fix it. Appears there are a few bugs (QC issues) to iron out with the new heat pump and octovalve. Bit of a pain paying this much for a vehicle to sit in a garage I am sure. Best of luck.

Sandy Munroe, in one of his latest videos, stated the noisy heat pump issue is due to cavitation (air in the system). System should run quietly when there is no air in the system he stated.

Rich

• Informative
Yeah, Sandy’s videos are outstanding.

My compressor wasn’t kicking on at all, and service just let me know they’re replacing it. They saw no evidence of any refrigerant leaks or electrical/sensor issues, which is good news. They also agreed to extend my return period to cover a few days after I get the car back. So, fingers crossed this takes care of things.

Wow, and I thought I was picky.

We've purchased nine so far, so we have some history with the brand.

After seeing your pics, my first response is, "Are you kidding me?"

My second response is, "You need to buy another brand of EV as it appears you are unlikely to be satisfied by the 'low-cost' Teslas. Ever."
So you think paying $60k+ for new car with paint that looks like 20200421_190704.jpg is ok? LOL.

So you think paying $60k+ for new car with paint that looks like 20200421_190704.jpg is ok? LOL.

Just for some perspective, the whole concept of paying "$XX" for a car and expecting it to be without flaws is entirely relative. Having been a 'car guy', owning 26 vehicles now and being on forums for pretty much all of them, I see the same comments at nearly every price point. People have said they expected their car should be flawless because they paid 30K for it, despite the 30k model being a touring trim added on top of a low 20k base price car.

The cost is really irrelevant. You bought a new car, you expect good results...and that will be the case no matter how much you paid for it.

Also true though...every new car has issues. Every single one I've owned has the same sort of threads, especially on first model year vehicles.

While I understand and appreciate the frustrations, something like you see posted above (wet sanding marks) is correctable in about 30 seconds of polishing...even by hand with an off the shelf rubbing compound.

So yes...it's annoying, and some of these issues are not easily correctable. But this particular one is. Very easily correctable. Should you need to do so yourself? No. Is it worth the self entitled superiority complex type comment how you spent "$XX" money on a car and expect perfection? That's your prerogative.