Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[UK] 2020.36.x

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have to ask, can anyone who does not have FSD but has HW3 post the release notes please.

No signs showing up at all, the TACC speed adjust to your speed does work.

I find speed signs only show on certain roads. As you don't have FSD you won't be able to tell, but I find that any road where NoA is available (so typically a major dual carriageway or motorway) will not show speed signs - the caveat seems to be 'local roads' what ever is meant by that.

Interesting that TACC does work though. Did it before when it was purely GPS? Is it definitely responding to the sign rather than old GPS triggers? I guess a temporary sign, or possibly an incorrect GPS limit are the only way to know for sure.

Interesting that TACC does work though. Did it before when it was purely GPS? Is it definitely responding to the sign rather than old GPS triggers? I guess a temporary sign, or possibly an incorrect GPS limit are the only way to know for sure.
Ahh, I've confused things. What I meant to say is adjusting the cruise speed to your current speed by tapping the speed indicator now works. It doesn't adjust speed according to signs as far as I can tell. My commute is dual carriageways, A roads and B roads with plenty of signs on all of them, nothing showed up.

Release notes on my UK RHD M3LR non-FSD 2020.36.10 Nav: EU-2019.20.10482
36.10 M3LR Non-FSD.jpg

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: MrBadger
I just popped down my local rural road to the next village.
It saw all the the signs and dropped the speed at the sign rather than 100 yards later.
Didn’t display NSL signs on the way back but I’m sure it saw them and reacted quicker.
Now here’s the glitch; I turned left into a lane to to turn round. When I got back to the junction the road opposite had a 30 sign which it saw.
I turned right back on my my road which was 50. It stayed at 30 until it saw a 50 repeater.

the speed also set to current Speed when I touched the speedometer. I genuinely cannot see the point of that. It’s much safer to spin the thumbwheel and it remains “arse about face” compared to other vehicles.

FOOTNOTE. There was one those huge tractors approaching with it’s fat tyres over the white line. Car didn’t like that at all! Went straight into panic mode!!

Last edited:
Reactions: Landwomble
Ahh, I've confused things. What I meant to say is adjusting the cruise speed to your current speed by tapping the speed indicator now works. It doesn't adjust speed according to signs as far as I can tell. My commute is dual carriageways, A roads and B roads with plenty of signs on all of them, nothing showed up.

Release notes on my UK RHD M3LR non-FSD 2020.36.10 Nav: EU-2019.20.10482
View attachment 588727
I did a full reset before I used it. Everything works. Might just be location or “local” roads only at this stage.

Reactions: mpandrew
I left for work half an hour early. I did a full reset before I set off. I don't have FSD. I haven't had the map update either - I wonder if Tesla have pulled this (like the one a few months ago) as some people have reported weirdness with speed limits set too low on some roads and the car slowing down stupidly as a result.

The first 10 minutes of my journey... no signs recognised and these are local roads.

Once I got about half way (I went via back roads rather than the dual carriageway today) it started recognising the road signs and changing the speed limit sign on the right of the 'dashboard' but didn't adjust the speed automatically either when TACC or Autopilot was switched on. Could adjust the speed by pressing the speed limit sign, and could adjust the speed by pressing the current speed, as advertised. It recognised a 20mph limit sign when I turned right into an estate I have to drive through near work, and even recognised the 10mph limit signs in the car park at work!

So I see some small improvements here. I wonder if the cameras need 10 minutes to 'learn' about road signs before displaying them, like a mini calibration. Will be interesting to see if the local road speed limit signs near home are recognised (because a lot of stretches of road have a different speed limit to the map data).

Overall, I still wish that activating TACC would activate at the current speed. There are far more scenarios where I wish for this to happen and would rather adjust my speed up from there, and I think it would be safer. Would even be better if you could activate TACC by pressing on the speedo to activate at that speed but, no, you have to press the stalk to invoke TACC then press the screen which is mental as far as I'm concerned. Who do they employ to dream up their user interface??!!

Can anyone think of any reason for Tesla to have designed TACC working the way it does?

EDIT: I use the word 'working' in its loosest sense!

First long drive using the latest traffic light/speed limit update this morning. It's made autopilot unusable on anything other than the motorway. Constantly picking up side road speed limits, set me to 10mph going through town rather than 30. Cut my speed to 20 in a 60 zone very abruptly after passing a side road. This is the first AP update that I've actually considered dangerous to be used day to day on normal roads.

I left for work half an hour early. I did a full reset before I set off. I don't have FSD. I haven't had the map update either - I wonder if Tesla have pulled this (like the one a few months ago) as some people have reported weirdness with speed limits set too low on some roads and the car slowing down stupidly as a result.

The first 10 minutes of my journey... no signs recognised and these are local roads.

Once I got about half way (I went via back roads rather than the dual carriageway today) it started recognising the road signs and changing the speed limit sign on the right of the 'dashboard' but didn't adjust the speed automatically either when TACC or Autopilot was switched on. Could adjust the speed by pressing the speed limit sign, and could adjust the speed by pressing the current speed, as advertised. It recognised a 20mph limit sign when I turned right into an estate I have to drive through near work, and even recognised the 10mph limit signs in the car park at work!

So I see some small improvements here. I wonder if the cameras need 10 minutes to 'learn' about road signs before displaying them, like a mini calibration. Will be interesting to see if the local road speed limit signs near home are recognised (because a lot of stretches of road have a different speed limit to the map data).

Overall, I still wish that activating TACC would activate at the current speed. There are far more scenarios where I wish for this to happen and would rather adjust my speed up from there, and I think it would be safer. Would even be better if you could activate TACC by pressing on the speedo to activate at that speed but, no, you have to press the stalk to invoke TACC then press the screen which is mental as far as I'm concerned. Who do they employ to dream up their user interface??!!

Can anyone think of any reason for Tesla to have designed TACC working the way it does?

EDIT: I use the word 'working' in its loosest sense!
It smacks of bad programming - it works this way so we’ll bolt this on.
Perhaps the rewrite will do it properly
The other scenario is perhaps down to cramming everything into two scroll wheels. It could still operate properly
I still think that a speed limiter that can be easily set is a major improvement still to be made.
Now that signs are seen, I would just add a software toggle - obey speed limits -on/off. Job done. I don’t do Twitter. Would someone like to tweet Elon and suggest it?

overall the new detection of speed limit changes is a big improvement from a 25 mile round trip today on very rural / local / B roads into town and then back out again.

the only issue I had was being on a 40 up to a roundabout where immediately it turns to a 60 if you stay straight, but I turned left where it's 40 again, but it had already decided 60 was correct, there is then a repeater 40 sign 200 metres further down and it correctly reset me to 40 limit info. 200 metres incorrect out of 25 miles.

So not flawless, but pretty good and noticeably faster on the limit changes. The pickup of speed sign objects is pretty impressive I would say, not having been through previous versions/updates.

Oh and an elderly chap on zebra crossing wearing white/grey head to toe was apparently a moving traffic cone. Lovely.

• Funny
Reactions: timpharrison
Oh and an elderly chap on zebra crossing wearing white/grey head to toe was apparently a moving traffic cone. Lovely.

That just reminded me. I think by this time we were back in dark screen mode.

We had just pulled up in a car park. The visualisation had not yet turned into top/plan mode. The vehicle in front was a van, so visualised taller than normal. The prominent windscreen was a white glow. Suddenly someone walked in front and this ghostly shadow moved across the visualisation of the van in front. It was both eerie and cool at the same time.

On a fundamental level I think it is a bad idea for something other than the accelerator to just decide to make the car go faster. If you’re significantly below the current limit, for whatever reason, it could have dire consequences.
I absolutely agree. That’s one reason I particularly want a speed limiter I can use rather than TACC.
My earlier post perhaps wasn’t specific enough. It should be available to toggle in normal driving mode and whilst on, recognise the current limit without action and prevent me from exceeding that limit. Like other limiters, the caveat would be if I floor it in an emergency.

Well, the TACC improvement is much better but I wish we could have the option of it engaging at the current speed by default like most other cars. I can see the speed limit signs but as I'm still waiting for the map update it doesn't automatically change the speed. I also don't seem to have the option to be alerted when near red lights so I assume this also needs the map update? One other thing I have noticed is that the throttle mapping seems to be more aggressive on slight presses in my M3P, not sure if anyone else has noticed this?

I'm rather glad TACC doesn't respond to speed limit changes today after I was using it on the way to work and someone had put a handmade 10mph sign in front of their driveway... which the Tesla saw and took as the main road now had a 10mph limit..

I found out why the main road through town now reads as 40.. it has picked it up from a road at the other side of the junction going in completely the opposite direction, which isn't even ambiguous. It needs to be a *lot* better at this.

YES. We have Chime On Green :)

Not sure when I may next have a chance to test, but sounds like chimes may be stuck in mute due to navigation directions settings. I'm not sure if below is relevant as I do have navigation directions but next time I am in car I will have a play.

Looks like the below may have some mileage. I changed setting whilst parked half way through the shortish drive. As my setting was already on, I toggled the mute button off and on.

Go into menu > navigation, and un-mute your navigation directions. With it un-muted, increase the volume. Then you can mute it again. Now you should hear the chimes.

OR... (because I made two changes :oops:) it might have been.

Whilst queuing, the little speaker sign was on the visualisation panel. It was not muted, but I toggled it off then off anyway. This speaker was recently toggled off in another profile and enabled on a later drive - so if this is a reason for it, there is a bug somewhere.

I don't have FSD. I notice the car now picks up speed signs but it doesn't seem very useful as it doesn't react to them. TACC carries on ah previous speed, it doesn't adjust cruise speed based on changed. If I turn it off and on again after a change it will I guess, but that seems a bit useless.

Am I missing something?

My experience so far (No FSD): TACC doesn't seem to change the speed down automatically, but AP does (and gives the warning message on the display). Never automatically changes the speed up. AP seems smoother generally, particularly the steering (less jerky), but position is still not what I would call optimal. It does as Roadcraft says and moves to the left of the lane at a right bend (to improve visibility around said bend) and conversely to the right on a left hand bend, but just a bit exaggerated in my book (either too close to the kerb or going over the centre line).

Would still prefer TACC to set to the current speed when activated.