Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[UK] 2020.20.x

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am not a patent expert but having looked at the Mobileye patent it seems very generic to me. It seems odd to be able to corner the market on a computer capability of recognising the characters on a street sign by means of a camera. I do hope Tesla (and others) can successfully implement a way of doing it without impinging on the Mobileye patent.

Many industries have problems with often very basic and wide ranging patents that were often granted some time ago.

Usually they follow the same dance where they try to reach agreement with the patent owner, fail, try to work around it, fail, then eventually spend the time and money to get the original patent revoked.

A whole business model has built up around acquiring failed/failing businesses that happen to have older wide-ranging but basic patents and then using them to extort money and other advantages from companies currently making money in a related manner.

I've been dragged into a few of these over the years and they waste a lot of time and money unfortunately and ultimately have nothing to do with protecting the rights of genuine inventors.

Many industries have problems with often very basic and wide ranging patents that were often granted some time ago.

Usually they follow the same dance where they try to reach agreement with the patent owner, fail, try to work around it, fail, then eventually spend the time and money to get the original patent revoked.

A whole business model has built up around acquiring failed/failing businesses that happen to have older wide-ranging but basic patents and then using them to extort money and other advantages from companies currently making money in a related manner.

I've been dragged into a few of these over the years and they waste a lot of time and money unfortunately and ultimately have nothing to do with protecting the rights of genuine inventors.
My eyes can detect the speed limit and I can control my actions based upon what I can see. Am I infringing their patent? Sorry its BLX! Ps Audi have done it for years and only seem to charge £150 for the option.

A1377D61-5498-413A-97EB-CD870BCCC23B.jpeg

AA52EC5C-4F97-44CB-9793-DECD484FA104.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: CMc1