Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki UK and Ireland Supercharger Site News

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
RV2 contractor (a known Tesla supercharger installer) is also currently at Rugby services. Fencing etc in front of existing SuCs with civils about to start and a new foundation build behind said ting sub.

Looks like Moto are going all out at the moment. Not entirely sure if Tesla involved in this one or just GRIDSERVE (or neither) but with a watch.

Reactions: cezdoc
RV2 contractor (a known Tesla supercharger installer) is also currently at Rugby services. Fencing etc in front of existing SuCs with civils about to start and a new foundation build behind said ting sub.

Looks like Moto are going all out at the moment. Not entirely sure if Tesla involved in this one or just GRIDSERVE (or neither) but with a watch.
I think we can add Thurrock to the Moto watch list as well. A post on TOUK said 12 supercharger stalls plus charger cabinets are in the process of being installed there. No photos but it has a Tesla Coming Soon marker. A soon-to-expire planning application included 16 stalls but IIRC Gridserve rapids now occupy the area originally marked with Tesla stalls in the planning drawings.

Reactions: CMc1
I think we can add Thurrock to the Moto watch list as well. A post on TOUK said 12 supercharger stalls plus charger cabinets are in the process of being installed there. No photos but it has a Tesla Coming Soon marker. A soon-to-expire planning application included 16 stalls but IIRC Gridserve rapids now occupy the area originally marked with Tesla stalls in the planning drawings.
Simon Yapp has posted a photo on Twitter confirming construction at Moto Thurrock was underway as of 3rd June. He counts 16 (looks like there's a gap between the first 12 and the last 4).

I estimate the map coordinates as (51.492500, 0.271000) (slightly different to the supercharge.info marker location, next to the Gridserve rapids installed in 2022).

• Informative
Reactions: CMc1
Tesla have now done a deal with Ford AND GM to allow access to ALL US superchargers not just the ones opened up the public. I wonder if we will see anything similar in Europe.......
1686689932591.png

Supercharge reckons they have 19,646 stalls in the US so NOT ALL and presumably not the busier ones

• Informative
Reactions: Jason71
This is how it was/is/should be?

Slow = less than 7kW Fast = 7kW+ Rapid = 50kW+ Ultra Rapid = 150kW+

All Superchargers are regarded as Ultra Rapid (though some old ones only peak at 120kW ... if you're lucky)
I think they should just quote the maximum speed without any scope to confuse the issue with a categorisation.

...and while we're at it, I think the charge stations (if you will) should have a roadside display with the price quoted like petrol stations have to do for price per litre.

I’ve been away with work for a while so haven’t been on the forum but thought I’d drop in with some updates.
🔥Work has begun on what will be the UK’s largest Supercharger site. It should be a fast build and be open in time for the summer getaway with more bays than Heathrow T5 or Westfield which are the current largest with 24. Can’t name the site yet, but will ask permission to name it. It is on a vital route so will be great news.
🔥V4 is on the way with first sites planned BUT UK V4 hardware has a specific design requirement so my bet is end of Q3 for the first installs.
🔥I should be able to livestream an opening of a new site soon . It is one where we have cause to celebrate it opening. 🎈
🔥So much happening and in the pipeline so it should be a crazy second half of the year!
🔥Moto progress is crazy fast which is brilliant news for the motorway network.

when do you think we'll hear more?

I think they should just quote the maximum speed without any scope to confuse the issue with a categorisation.

...and while we're at it, I think the charge stations (if you will) should have a roadside display with the price quoted like petrol stations have to do for price per litre.
Its the same with Broadband! Should just specify the voltage 7,50,150 etc

It’s probably Exeter given all the activity going on down there at the moment.

G4E are digging up another part of the car park, supposedly for more super chargers and another bank of gridserve units. Once completed, it will be the biggest charging hub in the U.K. by some margin (pretty sure Gridserve/Tesla already hold this crown at one of the electric forecourts).

National grid are apparently doing something new there to manage the load if you believe the twitbook chatter.
What about Brighton?- they've been screaming for some SCs for years

You can put in a lot more stalls than simply doing the supply size / 250kw.

It’s fair to say all the bays being plugged into a fully preconditioned car at low SOC at basically the same time is a bit of an edge case.

Tesla sites are rarely sized for Y stalls x 250kw. Total site power will be much lower as it’s just not needed.

Gridserve will also be doing the same, nothing on the market actually pulls 350kw.

Reactions: NewbieT and Mrklaw
4 new tesla cabinets have been delivered to Exeter services today.

It will be the biggest charging site in the country by far, 32 v3 super chargers and 24 350kw grid service units.
Whilst that's a fair assumption, it's not a foregone conclusion. v3 superchargers aren't capable of running all stalls simultaneously at anywhere near max power - there's something like a factor of three contention there. Although the DC bus means power sharing should generally be at the site level and not at the cabinet level - meaning that, unlike v2 deployments, it generally shouldn't matter which stall you pick.

I believe Tesla have been known to sometimes provision particularly busy v3 sites with only three stalls per cabinet, for this reason. So it's hard to draw firm conclusions from the number of cabs until we see what they actually deploy.

It looks like Cornwall & Devon will now be in a better position to cope with EV tourists during the summer vacation period, as long as destination charging improves at hotels, holiday lets and camp sites...

for Tesla drivers with additional options at lifton and cambourne, sure. But non-tesla owners could probably still do with at least one decen hub further down towards the toe