Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki UK and Ireland Supercharger Site News

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Of course it matters if It reduces the number of available stalls! I can't see you being very relaxed about it if you end up in a queue when you can see there are unused stalls that are only unavailable because someone didn't understand the charger/space arrangement.
I'm genuinely wondering and don't know the answer because I've not tried yet (but could if needs be), so please no hate, but maybe the V4 cable length being a bit longer means Teslas can park wrong way in, and still charge, like a car with a front-right corner charge port reversed in; then there won't be blocked ports on V4.

Anyone tried?

I'm genuinely wondering and don't know the answer because I've not tried yet (but could if needs be), so please no hate, but maybe the V4 cable length being a bit longer means Teslas can park wrong way in, and still charge, like a car with a front-right corner charge port reversed in; then there won't be blocked ports on V4.

Anyone tried?
Yep. Post 6636 above.

Like with like though…

- a ton of the Osprey network is still at 75 kW charge points. There aren’t that many Kempower 150 & 300 kW enabled sites.
- Instavolt outside of the pairs of rubbish 200A- limited BYD twins at McD and Costa have again a handful of ultrafast hubs > 6 charge points

MFG look good, nice charge points those with Alpitronic HYCs in play. Not the cheapest though.
Yeah. The MFG sites and kit seem like the real deal, good numbers of taps at petrol station locations. BP Pulse still a massive con to this day.

Gridserve are on a massive push, I reckon they are trying to be the biggest in UK. Also just opened 8 in Lincoln and with these double tie up sites with Tesla I think they are being very clever and Tesla are dropping the ball.

If Tesla is 'dropping the ball', I don't know how you would describe this lot, note the date ;)...

53333529492_0aca52eaf6_c_d.jpg

There are 8 existing and based on that X post there are only 5 new bases so that makes 13.
As far as I know Tesla have never upgraded a single supercharger site so if they do replace the existing V2 with V4 this will be a first. Stoke has had V4 added with out upgrading the existing chargers.
Never say never but they may just be putting in the cabinets with a view to future upgrades rather than a plan to replace the stalls now?
What I think we don't know is if V2 can even be upgraded to V4 without replacing the underground cables which would make it a bigger job.
Never say never indeed. Upgrade time…

IMG_0071.jpeg

Never say never indeed. Upgrade time…

View attachment 991061
The game has changed. Any they open to the public will soon need a card reader or break the new rules so Tesla will be forced to do upgrades.
So if Tesla are expanding Lifton AND upgrading the existing cabinets you have to wonder........
I imagine that would be the least popular opening up the the public so far by a mile given its popularity at busy times and lack of nearby alternatives.

Its an interesting question isnt it. Which is better
8*V2 exclusive to Teslas or 16*V4 shared with the general pop?
When the site is not full then V4 all the way ( unless you own an old S with no CCS2 of course!)
On the First Saturday in July....... I guess we will see maybe.

Will V4 make a tangible difference to charge / "dwell" times? (IDK)
Not to my Fiat500e it wouldn't with its 85kw max charge rate 🤣

Reactions: FEERSUMENDJIN
Not to my Fiat500e it wouldn't with its 85kw max charge rate 🤣

Compared to a V2 site, it should do. So if you were sitting there drawing your 85kW max, on V2 you would be reducing whoever is on the adjacent stall down to 35kW. Or conversely, if a Tesla got there first you would only get 35kW, well below your capability even if tapered down from the max.

And in an all-V4 scenario, a few slower cars in the mix probably reduces the chance of site limits being hit (though I don't know how often that occurs in practice), thus improving dwell times for the faster cars - though obviously they would be better off if the slow cars weren't there at all!

Compared to a V2 site, it should do. So if you were sitting there drawing your 85kW max, on V2 you would be reducing whoever is on the adjacent stall down to 35kW. Or conversely, if a Tesla got there first you would only get 35kW, well below your capability even if tapered down from the max.

And in an all-V4 scenario, a few slower cars in the mix probably reduces the chance of site limits being hit (though I don't know how often that occurs in practice), thus improving dwell times for the faster cars - though obviously they would be better off if the slow cars weren't there at all!
OK fair enough if you are going to get technical on me 😁
But
The chargers old chargers at Lifton were 150kw not 120kw and I have shared a stall there (in a Tesla obviously) and my charge rate never dropped below 65kw so given the 500e drops to 50kw by the time it gets to 50% anyway I really don't think that using a V2 or a V4 would make much of a difference in my hypothetical case.

To a lesser degree there is also the 800V architecture cars charging on a 400V DC supply - so the fastest charging 800V cars, the E-GMP family, Taycans / e-tron GT's, Xpeng (in `Europe') etc will have a cap applied based on what their on-board 400/800V conversion circuitry is capable of.

...unless Elon flicks a magic software 'switch' and makes SuC cabinets suddenly capable of >900V DC supply to cars. I don't think it's probable.

I imagine that would be the least popular opening up the the public so far by a mile given its popularity at busy times and lack of nearby alternatives.

I think in a utopian view it won't be long before other players are producing useful alternatives. So Tesla will charge at others, and others will charge at Supercharger.

Bjorn seems to stop at a range of brands on his jaunts. Maybe he does that as part of his broad-church research / influencing (I assume Tesla is cheapest in Norway, same as it is here?), or maybe the Norway cases is coming-soon to other countries, and "Just stop and charge", avoiding any serious price-gouging brands (but maybe their price levels out too, once there is loads of competition and fewer naïve punters to be mugged )