Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[UK] 2024.14.x

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't see that mentioned in the notes. Not sure that'll come in the 14 branch and still I guess being tested in US. I hope it does come to other regions though unsure if the annoying turn limits on the steering wheel impact low speed parking also. If it does then again, I doubt Tesla will bother because it's trained on data to mimic humans so I highly doubt they'll gimp that to work with countries that won't allow it to work as intended.
Current Autopark spins the wheel rather quickly.. so I'd assume we're ok. I suspect with it being part of the V12 FSD stack, it may not be easy to include it here with our legacy AP. I hope I'm wrong. We don't have enough information as to how the different features are all integrated now..

Reactions: FastLaneJB
Current Autopark spins the wheel rather quickly.. so I'd assume we're ok. I suspect with it being part of the V12 FSD stack, it may not be easy to include it here with our legacy AP. I hope I'm wrong. We don't have enough information as to how the different features are all integrated now..
I think they can separate it out so they only use that stack to offer us Autopark. Will be the first time I guess we get to experience what FSD can do in a very limited way though in this country.

I guess first time we might see more will be if they decide to retire the old Autopilot code and offer us the highway version of FSD. When there's news reports of Tesla's driving the wrong way on motorways we'll know they are beta testing it with their employees ;)

I think they can separate it out so they only use that stack to offer us Autopark. Will be the first time I guess we get to experience what FSD can do in a very limited way though in this country.

I guess first time we might see more will be if they decide to retire the old Autopilot code and offer us the highway version of FSD. When there's news reports of Tesla's driving the wrong way on motorways we'll know they are beta testing it with their employees ;)
That last sentence made me laugh! I think they have only just or about to merge the highway and city streets to V12 in the US. I suspect it will be a while before we get V12 even on highway.. but I live in hope :)

I don't see that mentioned in the notes. Not sure that'll come in the 14 branch and still I guess being tested in US. I hope it does come to other regions though unsure if the annoying turn limits on the steering wheel impact low speed parking also. If it does then again, I doubt Tesla will bother because it's trained on data to mimic humans so I highly doubt they'll gimp that to work with countries that won't allow it to work as intended.
It’s still an offering in EAP so say to be included in future release so unless it is releases Tesla are falsely taking peoples money

They will have to eventually. I would be quite surprised if they are not already training the system for driving in major markets outside the US. They won't be waiting for the go-ahead from regulators to allow city streets FSD before starting the training process.
That's not in dispute. They won't retrain V12 to work under the restrictive regulations.. Therefore we don't have V12 FSD yet.

Seems like some are confusing v12 FSD and the stack developed for and now used by FSD v12.

There is nothing regulatory preventing the stack developed for and used by FSD v12 to be deployed in other countries.

That stack will benefit regular AP, EAP and FSD but it is not a panacea for making regular AP or EAP have the functionality of FSD.

Reactions: EV_SteveA
They won’t be wasting their compute training for RHD UK yet. They’ll do it when they know they can release it here and not before.

I think they’ll want to get it a bit better still in the US before they bother with Europe however don’t think they are far off having something they could be happy to release. Just regs are an issue.

Problem is that V12 is using Neural Nets to think and make decisions rather than rely on code. The rules in Europe are clear. One of them is the vehicle must stay equal distance between white lines. It's not allowed to cross those lines.. not even to change lanes unless a certain set of criteria's are met and only when they are met, it still needs to be confirmed by the driver. All this is embedded in lines of code. The whole point of V12 is to teach it to drive like a human and blend in. No way can it be trained to drive under our regulations for Driver Assistance Systems. I can't see how V12 will be added or help our legacy AP.. They are a completely different approach and not compatible.

I'm not an expert, and happy to be proved wrong if there is evidence that we do have FSD V12.X working in some sort of nerf'd way. But from what I understand V12 FSD is... it can't be nerf'd; not easily anyways. 👍

They won’t be wasting their compute training for RHD UK yet. They’ll do it when they know they can release it here and not before.

I think they’ll want to get it a bit better still in the US before they bother with Europe however don’t think they are far off having something they could be happy to release. Just regs are an issue.
They need to sort the missing functionality of EAP for non USS cars they would be foolish not to as buyers are not fools either

The rules apply to drivers too and the authorities don't seem too bothered about them being bent slightly by humans.
Yes, we break the rules and we take the risk and the consequences if caught. But a company can't be seen programming a system to break the rules.. Tesla's hands are tied until UNECE things get changed over here. From what I read.. even the new recommendations still state that any move by the car still needs to be confirmed by the driver.. So auto lane changes will still need to be "Approved" by the driver. Pulling away from a traffic light.. will need to be confirmed by driver. Pulling out from a give way.. needs to be confirmed by the driver. I'm surprised we get away with adaptive cruise control continuing after it stops.. I know some manufactures have traffic jam assist but again they are heavily regulated.

So I think they could probably limit it kind of like you can adjust what a GenAI responds with based on the prompt you put to it. Basically they just need to tell the AI:

“Use your driving skills, throw those out the window and drive like an idiot, unable to make turns just as the UN intended” :)

They don't need to do any special training to do that though. Parling a car is the same the world over for instance.

Also is this like them bringing the missing functionality for FSD soon? ;)
Point is FSD missing items is well known in the UK due to county’s restrictions, the missing EAP items are down to Tesla moving to Tesla Vision. Two very different situations. They could at least bring one one the missing functions back as it’s proven to work in the US. A little sweetener whilst we wait for the New Summon.

Personally I would like to be able to contact Tesla direct as their dealership le know nothing useful

Reactions: goRt
Point is FSD missing items is well known in the UK due to county’s restrictions, the missing EAP items are down to Tesla moving to Tesla Vision. Two very different situations. They could at least bring one one the missing functions back as it’s proven to work in the US. A little sweetener whilst we wait for the New Summon.

Personally I would like to be able to contact Tesla direct as their dealership le know nothing useful
Yes I know why it’s missing. My point was people have been able to buy FSD for far longer in this country and they get nothing for their money. Tesla hasn’t been bothered about that so why would they be bothered about the long list of “Coming soon” on EAP anymore?

I do expect though that Autopark will come but not ASS (Actually Smart Summon). Think a basic back and forward summon just to get out of tight parking spaces would be nice though. Used to use that on my 7 series many years ago but then that was a wider car.

Problem is that V12 is using Neural Nets to think and make decisions rather than rely on code. The rules in Europe are clear. One of them is the vehicle must stay equal distance between white lines. It's not allowed to cross those lines.. not even to change lanes unless a certain set of criteria's are met and only when they are met, it still needs to be confirmed by the driver. All this is embedded in lines of code. The whole point of V12 is to teach it to drive like a human and blend in. No way can it be trained to drive under our regulations for Driver Assistance Systems. I can't see how V12 will be added or help our legacy AP.. They are a completely different approach and not compatible.

I'm not an expert, and happy to be proved wrong if there is evidence that we do have FSD V12.X working in some sort of nerf'd way. But from what I understand V12 FSD is... it can't be nerf'd; not easily anyways. 👍

A couple of weeks ago I was heading north somewhere in the midlands between the M1 and the M6 Toll (on expenses!). I was in lane 3 of 4, with a truck in lane 2 and lane 4 empty. I was on Autopilot - EAP. The truck was wandering in its lane and I was keeping a close eye on it. The car decided, without any input from me, that it was uncomfortable with the truck and moved sharply into lane 4.

Rules are malleable. Once it is clear that neural net FSD works, then the rules can be changed, Mind you, it will probably require BMW and/or Mercedes to licence the technology from Tesla first.