Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki UK and Ireland Supercharger Site News

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If it's similar to this..

73F3B225-6477-4B15-9B74-2A329041A789.jpeg

..expect this in about 5 days time

F38E5DED-2975-4483-B8A3-8C6611A005F8.jpeg

Small rant/opinion incoming

I am a little bit frustrated like some people in recent discussions as to how many charges they are dumping in the South. Don't get me wrong any new chargers are great but it's a little bit frustrating when we have big gaps in the likes of Scotland wales, Ireland, and other places. As an example, recently planning permission was submitted for a supercharger on the motorway in Reading. There are already 2 superchargers in that area which are never close to being full we don't need another charger there!

But overall I'm still happy about the recent activity from tesla regarding superchargers in the UK just wish they would put them in more needed locations

Reactions: StephenEdinb

I am a little bit frustrated like some people in recent discussions as to how many charges they are dumping in the South. Don't get me wrong any new chargers are great but it's a little bit frustrating when we have big gaps in the likes of Scotland wales, Ireland, and other places. As an example, recently planning permission was submitted for a supercharger on the motorway in Reading. There are already 2 superchargers in that area which are never close to being full we don't need another charger there!

But overall I'm still happy about the recent activity from tesla regarding superchargers in the UK just wish they would put them in more needed locations
While I understand and agree with what you are saying I'm guessing it's down to a combination of more suitable sites/easier planning permission/power infrastructure and also the number of vehicles they expect to sell in the areas, don't assume other area are being ignored though, look how many new sites/upgraded sites have happened in recent months!

While I understand and agree with what you are saying I'm guessing it's down to a combination of more suitable sites/easier planning permission/power infrastructure and also the number of vehicles they expect to sell in the areas, don't assume other area are being ignored though, look how many new sites/upgraded sites have happened in recent months!

Yeah you're absolutely right it's just another example of North-South divide really

Reactions: CMc1

One of the ways we can influence this is to get the ears of Tesla people who are planning this stuff. But how to do this ? We need the Tesla SC planning teams and Distribution Network Operators to have open forums where the EV community can pitch locations as candidates and they need to be incentivised to listen. I.e. they need to know that folks will benefit from having safe and convenient locations to go explore currently under-served areas.

Who has some contacts and who is up for putting some time into working them, have already said one another thread I’d be willing to put some time into schmoozing whoever makes these decisions.

It needs some co-ordinated lobbying. Maybe 10-20 people on here with some organisation feeding into whoever can get some contacts / comms routes in.

Failing that it’s reliance on folks stumbling across disgruntled/frustrated forum members’ comments, which is not going to get the focus or action that’s needed.

I would be up for putting effort in for the Wales region.

Reactions: cockneyleek

I've made this counter argument before:
  • For us as drivers, it's more important for Tesla to ensure that there isn't too much congestion at existing superchargers than to open up new territory where there aren't existing superchargers. A supercharger that doesn't exist you can plan around: take a different (maybe longer) route, use third-party charging, organize to charge at destination etc. A nuisance, but a known nuisance that you can allow for. On the other hand, a supercharger that's notionally available but liable to be congested is a big problem (and in some ways worse than no supercharger at all since you plan your day/route on the basis of being able to charge then get delayed when you can't charge.
  • For Tesla themselves looking at it from a marketing perspective, it's more important to ensure that there isn't too much congestion than to open up new territory. The existing set of superchargers already looks quite impressive: there may be the odd few potential customers who make regular trips where there are holes in coverage, and so those missing superchargers cost a handful of potential sales, but once stories start appearing in the press about queues at superchargers it threatens the reputation of the whole brand and feeds the public perception that EVs can't do long journeys. Those few customers lost for the lack of remote superchargers can probably be won back later when the superchargers are eventually built, those lost due to overcrowding are much harder to win back.
So with huge numbers of new cars being delivered, it's crucial to keep building superchargers in the areas where they already are (and where most of the new cars are going). Superchargers in new areas are nice to have, but not so critical.

It's also the case that not all superchargers are equally feasible to build. Some sites need multiple years of lead-time (and lots of money) to get the power supply installed, while others just need someone to sign a work-order and they are installed in a month. There is a legitimate grumble here that Tesla's planning is too short-term: Supercharger installations in the UK have come in waves, seemingly with a budget squeeze that prevents any installs for months or even years, then suddenly the taps get turned on and loads of sites get built at once. This probably counts against those sites that need concerted effort over a long period to solve their problems - when the money becomes available it's tempting to spend it on the "shovel ready" sites that are going to show an immediate result.

The recent planning apps all have names for agents/contractors will all have good contacts. Or simple google ‘linkedin tesla supercharger uk’ and a few names come up.

Tesla already do the analytics for planning supercharger locations and probably don’t need us to tell them. They know where we drive, stay, charge and how many of us do that. I doubt they’ll be influenced.

Tesla currently have more capital than they know what to do with = good time to build out SuCs.

Reactions: Derek25
If it's similar to this..

73F3B225-6477-4B15-9B74-2A329041A789.jpeg

..expect this in about 5 days time

F38E5DED-2975-4483-B8A3-8C6611A005F8.jpeg
Don’t count your chickens, a year later it could look like this:
D1D622E1-DD76-48FF-98BE-A66F8988A043.jpeg

although I doubt this will be the case at Amesbury which I think is more likely to be live within a matter of days based on the rate of progress Tesla have made at other sites recently (and signs that groundworks are pretty much complete already).