Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[UK] 2020.28.x

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2020.28.2 now. Initial indications are that charging problems are fixed including control by Zappi which is great.

Just been for a quick drive. Autosteer slowed down from 60 very nicely for a roundabout and then accelerated very briskly just before reaching it! Went round the corner into the 30 limit which, as previously it recognised about 100m late. Engaged TACC at 30 before reaching the speed camera. Suddenly the car accelerated- the whole of that road is now shown with a 60 limit. I’m sure it wasn’t before. Has there been a nav update? I’m showing eu2019.20-10482. Don’t know what it might have been before.

Also noticed a stop line nicely visualised with the word STOP (even though it was a give way!) and, elsewhere, I think, a much bigger visualisation of a traffic light making the colour easier to see.

I didn’t think the additional reversing images were very helpful. Front corners would be much more useful but I don’t think any of the cameras can see them.

2020.28.2 now. Initial indications are that charging problems are fixed including control by Zappi which is great.

Just been for a quick drive. Autosteer slowed down from 60 very nicely for a roundabout and then accelerated very briskly just before reaching it! Went round the corner into the 30 limit which, as previously it recognised about 100m late. Engaged TACC at 30 before reaching the speed camera. Suddenly the car accelerated- the whole of that road is now shown with a 60 limit. I’m sure it wasn’t before. Has there been a nav update? I’m showing eu2019.20-10482. Don’t know what it might have been before.

Also noticed a stop line nicely visualised with the word STOP (even though it was a give way!) and, elsewhere, I think, a much bigger visualisation of a traffic light making the colour easier to see.

I didn’t think the additional reversing images were very helpful. Front corners would be much more useful but I don’t think any of the cameras can see them.
This is a great story but you're using autosteer on a road it's not designed for (see manual) - so any behaviour you're getting that you don't like/expect is entirely down to you rather than autosteer or TACC doing something it shouldn't.

(To be clear - it's not designed to handle roundabouts - if it happened to slow for one I would put that down more to luck than it genuinely doing that with intention)

This is a great story but you're using autosteer on a road it's not designed for (see manual) - so any behaviour you're getting that you don't like/expect is entirely down to you rather than autosteer or TACC doing something it shouldn't.

(To be clear - it's not designed to handle roundabouts - if it happened to slow for one I would put that down more to luck than it genuinely doing that with intention)

Fully agree - I always disengage FSD (and TACC) when approaching roundabouts as it is positively dangerous to attempt to navigate automatically when it is not designed to in the UK, especially when road markings are poor.

Don’t worry. I was fully alert to the possibility of strange things happening! If I remember rightly, Tesla say Autosteer is ok on freeways and should not be used in city streets. That leaves a massive grey area in between where it is worth seeing, with suitable care, how close they are getting to FSD ability. TACC is another matter. It should be safe to use in a 30 limit to ensure the speed limit is observed. In this case there is a gross mapping error showing a 60 limit in an area that I imagine has had a 30 limit for at least 30 years. And having engaged TACC with 30 max showing the car started accelerating towards an indicated 60max.

Don’t worry. I was fully alert to the possibility of strange things happening! If I remember rightly, Tesla say Autosteer is ok on freeways and should not be used in city streets. That leaves a massive grey area in between where it is worth seeing, with suitable care, how close they are getting to FSD ability. TACC is another matter. It should be safe to use in a 30 limit to ensure the speed limit is observed. In this case there is a gross mapping error showing a 60 limit in an area that I imagine has had a 30 limit for at least 30 years. And having engaged TACC with 30 max showing the car started accelerating towards an indicated 60max.

Maybe it "should" be but it's clearly specified that it's not for such a road. You might think it's "worth seeing how close they are getting to FSD ability" but what you're actually doing is testing something that it's very specifically meant for certain conditions and you're assuming it's using FSD features/logic - it isn't! As I said, if it somehow manages to do something 'smart' on a city street/roundabout that is almost certainly just luck and not any clever FSD behaviour.

TACC section of manual:

"Traffic-Aware Cruise Control is primarily intended for driving on dry, straight roads, such as highways and freeways. It should not be used on city streets."

Autosteer section of manual:

"WARNING: Autosteer is intended for use only on highways and limited access roads with a fully attentive driver. When using Autosteer, hold the steering wheel and be mindful of road conditions and surrounding traffic. Do not use Autosteer on city streets, in construction zones, or in areas where bicyclists or pedestrians may be present."

Doesn’t make sense why they’ve pushed this out so fast. I know rumours of traffic lights etc but that could have been a .1 release. 2020.28 on week 28 of the calendar is rushed. It’s usually 3-4 weeks after

bhav Having re~read the 6 pages of manual devoted to TACC, I stand corrected. However, in the section on ‘Cruise indications’ the manual says of a greyed out speed sign
Traffic-Aware Cruise Control is available but is not actively controlling your speed until you activate it. The number shown in gray is determined by Speed Assist (see Controlling Speed Assist on page 105).
Perhaps the facility should only be available where it is intended to be used?

Since very little of my driving is on highways without roundabouts, the provision of basic cruise control and speed limiting would be more useful to me than TACC.

The manual also says
Restricted Speed
Autosteer is intended for use only by a fully attentive driver on freeways and highways where access is limited by entry and exit ramps. If you choose to use Autosteer on residential roads, a road without a center divider, or a road where access is not limited, Autosteer may limit the maximum allowed cruising speed.

This suggests Tesla are expecting to use Autosteer in less than the recommended conditions!

Reactions: bhav
bhav Having re~read the 6 pages of manual devoted to TACC, I stand corrected. However, in the section on ‘Cruise indications’ the manual says of a greyed out speed sign
Traffic-Aware Cruise Control is available but is not actively controlling your speed until you activate it. The number shown in gray is determined by Speed Assist (see Controlling Speed Assist on page 105).
Perhaps the facility should only be available where it is intended to be used?

Since very little of my driving is on highways without roundabouts, the provision of basic cruise control and speed limiting would be more useful to me than TACC.

The manual also says
Restricted Speed
Autosteer is intended for use only by a fully attentive driver on freeways and highways where access is limited by entry and exit ramps. If you choose to use Autosteer on residential roads, a road without a center divider, or a road where access is not limited, Autosteer may limit the maximum allowed cruising speed.

This suggests Tesla are expecting to use Autosteer in less than the recommended conditions!
They're expecting it because people don't read the f***ing manual! ;):D

28.x Updates seem to have gone quiet. Apparently 16 amp charging is fixed in either .1 or .2
Might one suppose that it’s not being generally pushed out until the charging issue is being seen to be resolved?