Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[UK] 2022.24

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In what instances, outside of your comments , would a glance over the shoulder be sensible?
Exiting roundabouts, for example.

I think we’re in agreement - ‘blind spot’ monitoring systems only really serve to check for approaching vehicles in lanes immediately adjacent to your car, so however good current systems are (Tesla’s is not good, IME) and however many ways they have of telling you about what they detect, shoulder checks are still recommended. The view given by the Tesla blind spot cameras are a nice double check perhaps - but I would definitely not yet rely on the warning alert to be able to judge whether a car two lanes over may be about to move into a space I’m thinking of occupying.

Reactions: DaveNN
Weirdly, whilst MSM is tried , tested and trusted...I was also taught to have a quick glance over the shoulder, especially when setting off from a kerbside.
My last 6 cars , admittedly 3 were short termers, had auto high beam assist.
JLR's worked seamlessly...I have had no complaints with the Tesla system and no grief from oncoming traffic.
Yes, it’s odd. I have no issue with auto wipers but many have. For AHB there some very reflective road signs hereabouts. Maybe street light spacing. Who knows. My test wasn’t exhaustive but the results were in line with those I got when they were first available. I just found manual more reliable.

Exiting roundabouts, for example.

I think we’re in agreement - ‘blind spot’ monitoring systems only really serve to check for approaching vehicles in lanes immediately adjacent to your car, so however good current systems are (Tesla’s is not good, IME) and however many ways they have of telling you about what they detect, shoulder checks are still recommended. The view given by the Tesla blind spot cameras are a nice double check perhaps - but I would definitely not yet rely on the warning alert to be able to judge whether a car two lanes over may be about to move into a space I’m thinking of occupying.
Yep
We are both pushing against an open door.

Yes, it’s odd. I have no issue with auto wipers but many have. For AHB there some very reflective road signs hereabouts. Maybe street light spacing. Who knows. My test wasn’t exhaustive but the results were in line with those I got when they were first available. I just found manual more reliable.
I have an unsubstantiated theory that the auto wipers are less effective if you use a windscreen treatment like Gtech G1 or other glass coatings applied alongside ceramic coatings. I used to have the wrong speed often , but since a new windscreen (back when that was a thing) and not reapplying it's been better. With my new car I coat all the glass apart from the windscreen.

Given the tendency of people on here to do coatings perhaps there is some correlation in some cases.

It's been a while but lots of rain on a dark night seems to be a problem area as well, folks who live away from civilisation probably experience this more than others.

Reactions: KennethS
I have an unsubstantiated theory that the auto wipers are less effective if you use a windscreen treatment like Gtech G1 or other glass coatings applied alongside ceramic coatings. I used to have the wrong speed often , but since a new windscreen (back when that was a thing) and not reapplying it's been better. With my new car I coat all the glass apart from the windscreen.

Given the tendency of people on here to do coatings perhaps there is some correlation in some cases.

It's been a while but lots of rain on a dark night seems to be a problem area as well, folks who live away from civilisation probably experience this more than others.
I found that my wipers behaved better after I applied a coating (H2Go). My reasoning - in another post somewhere, I'll dig it out - was that it made the raindrops 'sharper' and easier to see on the camera. I have seen reports of momentary streaking on the windscreen with G1 though. Different products may behave differently I suppose.

Edit:
Ha! we've had this conversation before :) Glass coating result

Reactions: goRt
I found that my wipers behaved better after I applied a coating (H2Go). My reasoning - in another post somewhere, I'll dig it out - was that it made the raindrops 'sharper' and easier to see on the camera. I have seen reports of momentary streaking on the windscreen with G1 though. Different products may behave differently I suppose.

Edit:
Ha! we've had this conversation before :) Glass coating result
Personally, I believe my auto wipers work really well. The car is ceramic coated, however I did ask the chap to avoid coating the area in front of the camera as I’d read about issues when this has been done. Though, I haven’t checked to see whether he remembered this…

In response to why you'd need manual high beams instead of autoHB when using autopilot (TACC + autosteer)..

One of my drives home has a poorly lit dual carriageway A road, now more noticeable as it gets darker in the evenings.

AutoHB seems to get spooked by a few road signs that appear when going round bends (so they "appear" in vision light a car headlights would), or stays on too long when people are all the way across the other side of the carriageway and will slightly blind them for an extra 2-3s.

There's quite a few sections of the road where I can't see very much if high beams are off & there's not another car, which makes me nervous about what the car can actually see. I've slightly accepted to be a bastard and blind people for the extra few seconds though..

Having to go to the screen to manually turn back on high beams isn't really feasible (for me at least) when you want to be looking at the road ahead.

Obviously this is all caveated with the fact 1) pull back and hold on left stalk to engage high beams, 2) turn off autosteer and then you can engage high beams 3) do what someone said to disable autoHB on the screen (although I haven't figured this out myself yet).

I do still think for my peace of mind when the car can't figure out high beams / is having a moment, having the ability to manually turn on (as an option) is good, given the current working state of the tech

Reactions: BillN
Tesla just called me to confirm that there was nothing they could do about the fact I was on the 24.6 (radar deleted) stream vs the 24.5 (radar still works) one. I suspect there could be something they could do, "off menu", but weren't prepared to take it any further.

Bit annoying really, but was the outcome I was expecting. I'm still on 2022.20.8 and will probably stay on it for the moment.

Starting to see more stuff like this now:

1662569209888.png

Tbh, I think I’ll probably end up installing it when offered as I’ll find work arounds (with or without third party stuff), and I’ll feel like I want to have hands on understanding of the behaviour, particularly as some of the reports and findings from others seem to be so contradictory half the time!

Last edited:
Reactions: Sir Surfalot
The only glass half full way I can look at this is that if enough people complain it might spur Tesla on to actually get auto high beam working properly.

Even that seems wildly optimistic though, as all the energy seems to be directed towards FSD beta in the States, and getting new owners into cars before they have too much time on their hands to find out about this sort of stuff.

Reactions: BillN
The only glass half full way I can look at this is that if enough people complain it might spur Tesla on to actually get auto high beam working properly.

Even that seems wildly optimistic though, as all the energy seems to be directed towards FSD beta in the States, and getting new owners into cars before they have too much time on their hands to find out about this sort of stuff.
Yeah - I’m already having second thoughts again now.

Maybe best to let everyone else take the hit.