Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki UK and Ireland Supercharger Site News

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla is driven by data and let’s be honest, hardly anyone actually lives in mid wales.

Sure there is a large transient tourist population that goes to mid wales but in reality, they’ll be better served by low power desalination chargers which are much cheaper and easier to install.

Rapids are only viable where there are large critical masses of people traveling longer distances. We are talking multi million £ investments most of the time.
well of course. it is very convenient to charge at 11 kw ;)

of course, destination chargers are a must, but SC network expansion (or any ultra fast charger) in the void would be welcome.

Tesla is driven by data and let’s be honest, hardly anyone actually lives in mid wales.

Sure there is a large transient tourist population that goes to mid wales but in reality, they’ll be better served by low power desalination chargers which are much cheaper and easier to install.

Rapids are only viable where there are large critical masses of people traveling longer distances. We are talking multi million £ investments most of the time.
I don't think that's the issue in mid & north Wales. From what I've read Tesla did have a site at Caer Beris Manor (Builth Wells) earmarked but getting enough power to the site was an issue, then the pandemic happened. The hotel is reportedly up for sale so I guess this has become one of many so far unsuccessful attempts that Tesla have made to find a site in the Welsh charging desert. My impression is that something would have happened by now if there was more grid capacity available.

Superchargers are not really supposed to be for the people who live in a place but for those passing through.
Its the people going to Southwest Wales from anywhere north of Stoke who would benefit most.
If coming down the M6 then through Wales there is nothing after Tebay ( ignoring Warrington for obvious reasons) without a diversion until you get to Carmarthen.
That is 260miles and relies on Tebay! unless you can sneak into Charnock via the service road. Not sure if that is a thing or not.
This is a popular tourist route:
1677586876756.png

P.S. Also people from the north desperate to visit DVLA! :)

Reactions: CMc1 and cezdoc
Superchargers are not really supposed to be for the people who live in a place but for those passing through.
Its the people going to Southwest Wales from anywhere north of Stoke who would benefit most.
If coming down the M6 then through Wales there is nothing after Tebay ( ignoring Warrington for obvious reasons) without a diversion until you get to Carmarthen.
That is 260miles and relies on Tebay! unless you can sneak into Charnock via the service road. Not sure if that is a thing or not.
View attachment 912223

by the way - what's wrong with Warrington?

p.s. I see your google maps have favourites as Tesla superchargers, if not mistaken? keen to share?

by the way - what's wrong with Warrington?

p.s. I see your google maps have favourites as Tesla superchargers, if not mistaken? keen to share?
Warrington only has 2 V2 stalls, I've only charged there once and never again - I had to wait for over 1/2hr then the charge rate was only 60kW as the other stall was in use. There were several cars waiting behind me, a couple of them gave up and left.

I think you also risk a parking fine unless you register with reception now.

Reactions: yessuz

To be fair, last time I looked Oswestry was the leader in votes on the Supercharger voting map. Would certainly be in prime location for the jump south over the Brecon's or the last chance if going to Anglesey from the Midlands

To be fair, last time I looked Oswestry was the leader in votes on the Supercharger voting map. Would certainly be in prime location for the jump south over the Brecon's or the last chance if going to Anglesey from the Midlands
Sorry bit off topic now not a supercharger but A5 route to Anglesey does at least have Rhug Farm with its 8 Instavolt to plug the East West gap

Warrington only has 2 V2 stalls, I've only charged there once and never again - I had to wait for over 1/2hr then the charge rate was only 60kW as the other stall was in use. There were several cars waiting behind me, a couple of them gave up and left.

I think you also risk a parking fine unless you register with reception now.
I've just had a look at this online given it's my nearest SC site, and parking is still free for first 2 hours (Welcome Break Website) It does get very busy though, I feel Warrington could do with some more on the East side though

View attachment 912223

I've just had a look at this online given it's my nearest SC site, and parking is still free for first 2 hours (Welcome Break Website) It does get very busy though, I feel Warrington could do with some more on the East side though
I've tried a route similar to that shown in @Jason71 's post a couple of times in my MS70. For clarification, I think @AndyWarrington is referring to the 8 bay Burtonwood (M62) SuC rather than the 2 bay "Warrington" SuC at the Park Royal hotel (near the M56). In my case I avoided the Park Royal stop (it's had a reputation for queues and slow charge rates ever since it opened) by using the M62 and charging up at Burtonwood. Although the services are eastbound there is a legitimate exit road that takes you west back to Jct 8 so it's not a big detour to then use the Mersey Gateway (toll) bridge to get to the M56.

That said, Burtonwood is still fairly busy and only V2, and a break in mid Wales would have been very welcome. In my case, being able to charge at Swansea will be a big benefit as alternative charging options at the places I visit are very limited (and slow).

I've tried a route similar to that shown in @Jason71 's post a couple of times in my MS70. For clarification, I think @AndyWarrington is referring to the 8 bay Burtonwood (M62) SuC rather than the 2 bay "Warrington" SuC at the Park Royal hotel (near the M56). In my case I avoided the Park Royal stop (it's had a reputation for queues and slow charge rates ever since it opened) by using the M62 and charging up at Burtonwood. Although the services are eastbound there is a legitimate exit road that takes you west back to Jct 8 so it's not a big detour to then use the Mersey Gateway (toll) bridge to get to the M56.

That said, Burtonwood is still fairly busy and only V2, and a break in mid Wales would have been very welcome. In my case, being able to charge at Swansea will be a big benefit as alternative charging options at the places I visit are very limited (and slow).
You could already use the Gridserve chargers at Swansea services though ?

You could already use the Gridserve chargers at Swansea services though ?
Yes good point - I don't think I've tried the route since the Gridserve ultra-rapid hub opened. I generally prioritise Superchargers because (a) it's easier to route via them and get live status via the Nav and (b) I have free supercharging, so the last couple of trips I've gone M5 - M4 and used Bridgend.

Hi Everyone! I’m new here. Does anybody know what is happening at Brent Cross and Park Royal?

Brent Cross has always had two older power sharing supercharger bays. I have asked Tesla a couple of times if they would consider expanding it since it has heavy traffic especially during shopping hours.

Of course Park Royal has been closed since that dreadful Range Rover accident back in august last year. RIP those that passed.

Hi Everyone! I’m new here. Does anybody know what is happening at Brent Cross and Park Royal?

Brent Cross has always had two older power sharing supercharger bays. I have asked Tesla a couple of times if they would consider expanding it since it has heavy traffic especially during shopping hours.

Of course Park Royal has been closed since that dreadful Range Rover accident back in august last year. RIP those that passed.
Hi @Musa786 & welcome!

I don't have any information about Brent Cross or Park Royal other than what is presented on Tesla's website and app but I would be interested to know the status too, especially Brent Cross because that was removed from the website and app in mid February. That could indicate permanent closure of the two stalls there (Park Royal in contrast shows as temporarily closed / 0 of 8 available although there were 16 stalls on site before the accident, and I'm sure Tesla will be working to get it operational again ASAP).

There's a good chance someone on here has visited the Tesla service/delivery centres at one or both recently and may have asked/heard of some news so keep an eye out for replies.

I don't know how many Tesla owners are connected to Wales but it appears an inordinate number of posts are to do with N Wales and mid Wales. Interesting but not too important particularly as there are lots of Superchargers in South Wales.
I am much more concerned about the huge gaps up country in Durham, Teeside and Tyneside and Northumberland and North of Preston on the M6 up to Edinburgh or Glasgow. The major roads across the Pennines are also bereft of supercharges.
Also the counties of Surrey, Hampshire, Kent and East and West Sussex have supercharges few and far between.
These areas all require more attention in this post

Reactions: exlatccatsa
I don't know how many Tesla owners are connected to Wales but it appears an inordinate number of posts are to do with N Wales and mid Wales. Interesting but not too important particularly as there are lots of Superchargers in South Wales.
I am much more concerned about the huge gaps up country in Durham, Teeside and Tyneside and Northumberland and North of Preston on the M6 up to Edinburgh or Glasgow. The major roads across the Pennines are also bereft of supercharges.
Also the counties of Surrey, Hampshire, Kent and East and West Sussex have supercharges few and far between.
These areas all require more attention in this post
Is it particularly hard to travel up the M1/A1 and on to Edinburgh? Never had an issue myself, stop at Scotch Corner on the way up and Washington on the way back, it's good to now have more options further south at Ferrybridge as it was getting busy at Woodall.

M6/M74 needs more capacity, it seems to be coming though after the much publicised issues at Christmas. Soon to me much more Suc capacity at Gretna, Preston, Anadale Water and Hamilton, Gridserve open at Kendle and coming at Tebay North, AppleGreen at Abington

I drive from Cardiff - Northumberland all the time. The M1/A1 is not hard at all. You have Mansfield, Woodall, Ferrybridge, Washington and Scotch Corner. Also Wetherby now has a really big Gridserve site with 350KW chargers. Just avoid Mansfield around lunch time and Ferrybridge around tea time and you're grand!

I concur, loads of chargers up the A1 north of London all the way to Scotland and loads more being built.

There are bucket loads of non-tesla chargers too from Gridserve and others.

Gridserve at Blyth should be open in a few months and I would expect Grantham and Washington to go live any day if they are not already open, construction was fully complete when I passed a couple of weeks ago.

Reactions: adsheff

I can tell you about Park Royal as I just spoke to them about a fault with my car. The new front of house opens on Monday and is apparently very swanky and everything has been re-tarmaced. The Superchargers should reopen in about a week. So that's straight from the Park Royal horse's mouth this afternoon.