Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[UK] 2022.24

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Crazy.

So with 24.6 if you engage AP, AHB gets turned on, you can then push left stalk forward to turn off AHB, but even than can’t turn on a full beam.

What I’m still not clear on is if it’s ever actually possible now on a 24.6 car to manually turn on a persistent full beam?

Please can someone clarify under what circumstances (if any) you can actually manually turn on a persistent full beam on 24.6.
Pushing the stalk forward doesn't turn off AHB, it turns off high beams entirely. You can turn high beams at will, as long as you don't use Autosteer. (I think you still can when using TACC but I'm not sure.)

It’s worth doing a search on the forum before starting a fresh thread on a topic in case it turns out to have been comprehensively covered already. ;)

I know what'll happen now you said that... Must soon be time for another thread on actual vs. displayed range.

Although thinking about it, little is said about battery degradation lately compared to say 2 years ago - so maybe the consensus was right to not worry about it.

I find it interesting how software changes (like this thread), bringing back features that were removed in v11 and new bugs are all taking center stage more than ever.

Pushing the stalk forward doesn't turn off AHB, it turns off high beams entirely. You can turn high beams at will, as long as you don't use Autosteer. (I think you still can when using TACC but I'm not sure.)
AHB doesn’t come on with TACC, only with AP.
I’ve found that engaging AP brings up headlight controls bottom right on the screen.
if you touch AHB it turns blue showing it’s on. Touch it again, it turns white and it’s now off properly, normal headlight control is resumed and it won’t change until AP has to be engaged again

Crazy.

So with 24.6 if you engage AP, AHB gets turned on, you can then push left stalk forward to turn off AHB, but even than can’t turn on a full beam.

What I’m still not clear on is if it’s ever actually possible now on a 24.6 car to manually turn on a persistent full beam?

Please can someone clarify under what circumstances (if any) you can actually manually turn on a persistent full beam on 24.6.
If you are driving on AutoPilot why would you be manually choosing highbeam? I'm not sure this scenario makes sense.

I suppose that if mirrors were 100%, there wouldn't be a blind spot.
The current position is often blocked by my left hand, so I'll be moving mine up and across.
What with this, the warning beeps and the red flashes with the teslogic app, i would venture that looking over the shoulder will be consigned to history..but we will all still do it.
With correctly adjusted mirrors, the look over the shoulder is mainly for vehicles 2 lanes across. Eg. you in lane 1 (or the joining slip lane, or lane 3) and another vehicle in lane 3 (or lane 2, or lane 1), then and you both moving into lane 2 (or lane 1) at the same time.

If you are driving on AutoPilot why would you be manually choosing highbeam? I'm not sure this scenario makes sense.
For example, driving down unlit motorway at night on AP, road bends to the right, layby on left with parked up trucks in it, high beam wanted to light up the potential hazard. On autoHB the rear reflectors on the truck may turn off high beam if it was even on to begin with.

(As an aside, the matrix lights on the ID3 were brilliant in situations like this - you could drive down the motorway in most situations with full beam on without dazzling anyone)

For example, driving down unlit motorway at night on AP, road bends to the right, layby on left with parked up trucks in it, high beam wanted to light up the potential hazard. On autoHB the rear reflectors on the truck may turn off high beam if it was even on to begin with.

(As an aside, the matrix lights on the ID3 were brilliant in situations like this - you could drive down the motorway in most situations with full beam on without dazzling anyone)
Motorways generally don't have laybys. Also in that scenario I really don't think you are doing the right think with high beams to dazzle any pedestrian that might be wandering around to be a hazard. Really the default behaviors sounds far better.

Have you ever done this? Seems contrived.

Motorways generally don't have laybys. Also in that scenario I really don't think you are doing the right think with high beams to dazzle any pedestrian that might be wandering around to be a hazard. Really the default behaviors sounds far better.

Have you ever done this? Seems contrived.
1662461368307.jpeg

I called it a lay-by as ‘emergency refuge area’ isn’t exactly common lexicon yet. Besides, dual carriageways (which for the purposes of what’s being discussed are very similar to motorways) do of course have lay-bys.

Personally, I’d rather risk dazzling a pedestrian near to a parked vehicle rather than risk not being able to clearly see them or possibly any debris/fluids etc possibly related to the need to use the ‘stopping area’.

View attachment 849433
I called it a lay-by as ‘emergency refuge area’ isn’t exactly common lexicon yet. Besides, dual carriageways (which for the purposes of what’s being discussed are very similar to motorways) do of course have lay-bys.

Personally, I’d rather risk dazzling a pedestrian near to a parked vehicle rather than risk not being able to clearly see them or possibly any debris/fluids etc possibly related to the need to use the ‘stopping area’.
You would be braking rule 114 of the highway code then, you are not meant to dazzle pedestrians. Your actions would make it far harder for them to understand where your car actually is and so increase their risk.

In this scenario you wouldn't first consider disabling AutoPilot ? This is what you do today is it? drive along under AutoPilot while manually changing the lights? You are contriving very many scenarios together.

1. Driving at night past broken down vehicles in a refuge area
2. Auto-headlights deciding to dip because they see a reflector
3. Refusing to take control from AutoPilot but wanting to manually change lighting
4. Only full beam revealing some problem that will cause an incident

lol. Common sense tells us the HC rule is about not deliberately dazzling pedestrians - otherwise you wouldn’t be permitted to ever use HB just in case there happened to be someone who might possibly be dazzled 🤣

Yes - have often driven up a dark A1 with AP active and then manually turned on high beam to increase the visibility of stopped vehicles - to be sure they are fully off the driving lane etc. Similarly with abandoned vehicles on hard shoulders.
I don’t understand why I’d want to turn off AP in that moment - yes cover the pedals and steering in case of an error - but if my attention is on assessing a potential hazard, that is a moment in which driver assistance is most beneficial.

AutoHB dipping when seeing rear reflectors is common - someone even referred to it earlier in this thread.

Common sense that more light is going to make it easier to assess a hazard in the dark 😂

There also seems to be a belief from some that AP should only be used on motorways, when in reality it can quite properly be used on monotonous single carriageway country roads - many of which increasingly now have fairly low speed limits - and which AP is more than capable of negotiating but where you can often need/want to flick between low and high beam.

Quite simply, I don’t want to have to choose between AP and having manual control of high beam, and I don’t think that’s particularly controversial..!

With correctly adjusted mirrors, the look over the shoulder is mainly for vehicles 2 lanes across. Eg. you in lane 1 (or the joining slip lane, or lane 3) and another vehicle in lane 3 (or lane 2, or lane 1), then and you both moving into lane 2 (or lane 1) at

With correctly adjusted mirrors, the look over the shoulder is mainly for vehicles 2 lanes across. Eg. you in lane 1 (or the joining slip lane, or lane 3) and another vehicle in lane 3 (or lane 2, or lane 1), then and you both moving into lane 2 (or lane 1) at the same time.

Mainly...
Why mainly?
In what instances, outside of your comments , would a glance over the shoulder be sensible?
My blind spot monitoring systems I've used over the past decade or more only monitor the adjacent lane, not the next one after...in addition and whilst I've only been driving a car for a shade under 39yrs it's the method that has served me well.
....but yes, I get your point.

Mainly...
Why mainly?
In what instances, outside of your comments , would a glance over the shoulder be sensible?
My blind spot monitoring systems I've used over the past decade or more only monitor the adjacent lane, not the next one after...in addition and whilst I've only been driving a car for a shade under 39yrs it's the method that has served me well.
....but yes, I get your point.
Like you I been driving a lot of years (53). My first car didn’t have a heater never mind all the aids we get now. Nothing beats mirror, signal, manoeuvre If done properly in a given situation.
As far as high beam goes. Auto isn’t fit for purpose yet. Like most things Tesla is does well some of the time…

Like you I been driving a lot of years (53). My first car didn’t have a heater never mind all the aids we get now. Nothing beats mirror, signal, manoeuvre If done properly in a given situation.
As far as high beam goes. Auto isn’t fit for purpose yet. Like most things Tesla is does well some of the time…
Weirdly, whilst MSM is tried , tested and trusted...I was also taught to have a quick glance over the shoulder, especially when setting off from a kerbside.
My last 6 cars , admittedly 3 were short termers, had auto high beam assist.
JLR's worked seamlessly...I have had no complaints with the Tesla system and no grief from oncoming traffic.