Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UK 2022 Orders to Delivery inc the shipping thread for posts with no shipping news

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is a question for anyone lucky enough to already have their Tesla.. :)
Could anyone please give some dimensions of the mobile connector box (Bit with LEDs on it) + Initial Thick Cable?

Unfortunately I live a new build house which has a detached garage with no power.
So I will be running a wire through my garage shortly so I can at least slow charge my Tesla using the mobile connector. (Better than nothing)
The wire will come out from my garage door by about 1 meter where there will be an RCD socket with the tesla charger plugged in.

So I need a lockable waterproof box big enough to encase an RCD socket + mobile connector + thick wire (Bit that plugs into house socket).
But I do not know what size to get.

Thanks in advance to anyone who gives me the dimensions!

Kind Regards.
Hi Vengy,

Looks like a lot of answers but, wonder if this helps... nice to have a 'smoking gun' sometimes... Yell if..

1656233124814.jpeg

1656233156599.jpeg

1656233198180.jpeg

PS sorry if I misunderstood the question.... 🤫

If you are relying mainly on charging from home and see yourself there for the foreseeable, give some thought to going the full way and install a home charger in garage or wherever you find convenient. it will cost some money but will charge 3 times as fast as a 3 pin plug and be safer. Just a thought
I would if I could, but as mentioned in a previous post, my garage is detached and has no power in it.

The wall chargers require a direct connection to your fuse box which is 20 meters away from my garage.

12 gauge, where has this cable come from? What‘s the cross sections area of the conductors?

You shouldn’t terminate SWA cable into a 3 pin plug if that is what you are suggesting.
I got it from b&q.

It's prismatic , 4mm 40a 3 core single phase armoured cable.

Each wire has 7 thick ish strands of solid copper.

Essentially it's an outdoor extension cable with a higher rating.

Looking at it now, I'm confident it's not 12 gauge but it's quality wire.

I got it from b&q.

It's prismatic , 4mm 40a 3 core single phase armoured cable.

Each wire has 7 thick ish strands of solid copper.

Essentially it's an outdoor extension cable with a higher rating.

Looking at it now, I'm confident it's not 12 gauge but it's quality wire.
would a meter box be no good??

The distance is no problem. If you can get a route to the fuse box - put an armoured cable straight out to the garage (6mm or 10mm) and consider a wall charger. It will be well worth it..
The garage is detached from my house meaning there are 2 footpaths between my garage and my house.

So I would need planning permission to lay such a cable to carry 60a.

would a meter box be no good??

Wow, never thought of that.
I think I have a winner.. this would be perfect.

Thank you.

Reactions: MikeyM and Mr H
Made me ponder use of transporters:

Southampton-Bluewater (Google maps, in a car) 1h41m (Bristol is the same)

Southampton-Staines 1h01m

1 hour load, 1 hours unload, 8 hours shift - that changes the deliveries-per-shift from 1.5 to 2 ...

... and I expect that the access to Staines (looks a complete dump. in the middle of nowhere, on StreetView) is easier / quicker than Bluewater.
Bristol has s 1hr 14 I believe

Reactions: WannabeOwner
This is a question for anyone lucky enough to already have their Tesla.. :)
Could anyone please give some dimensions of the mobile connector box (Bit with LEDs on it) + Initial Thick Cable?

Unfortunately I live a new build house which has a detached garage with no power.
So I will be running a wire through my garage shortly so I can at least slow charge my Tesla using the mobile connector. (Better than nothing)
The wire will come out from my garage door by about 1 meter where there will be an RCD socket with the tesla charger plugged in.

So I need a lockable waterproof box big enough to encase an RCD socket + mobile connector + thick wire (Bit that plugs into house socket).
But I do not know what size to get.

Thanks in advance to anyone who gives me the dimensions!

Kind Regards.
Hi, it’s not really a safe solution. Even with an RCD. All EVs should be protected by an PEN fault protection device.

The charging speed is irrelevant. The car could be “live” at 75v ac or more. And as I said even a small current of 100mV can be fatal.
Its up to you to choose not to worry about that. But I would not be happy to have the potential for somebody to receive a fatal shock just by touching my vehicle. PEN issues are very rare but cause serious injuries every year in U.K.

Reactions: Wattsisname
I don't see where it suggests that?

The Tesla mobile charger is around 2.5kw
The charging speed is irrelevant. The car could be “live” at 75v ac or more. And as I said even a small current of 100mV can be fatal.
Its up to you to choose not to worry about that. But I would not be happy to have the potential for somebody to receive a fatal shock just by touching my vehicle. PEN issues are very rare but cause serious injuries every year in U.K.

Obviously I don't fully understand as I'm no electrician, but are you saying that the mobile connector that comes with a Tesla shouldn't be used because of possible shock risk?

Why would they provide you with one of this is the case?

Or are you saying the extension is the problem?
If so, what's the difference?

(Honestly, I'm not arguing here - I'm simply trying to understand)

Reactions: Toblerone