Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UK 2022 Orders to Delivery inc the shipping thread for posts with no shipping news

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think the argument now, in these inflationary times, is for replacement vehicle gap. I always went for this anyway, as one never knew if that 25% discount would be repeatable etc.

But in the case of a 2022 MY LR. Let’s say list £60k. And a hypothetical write off in 2025 with an insurance value given of £50k. But inflation means the 2025 MY LR is now £75k list. There’s your argument for replacement vehicle GAP.

Which now means…what’s your view on inflation and the supplied/demand balance in the EV automotive sector in 2025? As with any insurance, a judgement call.

I’m undecided on GAP right now. Inflation forecasts are going to be realigned with the energy price cap announcement.
That's actually a very good argument. There is every chance Tesla will continue increasing prices in line with inflation and due to troubles sourcing raw materials. It's difficult to predict these things, but based on current trends, when Tesla has raised the price of new vehicles, the price of used vehicles has also increased. If demand continues to outstrip supply, we may see Tesla appreciation as a norm, at least in the short term.

That said, GAP insurance is typically very affordable. For a (relatively) small payment, you get a lot of peace of mind.

Reactions: MashinBenzin
That's actually a very good argument. There is every chance Tesla will continue increasing prices in line with inflation and due to troubles sourcing raw materials. It's difficult to predict these things, but based on current trends, when Tesla has raised the price of new vehicles, the price of used vehicles has also increased. If demand continues to outstrip supply, we may see Tesla appreciation as a norm, at least in the short term.

That said, GAP insurance is typically very affordable. For a (relatively) small payment, you get a lot of peace of mind.
I just checked my policy with Admiral and if within first 12 months of ownership the car is written off they will replace with a new car. So GAP insurance not needed ( at least for the first year).

So worth checking your policies before deciding as according to MSE most policies provide new replacement for at least the first 12 months.

UPDATE: I just ran a quote for a one year old car for 3 years GAP insurance with Ala using MSE 25% code and it came in at £472. Then ran a quote for 4 years cover from new with same discount and it came in at £352.

So even though I wouldn't need it in year 1 it is £120 cheaper to buy a 4 year policy from new than a 3 year policy at 1 year old 🤔

Last edited:
I ordered my MY on 28th May and for several weeks it said EDD of 23-30th Sept. It moved back 8 days ago to 1st Nov to 8th Dec. I have not had anything saying about collection so Do you think I have missed out on a Q3 sept DW livery now? Seems like it to me. When do we think the next batch of UK deliveries might be? Many thanks Stuart

• Disagree
Reactions: James7C2
I ordered my MY on 28th May and for several weeks it said EDD of 23-30th Sept. It moved back 8 days ago to 1st Nov to 8th Dec. I have not had anything saying about collection so Do you think I have missed out on a Q3 sept DW livery now? Seems like it to me. When do we think the next batch of UK deliveries might be? Many thanks Stuart
You’re very unlikely to get a vehicle in Q3.

You could reasonably expect a vehicle in November.

I just checked my policy with Admiral and if within first 12 months of ownership the car is written off they will replace with a new car. So GAP insurance not needed ( at least for the first year).

So worth checking your policies before deciding as according to MSE most policies provide new replacement for at least the first 12 months.

UPDATE: I just ran a quote for a one year old car for 3 years GAP insurance with Ala using MSE 25% code and it came in at £472. Then ran a quote for 4 years cover from new with same discount and it came in at £352.

So even though I wouldn't need it in year 1 it is £120 cheaper to buy a 4 year policy from new than a 3 year policy at 1 year old 🤔
Not sure about ALA specifically but from what I’ve seen you can usually only buy gap insurance within the first 30 days of ownership for your “new to you” car (ie. If second hand, you can still get the cover).

Willing to be wrong however!

I check it every 10mins and regularly curse that it's not going as fast as others on the tracker 🤣 COME ON SUNRISE!!!🤣
@Fezza I just checked on Sunrise and noticed she is steaming along at 18.2kn - thought you should be informed immediately!

1662671560324.png

Reactions: Valentin1605
On GAP and age of car…

I had a 2019 Discovery with a 4 year GAP policy. I rejected it in Jan 2020 and ran it until the replacement Discovery arrived in July 2020.

Around March 2021, I thought “oh *sugar*, GAP”. Phoned the provider, Frank Pickles. They were awesome in refunding 3 of my 4 years policy, backdating to the previous July when I’d handed the car back. But they could not get underwriting for the replacement as it was over 6 months old by now. So I never had GAP on the second Discovery, which I sold in May this year.

They all come with front mud flaps and PPF in front of rear arches.
Not sure they all come with a lady in the passenger seat though @HowieR 😀

Although to be fair, we are making a day of it when we go to Trafford to collect!
Well spotted 😀. The front seat passenger is an optional extra. However, well worth the exorbitant cost when needing a driver after a night out.

bit of a random one, and and apologies if its been asked before, how do you know what ship your car is on?
First it was my suspicion due to timing when I received hidden VIN (and 7 months of obsessing and finding a was how to actually know when the car will come :)), last week the SA also told me that it should be on Glovis Crystal (also MR M prediction was that Glovis Crystal is going to Koper), and the last (and probably most reliable) is the fact that Glovis Crystal is on the scheduled arrivals of the Koper port.

Reactions: gherkin12
bit of a random one, and and apologies if its been asked before, how do you know what ship your car is on?
Officially you don’t.
However, you can read MrM’s daily reports on this thread (or keep an eye on Shanghai docks via YouTube & Vesselfinder).

Then a few days after a ship leaves Shanghai, hidden VINs are issued and reported here (or in the general threads). Then you know probably where the ship is headed.

Well it will appear as if the Mobile Connecter (granny charger) will no longer be included for order placed from now (likely Q1 2023 deliveries onwards) as it appears as an option for £180 when ordering
View attachment 850832
This was announced quite a while ago. I believe the cut-off date was April 22nd or thereabouts, from memory. I ordered a MY Perf blue on April 29th and I know I missed out on it by a few days.

• Disagree
Reactions: Toblerone
This was announced quite a while ago. I believe the cut-off date was April 22nd or thereabouts, from memory. I ordered a MY Perf blue on April 29th and I know I missed out on it by a few days.
I don't think so. That was just for the USA, it still stated on the UK website that it was included so you will receive it.

I think the argument now, in these inflationary times, is for replacement vehicle gap. I always went for this anyway, as one never knew if that 25% discount would be repeatable etc.

But in the case of a 2022 MY LR. Let’s say list £60k. And a hypothetical write off in 2025 with an insurance value given of £50k. But inflation means the 2025 MY LR is now £75k list. There’s your argument for replacement vehicle GAP.
If your car is written off in 2025 then your insurance company has to give you market value to replace it, so you can purchase a 3 year old replacement.

GAP insurance was originally there to cover early negative equity on a loan where the repayments didn't cover the initial high depreciation and therefore in a write off your insurance payout wouldn't cover the amount to settle the loan.

Now it seems people want to use it as a New for Old insurance policy.