Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UK 2022 Orders to Delivery inc the shipping thread for posts with no shipping news

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks.

YES - the V5 will arrive in the post. I expect a week or two - which is normally ok but I'm fussing over driving to France last-minute now (ok ok - an excuse to drive the MY!!!....) as BA has cancelled our return flight...

How it works - easy: it's immediate (I've done it before). You go onto the DVLA site, and just reassign/ assign your private plate (you'll need your COE of your private plate and new V5) - this is done immediately!!... Then you (in my case, Admiral) go to your insurer's portal (site/ app) and change your registration plate (£10??)... all done on the desktop, no need to wait for anything. Now you can go outside and swap the number plates (I've got mine for the Tesla already; so - you can/ should order yours in advance)... new-new V5 with your new reg will arrive in a week, but in the meantime, don't think you need that anyway for driving as that document is kept at home and really only used for transfers...

'Slight Slight' complication on mine (maybe someone here can advice). I've got my personal plate on my current car - keeping car, not trading in. SO - instead of doing it as two-steps (removing plate off old car this week), I've decided to wait for the Tesla, then do it in one go with the DVLA -> MOVING plates from one car to another car (as opposed to moving personal plate to retention, then from retention to Tesla) - hope this makes sense???? My 'goal' is that this way (car -to- car), I don't have to pay DVLA twice????? Looking for advice here.

WORSE CASE of course - drive the '22' plate to France, deal with the number plate swap when I get back.... better plan I think: because I'll need to request for a Green Card... and will run out of time....
Good plan. Also don't forget we have to have a UK sticker... GB won't do.

I told Nan' who became quite animated:

" F..king liberty.... what 'appened to egality and f..king fraternity.... " She blames Boris and Putin for each and every world problem. Hard to disagree.

Technically you would need to wait for the 'new new' V5 to arrive by post so you can have it before driving off to France in case you are stopped there. - You are supposed to carry it with you when driving abroad -

So I guess the safest option would probably to do the transfer afterwards.
you're right. I photo-copied my V5 when I drove there last year. Yes, you are 'supposed' to have that 'ownership' document (even though the V5 specifically states otherwise in BOLD!! hahahahahah). Looks like, drive with '22' plate first...

and ULEZ 🤔.
and therein lies an ISSUE!!!....

1. Yes, I want to have my own number plate before applying for C-Charge exemption; so technically will not be able to drive into Central London (for free) for at least a month plus????
1.1. Don't want to risk getting the exemption with '22' plate, then apply to change reg - (i) Sadiq will probably charge me £20 for the change; (ii) will take another month of waiting; (iii) systems will not be updated and I'll get a penalty notice in the post; (iv) I'll have to PAY EXTRA to defend myself against TFL/ Sadiq???

2. ULEZ is fine - you don't have to do anything; your '22' plate CLEARLY CLEARLY qualifies...
2.1. Back to MY PROBLEM: once I put my personal plate on... which is currently in a non-ULEZ qualifying diesel.... I think I'll have SOME FLIGHT with Sadiq again.... like... mmmhhhh... when will the personal plate be reflected in THEIR (the esteemed TFL) system (worse - in a contracted company) such that it will be linked to a Tesla and NOT my old Diesel.....

FIRST WORLD Problems!!!!....

ULEZ is automatic as you are compliant so no need there, I don't get how they can query ULEZ compliance from DVLA automatically but for some reason, need manual application for CC-exempt...
Probably something to do with the £12.50 annual admin fee :D
Adding to my post....

Was thinking - but, you see, the '22' plate will NOT be updated in the super-computer that is TFL's 'systems' - yes in DVLA, but how long does it take to get to TFL's contracted company??... so... if you drive the new car into the ULEZ zone from delivery.... I wonder.....

Then again, there MUST BE people that have got their Tesla's delivered into the C-Charge zone on day-1 anyway??!!!... if anyone is in that bucket - would you please care to comment???

Thanks!!

Sorry guys not exactly delivery question. I’m getting my car in August-September and going for partial ppf and ceramic coating. What is the popular issue with sensors and what should I ask my installer to be aware of?
So, only the front sensors are an issue for you.
The PPF guys have choice, either use template cut sheets with the holes pre cut. This method requires care to line up the sensor holes on a part of the car where PPF "stretching" is required or a plain sheet and there are holes to be cut with great care.
There are excellent YouTube vids on this and just about any imaginable PPF or Tesla or or or.
It's brilliant... it has gifted me with so many things if which, previously unaware, I can now worry about. Just ask your man his method.

Reactions: Minimalist300

1. Yes, I want to have my own number plate before applying for C-Charge exemption; so technically will not be able to drive into Central London (for free) for at least a month plus????
1.1. Don't want to risk getting the exemption with '22' plate, then apply to change reg - (i) Sadiq will probably charge me £20 for the change; (ii) will take another month of waiting; (iii) systems will not be updated and I'll get a penalty notice in the post; (iv) I'll have to PAY EXTRA to defend myself against TFL/ Sadiq???

2. ULEZ is fine - you don't have to do anything; your '22' plate CLEARLY CLEARLY qualifies...
2.1. Back to MY PROBLEM: once I put my personal plate on... which is currently in a non-ULEZ qualifying diesel.... I think I'll have SOME FLIGHT with Sadiq again.... like... mmmhhhh... when will the personal plate be reflected in THEIR (the esteemed TFL) system (worse - in a contracted company) such that it will be linked to a Tesla and NOT my old Diesel.....

Would be worth to check how fast DVLA can update.
Once you have made your reg transfer head on to https://vehicleenquiry.service.gov.uk and type in your personalised plate.
If it returns Tesla as make and model immediately afterwards I would say you are good on the ULEZ front and won't receive a fine. Or at least will have serious grounds to challenge any :D
As for CC-exempt, indeed unless you want to pay the one-off fee twice.... no Central London for you until you make the switch. Otherwise it's only 10 quid!

Last edited:
Good plan. Also don't forget we have to have a UK sticker... GB won't do.

I told Nan' who became quite animated:

" F..king liberty.... what 'appened to egality and f..king fraternity.... " She blames Boris and Putin for each and every world problem. Hard to disagree.
Yet another different topic here... maybe not delivery related, but I think it is as well - as us new owners will want to take our toy for a DRIVE (do you see the super charger network in France?? it's awesome!!!)....

I've ordered a plate (for my personal reg) with one that says UK. Like the old EU one, but instead of the EU 'flag', I've got the Union Jack and instead of GB, it now reads UK.....

LEGALLY - I'm not sure.... have I 'displayed' UK???... YES I HAVE....

[EDIT] and with hardly any bulbs in the Tesla that can be replaced on-the-road, the 'spare bulbs kit' is out right???? or carry my OLD one and show that to the cops?? LOL

Ah ha! Thank you for that clarification and good luck for a solution to your conumdrum...
....as you indicate, we are beset by FWP....
...., a small price to pay for our FW privileges.
🤔😀

Would be worth to check how fast DVLA can update.
Once you have made your reg transfer head on to https://vehicleenquiry.service.gov.uk and type in your personalised plate.
If it returns Tesla as make and model immediately afterwards I would say you are good on the ULEZ front and won't receive a fine. Or at least will have a serious grounds to challenge any :D
As for CC-exempt, indeed unless you want to pay the one-off fee twice.... no Central London for you until you make the switch. Otherwise it's only 10 quid!
THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!!!!

Adding to my post....

Was thinking - but, you see, the '22' plate will NOT be updated in the super-computer that is TFL's 'systems' - yes in DVLA, but how long does it take to get to TFL's contracted company??... so... if you drive the new car into the ULEZ zone from delivery.... I wonder.....

Then again, there MUST BE people that have got their Tesla's delivered into the C-Charge zone on day-1 anyway??!!!... if anyone is in that bucket - would you please care to comment???

Thanks!!
I don't know for certain but I would imagine that TfL systems are querying DVLA database, hopefully with a daily update if not real-time.
As for people getting deliveries, if the car is getting flashed on a lorry I surely hope that doesn't count :D. Then I'd advise to stay put until you've applied... or pay the CC for the first few days...

Reactions: Wattsisname
I don't know for certain but I would imagine that TfL systems are querying DVLA database, hopefully with a daily update if not real-time.
As for people getting deliveries, if the car is getting flashed on a lorry I surely hope that doesn't count :D. Then I'd advise to stay put until you've applied... or pay the CC for the first few days...
SORRY to be turning this into a TFL/ London discussion......

.. but it also applies to all these Clean-Air zones now too!!!!!... surely there are owners here that live in those areas.....

Yet another different topic here... maybe not delivery related, but I think it is as well - as us new owners will want to take our toy for a DRIVE (do you see the super charger network in France?? it's awesome!!!)....

I've ordered a plate (for my personal reg) with one that says UK. Like the old EU one, but instead of the EU 'flag', I've got the Union Jack and instead of GB, it now reads UK.....

LEGALLY - I'm not sure.... have I 'displayed' UK???... YES I HAVE....

[EDIT] and with hardly any bulbs in the Tesla that can be replaced on-the-road, the 'spare bulbs kit' is out right???? or carry my OLD one and show that to the cops?? LOL
Must have UK on the back. Les Gendarmes;
Les is not the fun guy he was pre Brexit and current recession. His boss, Pres de la Republic, is keen to maximise revenue so, Les will be on the ball ( of his feet saying " Now then Mon Sewer Brexit Anglais...."

So, a loathsome bit of papier on myMy'd rear🥲

Yeah, I guess someone could be caught in the odd automated FPN situation upon getting their brand new car delivered while they are in the process of registering it locally.

But I guess common sense should prevail and I assume getting out of a Clean-Air zone FPN when Make and Model will say 'TESLA' shouldn't be too difficult to challenge and successfully get turned over...

I get mine next week. I've heard they don't register the car until the pickup day, so you won't get the V5 on the day, it will be a while.
I've got a private plate to go on as well. I'm not sure how it works,because you sort out the plate online. Perhaps as long as the car is registered, you may be able to do it online and send in the retention 🤔
V5s are currently taking a week to arrive. You cannot put a private plate on until it arrives as you need the document reference number, there is no other way.

Yeah, I guess someone could be caught in the odd automated FPN situation upon getting their brand new car delivered while they are in the process of registering it locally.

But I guess common sense should prevail and I assume getting out of a Clean-Air zone FPN when Make and Model will say 'TESLA' shouldn't be too difficult to challenge and successfully get turned over...
We can look back on this as a golden age when common sense was widely exercised in positions of authority..... Right!
To be fair to those good people, it's more often a case of "Computer says NO!

Rather like guests at a Downing Street party, little choice because their hands were tied.

Last edited: