Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[UK] ‘Highland’ order discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
360 cam really should be something Tesla offer - doesn’t need to fit into ‘the one stack to rule them all’ which they seem obsessed with. Just lets us see the picture so we can drive the car.
I suspect they won't do that as it would involve paying other companies for the patent as 360 camera are a patented technology so I can see thats the sort of thing Elon would say he's not going to pay and isn't needed

I suspect they won't do that as it would involve paying other companies for the patent as 360 camera are a patented technology so I can see thats the sort of thing Elon would say he's not going to pay and isn't needed
Maybe they could find a way around that but I think actually they cannot do it currently as not only are they missing the front camera but the side cameras are not pointing in the right direction for it. They are normally in the mirrors and looking down and not backwards like they do in a Tesla.

Canada, which receive from Shanghai too, have "normal" times

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230802_193224_Firefox Beta.png
    Screenshot_20230802_193224_Firefox Beta.png
    188.1 KB · Views: 68
Canada, which receive from Shanghai too, have "normal" times

I know that the article says the European Model 3 is made in Shanghai but I thought that LHD mainland Europe cars (as opposed to RHD UK cars) were made in Berlin?

The screenshots in the article are in German (?) with metric units and priced in Euro so not UK delivery cycle.

UK deliveries are still showing Aug/Sep so either excess stock (most likely) for next delivery phase or it’s not a story (yet in UK) as the specified dates would match normal end of quarterly delivery cycles.

IMG_0281.jpeg

Last edited:
Berlin only manufactures the MY.
Is Berlin due to start making (LHD only?) Model 3? That would also be a reason for the gap. It would also make sense to do that when introducing a facelift so both could be linked. I’ve lost track of tax implications of importing non EU cars into the EU so that may also be a benefit for mainland Europe buyers.

Is Berlin due to start making (LHD only?) Model 3? That would also be a reason for the gap. It would also make sense to do that when introducing a facelift so both could be linked. I’ve lost track of tax implications of importing non EU cars into the EU so that may also be a benefit for mainland Europe buyers.

with the difference in volumes of Y vs 3 these days you’d think they probably wouldn’t bother. Unless they have been expanding and adding capacity, can’t imagine them cutting Y capacity to produce 3

its intersting all the fuss over what is almost an LCI - although structurally I guess its more a new model? We were probably similar waiting for the LCI or new 4 series and tracking deliveries on boats etc but its all a bit silly almost.

10% extra range if true will be welcome but we already had that with the current 3 as well. A refreshed look doesn't hurt, but most of the rest is to Tesla's benefit in terms of cost to produce. Obvilously you want the new rather than the old, but it may take a couple of years for production to settle and those cost savings to percolate through and hopefully start seeing reductions in list prices (or Tesla will just take the margin - if the competition can't reduce prices and you have strong demand why not)?

Wouldn't say no to a Y RWD with 10% more range. That one is starting to feel a little short legged.

Reactions: bckelowna
interesting - thought there were some fundamental manufacturing differences that would make that interleaving difficult/impractical? I guess they don't want to interrupt supply while perhaps dry running production on highland?

woudl you want the first production highland off the line?
Would you want the first production highland off the line at Fremont? :p

interesting - thought there were some fundamental manufacturing differences that would make that interleaving difficult/impractical? I guess they don't want to interrupt supply while perhaps dry running production on highland?

woudl you want the first production highland off the line?
Would you want the first production highland off the line at Fremont? :p
I wouldn't want a fresh from the oven car lol...let people test it before me

Reactions: Mrklaw
Guess they alternating building is using different lines. A couple of days of highland then maybe some tweaks if needed to improve the line efficiency. After a couple of weeks the old Model 3 line stops and is then converted also to Highland so they can ramp up production.

Wonder when they will announce it. You'd think not until they've cleared most of their backlog of the current model and also I guess will have built up enough Highland ready to go. Bound to be a spike in demand if they do this right and it's compelling enough.

That youtube guy talking about distance measurement with the front bumper cam - he realises we already have a rear camera that doesn’t give reliable distance

And he says it solves blind spots - well for parking the entire front half of the car down both sides would still have blind spots as only the repeater cams point down, not the b-pillar cams.