Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[UK] 2024.8.x

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
🙄

From 2013:

What’s that got to do with collision detection and avoidance?

I’m talking about this. In the demo they obviously show it working well but in reality it flashed up every pedestrian where the path is too close to the road or there’s a bend in the road so you are driving towards them but obviously will turn. It doesn’t know that so highlights then to warn you not to not run them over. This happened in any area, including well lit villages.

Others are saying the Tesla is doing the same here for collision detection with pedestrians so it also isn’t using the mapping data to know the road curves and you won’t hit them. It doesn’t flash the high beams at them but otherwise the result and mistake seems the same.

Reactions: Alwayshopeful

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240323_081338.jpg
    Screenshot_20240323_081338.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 141
  • Informative
Reactions: Durzel and dombera
Has this roll out officially been stopped?

This bell curve rollout is typical of every update, look back at previous sofware releases. If a random subset of cars are picked for the initial tranche, you'll see this distribution pattern. To me, this does suggest it really is just random.

I would not conclude there is a bug, as nothing has stopped, it's simply the start was limited. There might be a 2024.8.4.1 to follow, but it's pure conjecture to predict why.

It's sensible to release in tranches for several reasons. For example, there will likely be a surge in service requests after each software update and they can only handle so many at once. These service requests don't mean there is an actual bug as people often feel there are changes when there is not. A good example is the wipers, which rarely change but every release people feel they have. It's highly likely that human factors are considered.

Windows updates, mobile phone apps, all follow the same distribution pattern.

Just went for a quick country lane drive with this update to test out the adaptive high beams. They work very well, I could see they definitely drop fast enough for oncoming traffic even around sharp bends. Didn't get flashed once.

However... I did get flashed three times when the high beams dipped for streetlights. Twice with oncoming cars, once from a car in front flashing his fogs at me. It seems like the dipped beam pattern on my car has 1 or 2 more rows of segments active than when the full beam is on but blocked out for a car in front. So when my car switches back to normal dipped beam, it looks to the car in front like I'm flashing them I guess. Anyone else noticed this?

Just went for a quick country lane drive with this update to test out the adaptive high beams. They work very well, I could see they definitely drop fast enough for oncoming traffic even around sharp bends. Didn't get flashed once.

However... I did get flashed three times when the high beams dipped for streetlights. Twice with oncoming cars, once from a car in front flashing his fogs at me. It seems like the dipped beam pattern on my car has 1 or 2 more rows of segments active than when the full beam is on but blocked out for a car in front. So when my car switches back to normal dipped beam, it looks to the car in front like I'm flashing them I guess. Anyone else noticed this?
Is there still the option to calibrate the headlights in the service menu after the update?

Probably just means your dipped beam is too high. Not uncommon.

I thought my dipped beams looked a little high after the update. Try going into the headlight calibration/adjustment screen whilst the car is on a level surface. You don’t need to adjust anything, but going into the adjustment apparently recalibrates the sensor. Worth a shot. I thought my dipped looked better after doing this, though I couldn’t say for certain. Not been flashed, though.

Reactions: Durzel and thax1

The low beams seem to have an L shaped beam with a segment on the left of each beam that is higher than the rest. I think this is meant to be for illuminating the side of the road, signs etc. The issue I have found is that if you are going round a corner or in lane 2/3 on the motorway it shines at other drivers. When adjusted low enough to not do that you end up not being able to see very far in front of you. I followed the tesla service manual headlight adjustment procedure and after that those nodes would shine into people's windows on the motorway so I had to lower them quite a bit.
Luckily this is only an issue if the high beams are off and you can leave them on most of the time now.

Unfortunately Tesla doesn't have adaptive cornering tech in the lights, so the whole "illuminate the pavement" configuration of them will momentarily blind people in instances where you're sweeping across their field of view. I don't think there is a solution for that short of dropping them down quite a bit. Unfortunately I think it is a case of "it is what it is".

Reactions: Cardo