Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[UK] 2022.24

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
24.6 updated yesterday on my MX

1662362512590.png

Interesting discussion.
Yup, interesting, although I'm not sure how much I'm convinced by the suggestion that HW3 cars (so basically since the 3 came out) have got the wiring in place for HW4 and beyond upgrades in the future.

I hit a brick wall when trying to get my heated steering wheel to work in my MY20 car, because it transpired that the left body controller had changed and along with it the connectors and pinouts, meaning I would have had to have changed harnesses all over the place to try and get it to work. Apparently MCU3 (Ryzen) isn't retrofittable due to wiring changes. That's just two examples that spring to mind.

Also, while I like the concept that Wes put forward that FSD owners would be entitled to get these upgrades (how?) for free, and it was touched on by the other guy, but I can't conceive of a situation where Tesla isn't ploughing every available part into building new cars, rather than keeping it back for retrofits and/or spending time making boardsets for compatibility with older cars. Existing UK owners already suffer long delays - often longer than it would take to order and receive a whole new car - trying to get stuff as basic as windscreens or simple panels e.g. bumpers, etc.

Last edited:
Yup, interesting, although I'm not how much I'm convinced by the suggestion that HW3 cars (so basically since the 3 came out) have got the wiring in place for HW4 and beyond upgrades in the future.

I hit a brick wall when trying to get my heated steering wheel to work in my MY20 car, because it transpired that the left body controller had changed and along with it the connectors and pinouts, meaning I would have had to have changed harnesses all over the place to try and get it to work. Apparently MCU3 (Ryzen) isn't retrofittable due to wiring changes. That's just two examples that spring to mind.

Also, while I like the concept that Wes put forward that FSD owners would be entitled to get these upgrades (how?) for free, and it was touched on by the other guy, but I can't conceive of a situation where Tesla isn't ploughing every available part into building new cars, rather than keeping it back for retrofits and/or spending time making boardsets for compatibility with older cars. Existing UK owners already suffer long delays - often longer than it would take to order and receive a whole new car - trying to get stuff as basic as windscreens or simple panels e.g. bumpers, etc.
I agree. Though at least in the U.K. our selling laws shouldn’t leave us high and dry.
And there was the small inference on camera placement. One might argue that the wing camera should be further forward.

Next time I drive on AP and my wife is with me, I’ll get her to take photos of the two different steering wheel nags. I’m intrigued by them.

I also can’t understand the total lack of visualisation of oncoming vehicles. Not complaining. They are just a distraction. But I do get cones and wheelie bins 😂

I have another decent run on Wednesday. I’ll see what that throws up

Reactions: Durzel
My Vision only car doesn't show oncoming traffic, never has. I' currently in a loaner while mine is at Tesla (for a cooling issue with the AP computer) and I would also say that this non-vision car is more consistent at showing arrows on lanes. I assume this is all just a factor about how the data flows to the visualization as that's definitely not something that is coming from radar.

I would suggest this is also all a step towards 'fusion' where we will see the new FSD logic applied to motorway driving, I assume FSD is all vision based rather than using radar.

That's weird, I have always seen oncoming traffic, although I wouldn't say it has been particularly consistent. Some drives it shows pretty much everything, other drives it seems to miss every other car.

I guess it's one of those things where if that visualisation wasn't there you wouldn't be any the wiser about what the car is or isn't seeing, and it's not as if it would stop you steering right into one of those cars anyway. So long as the car is keeping itself in the lane then it's really the traffic (and other stuff) ahead that is relevant.

That's weird, I have always seen oncoming traffic, although I wouldn't say it has been particularly consistent. Some drives it shows pretty much everything, other drives it seems to miss every other car.

I guess it's one of those things where if that visualisation wasn't there you wouldn't be any the wiser about what the car is or isn't seeing, and it's not as if it would stop you steering right into one of those cars anyway. So long as the car is keeping itself in the lane then it's really the traffic (and other stuff) ahead that is relevant.
It’s not exactly reassuring though is it - if it now doesn’t show cars to your front right (in the UK) coming toward you, does that also mean it may be less ‘reliable’ at showing cars coming towards you from your rear right - ie is any potential blind spot double-checking utility of the visualisation now nullified?

It’s not exactly reassuring though is it - if it now doesn’t show cars to your front right (in the UK) coming toward you, does that also mean it may be less ‘reliable’ at showing cars coming towards you from your rear right - ie is any potential blind spot double-checking utility of the visualisation now nullified?
Give it up BillN, it now consistently doesn't show oncoming traffic, before vision it would show less than 50% of oncoming traffic. This is nothing to do with traffic heading in your direction. Radar was forward facing, it's always been purely vision for cars to the back and sides.

Give it up BillN, it now consistently doesn't show oncoming traffic, before vision it would show less than 50% of oncoming traffic. This is nothing to do with traffic heading in your direction. Radar was forward facing, it's always been purely vision for cars to the back and sides.
Give what up?

Regardless of radar or camera or ultrasonic sensors or whatever, if the change is primarily down to what the software decides to show (rather than what the software knows is there) does it still reliably show an overtaking car?

It was a question.

I was seeing the same
My suspicion is that all oncoming vehicles are ‘seen’ but only visualised if they are a potential hazard.
a car pull out from a side road way ahead and turned right into the oncoming lane. Car visualised in my path and once in the other lane it disappeared.
it hasn’t happened yet but I’ll watch what it does if a car overtakes oncoming traffic in my lane

Reactions: BillN