Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[UK] ‘Highland’ order discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wonder what the Highland car will bring that the Model 3 lacks? It seems to me, based on leaks, that it’s an evolutionary upgrade rather than a completely new car. It’ll get a FSD hardware upgrade for sure, and some styling tweaks, but I suspect in most other ways it’ll not move the Model 3 on a lot. I suspect it’ll still suffer from the excessive road noise of the old car, and its slightly-too-firm ride - the key things I like the least about the car. And of course, there’s the likelihood that it’ll lose the stalks; I think that could be a deal breaker for many.
Yup, it's not going to be revolutionary. Tesla knows it doesn't need to do much to sell cars, so I would assume their focus would be (as it has been for a long time) about increasing their margin per car.

I expect some evolutionary changes like HW4, maybe cameras in the headlights per previous leaks, etc, but people expecting things like HUDs, increased refinement, etc are probably going to be disappointed. I would go further and say I wouldn't be surprised if one or two things were removed.

So you've spent £40,000 (in an ISA) AND are also paying £499 a month?

You get the £40,000 back at the end of course ... but that ongoing £499 opportunity-cost, on top of tying up the money, would bother me.

Unless I'm missing the bleeding-obvious of course ...
The fact that you’re using the term ´spending’ for the action of putting savings into an ISA makes me believe you’re unwilling to get it.

This is the exact opposite of an opportunity cost. You’re borrowing money for free while getting returns on your own cash at the same time.

Reactions: AndyFov
So you've spent £40,000 (in an ISA) AND are also paying £499 a month?

You get the £40,000 back at the end of course ... but that ongoing £499 opportunity-cost, on top of tying up the money, would bother me.

Unless I'm missing the bleeding-obvious of course ...
If you do it that way yes, or my earlier example where you stick the full amount into accessible savings and draw down the monthlies from it leaves you a good £5k better off in interest if you can keep that money earning 4% ish

As usual, take with a pinch of salt until confirmed.

Teslascope here hinting at the range of the Highland models. Latest spy shots seemed to confirm the front bumper cam as well. However, they are also suggesting not until at least Nov/Dec now after delays.
Wow. Finally, a front bumper camera. Like any car in this price range has had for the past half-decade…

Hopefully this should fix park assist

Well just failed my PCP application....British Gas have screwed me over with 3x missed payments on 17th July despite me moving house and closing the account down fully paid up. They've quickly admitted the error and will rectify it with the credit agencies but could take 1-2 months to reflect. Unbelievable, fingers crossed they get them to disappear before end of August :(

do we know what direction its facing? My BMW had front bumper cams pointing left and right for ‘peeking’ out of junctions so may be for FSD?
Nobody knows if there’s really going to be one. A front number camera purely for parking is excessive for Tesla on a car like the M3 (might be different on the cybertruck). Side facing corner cameras and Tesla have all the issues of image stitching they’ve talked about and probably part of the reason they’ve dropped a forward facing camera. So personally I think it’s unlikely

do we have examples of the angles all the cameras point? I know you have the four you can see in the car, but there are two other side ones that I don’t think you can view directly. You’d think you could get a semblence of 360 camera with some stitching, even with gaps it could be useful

I'm tempted by the 0% finance offer, but think I am erring on the side of waiting for Highland.

The 0% finance is a great offer, especially when you consider that the interest rate will probably shoot back up to 7.9% or more by the time Highland arrives.

But I know that buyer's remorse is very likely to kick in if I bought a new Model 3 now.

Reactions: BDMAC
You are going to wait an age for a new M3 Highland, only one factory has shut down to retool, and they will only shut one factory down at a time to retool so there is always output. RHD production will be lowest priority I reckon it will be a significant timeframe before RHD cars are produced as demand for LHD will be masssive so they will produce for that demand first.
Assuming they don't just decide to sell us LHD ones going forwards ;)

when you consider that the interest rate will probably shoot back up to 7.9% or more by the time Highland arrives.

Crystal ball?

here's mine :)

Highland will use all the cost-cutting assembly improvements from MY and a barrow-load more, and at launch with arrive with a 20% price drop ...

And no stalks, yoke, no USS, auto-wipers and headlights still not improved. And a raft of new-model bugs ...

🤩

• Funny
Reactions: AndyFov
do we know what direction its facing? My BMW had front bumper cams pointing left and right for ‘peeking’ out of junctions so may be for FSD?
Are you sure about that? I’ve had a few expensive and recent BMW’s and they only have one camera at the front but it’s wide angle. So it can both do that normal front facing view but also the peaking left / right at junctions trick. Nothing fancy here, lots of cars do this.

Of course once Tesla adds this camera in, the software to make it work could still be years out. Kind of like matrix headlights.

Are you sure about that? I’ve had a few expensive and recent BMW’s and they only have one camera at the front but it’s wide angle. So it can both do that normal front facing view but also the peaking left / right at junctions trick. Nothing fancy here, lots of cars do this.

Of course once Tesla adds this camera in, the software to make it work could still be years out. Kind of like matrix headlights.
I presume Mrklaw is talking about this feature which I had in a 6 series but I don’t think they offer anymore. This is more like the pictures show where cameras are said to be in the headlight housing (unless they were just press studs for the disguise on the cars).

As an aside, I found it really difficult to get in with and I guess others did which is why it got dropped.

Reactions: Mrklaw
I presume Mrklaw is talking about this feature which I had in a 6 series but I don’t think they offer anymore. This is more like the pictures show where cameras are said to be in the headlight housing (unless they were just press studs for the disguise on the cars).

As an aside, I found it really difficult to get in with and I guess others did which is why it got dropped.
I think they could still manage with a single front bumper camera with a 180° field of view (I don’t believe the HW4 main board allowed for more than one extra according to posted teardowns).
JLR had a nice implementation of that for blind spot monitoring and AEB, let’s say you are exiting a parking space forward facing with no visibility on the side. You don’t necessarily need to see the feedback from the sides directly if it’s confusing for the driver, but it could be monitored behind the scenes and just give a wide front view for driver feedback.

They removed USS from the front bumper, I recall this leaves an approx. 30ft blindspot at the front, i guess this is why Autopark and Summon have not reappeared. Despite all the talk, I don’t believe the occupancy network is reliable for parking operations, especially for exiting. They need to fix that with an additional camera eventually.

Yes and I also found it useless and never used it. I want to scan with my eyes all potential hazards and the views were limiting

*loved* the 360 cam though. Not just for parking neatly but for car parks with high kerbs. Priceless. I’m literally avoiding multi story car lanes now unless my wife is with me to be the left side parking sensor for me - whihc works semi ok along with the repeater cams for my rear wheels

360 cam really should be something Tesla offer - doesn’t need to fit into ‘the one stack to rule them all’ which they seem obsessed with. Just lets us see the picture so we can drive the car.

if BMW get their i4 prices down in a few years I might jump.