Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[UK] 2022.40

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Updated to 40.4.1 on Wednesday and did a pretty rubbish 100+ mile drive home in the dark and extremely heavy rain.

Tesla vision performed as well as could be expected really. I’m not sure how radar or LiDAR would have helped in reality.

I echo the comments about auto high beam, much better to the point I actually turned it on when I wasn’t on AP! It performed really well on 2 lane roads, dual carriageways with a high median were not perfect but much much better than before and I didn’t feel the need to turn it off manually.

I get the point about them coming on in lit areas but on a normal dual cartridge way it’s not really an issue. I’m not sure AP is appropriate for other kinds of roads at the moment.

Auto wiper, worked great but then to be fair, I’ve never really had any complaints about them.

I did have a couple of AP speed reductions where it could no longer see and in fairness, I could hardly see either (when passing HGVs due to all the spray). The lines and cats eyes were really poor, they just disappeared in places under all the water. Frankly it was debatable as to whether I should have even been doing 60mph at times.

The long range identification of cars is a lot better in my limited experience of 40.4.1. It will turn AHB off when it spots a car 1/4 mile down the road - which is good, and mirrors the behaviour of a 10-year old Audi I have access to.

It is still a bit too slow to turn off in the face of oncoming cars, perhaps 1 second or so, but I haven't been flashed yet.

I do wish it had a bit of "memory" - I was following a car around twisty lanes and AHB was coming on and going off, even though the car in front didn't have anywhere to turn off so was always going to end up in front of me once I rounded the corner. That's a bit of a minor gripe though.

It still turns off at reflections from road signs, and comes on in towns and villages with street lights, which makes no sense at all.

No speed limit in highway?

Attachments

• 20221116_180828.jpg
    20221116_180828.jpg
    207.1 KB · Views: 95
The long range identification of cars is a lot better in my limited experience of 40.4.1. It will turn AHB off when it spots a car 1/4 mile down the road - which is good, and mirrors the behaviour of a 10-year old Audi I have access to.

It is still a bit too slow to turn off in the face of oncoming cars, perhaps 1 second or so, but I haven't been flashed yet.

I do wish it had a bit of "memory" - I was following a car around twisty lanes and AHB was coming on and going off, even though the car in front didn't have anywhere to turn off so was always going to end up in front of me once I rounded the corner. That's a bit of a minor gripe though.

It still turns off at reflections from road signs, and comes on in towns and villages with street lights, which makes no sense at all.
My experience mirrors yours. It’s certainly a lot better than it was. The dipping for oncoming cars was certainly acceptable. A couple of seconds quicker to come back up would be good. Corner chevrons still fool it.

I had the update to 40.1 (from 36.x) last night. Bit of a run out today in awful weather and if anything the wipers were too slow/laid back meaning 'user intervention' needed from time to time. Better that though than frantically scrauping the screen as they did a while ago.

With rollout to standard release cars everything was (speculatively) beginning to align nicely as a precursor to a xmas/holiday release of single stack but looks like there are still a few lose ends needing to be resolved. It wouldn't have surprised me if some of the .40.x perceived improvements were coming partly from single stack and fsd beta technology (not functional) changes running below deck, but sounds like they aren't as radical as one would hope that ss/fsdb would bring to the party, so hopefully if single stack/fsd beta technology is lurking in the background, its fully turned off.

No speed limit in highway?
At least one person has fixed this by changing the language to something else and then changing it back again. Some have seen no difference, but it only takes a few minutes to try:

Sentry mode decided to turn itself on at home after getting .40 and spent the night being triggered by….. nothing. Got in the car in the morning with 10% less juice in the battery and 621 sentry events!

Had to plug the usb into my desktop to view/delete them as the car just wasn’t having it. Assume it has a limit on how many videos it can list 😆

Almost exclusively driving in the dark at the moment and following 40.4.1 last last week the HBA are amazing! As good as anything I’ve had before and I didn’t intervene at all this evening - first time in the nearly year I’ve had it!

Randomly had this when I got out too - I’ve used the light shows before but not for a long time 🤷🏼‍♂️
EC5A5A2E-711E-4DF8-9652-24D64D213D6A.jpeg

Reactions: init6
I’ve definitely seen an improvement in AHB, to the point I now leave them on 24/7. They still have a tendency to unnecessarily come on in well lit areas, however they don’t seem to blind oncoming users in the way they did before. They’ve definitely been whipping the AHB developer.

Now they just need to sort out the active matrix AHBs and they’ll be on a par with their competition!

I’ve definitely seen an improvement in AHB, to the point I now leave them on 24/7. They still have a tendency to unnecessarily come on in well lit areas, however they don’t seem to blind oncoming users in the way they did before. They’ve definitely been whipping the AHB developer.

Now they just need to sort out the active matrix AHBs and they’ll be on a par with their competition!
Exactly - activate the matrix

The one place I have noticed AHB fall down is roundabouts.

As there is no traffic in front of the car, it has a tendency to whack high beams on but it can’t see the cars coming round which it will blind for a split second.

If they can figure out them not coming on in area lot by street lighting, that will mostly be resolved I think.

Reactions: Cardo