Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UK: buying from Tesla used inventory.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Screenshot everything!

Ordered an M3 based on it being delivered to Edinburgh (yes it was one of the Corby cars). Now being told its Birmingham and "tough luck or you can cancel" (my paraphrasing). No real recognition of their error other than it was misconfigured and I have to pick it up from Birmingham.

Now, is it worth a day off work and a 12 hour round trip with the associated costs?

I'm still trying to decide. Goodwill offered by Tesla so far has been derisory.
Never had a car buying experience like this - it is almost ludicrous!

It is a weird business model, but they seem to be making more money than other car makers who've been in the game for a whole lot longer.

I have absolutely no idea where my car is, where I'm meant to collect from, or when it'll be ready. I've given up trying to find ways to glean information - I'll just see what happens. At least I'm not being badgered into buying gap insurance, scotchguard, or a useless warranty like I've become accustomed to when changing vehicle.

Tesla goodwill of a voucher doesn't go far in the Tesla shop!

In my experience, most dealers hassle you to buy extras as AndyFov mentioned above which is time consuming but at least they reasonably good at communication throughout the purchasing process. In my experience, Tesla sales team has communication as a very low priority. It's about getting you in, sign accepting the vehicle a.s.a.p and throwing you out of the door again quickly. First Tesla, so I had a query before I left the centre and the sales guy completely ignored me before being very rude to another customer who had just walked in. Oh, and the 'fully inspected by a Tesla expert' is questionable! I had a list of items/problems immediately identified on the journey home, including an alert that 2 of the tyres were under inflated. Yes, it was a minor thing but how was that not picked up and resolved during the 'expert inspection'?

I wish you luck in locating your vehicle and collection.

Love that the new price dropped 2k just after I bought mine from inventory ffs. Although I'd have to go to London for one of the most discounted.. Looks like they clearing out the older yet still new stock for end of quarter.
Love my new car anyway and happy with price I paid, especially with tax savings and charging cheaply at home and with my solar setup it'll save me money. Good luck with your new cars when you get them all.
20230323_130540.jpg

Love that the new price dropped 2k just after I bought mine from inventory ffs. Although I'd have to go to London for one of the most discounted.. Looks like they clearing out the older yet still new stock for end of quarter.
Love my new car anyway and happy with price I paid, especially with tax savings and charging cheaply at home and with my solar setup it'll save me money. Good luck with your new cars when you get them all.
View attachment 920883
Looks mint! You did well to get that so quickly, didn't you only just cancel your other order a week ago?

View attachment 920883
And a great registration., BJ2 _ DXB :)

Tesla goodwill of a voucher doesn't go far in the Tesla shop!

In my experience, most dealers hassle you to buy extras as AndyFov mentioned above which is time consuming but at least they reasonably good at communication throughout the purchasing process. In my experience, Tesla sales team has communication as a very low priority. It's about getting you in, sign accepting the vehicle a.s.a.p and throwing you out of the door again quickly. First Tesla, so I had a query before I left the centre and the sales guy completely ignored me before being very rude to another customer who had just walked in. Oh, and the 'fully inspected by a Tesla expert' is questionable! I had a list of items/problems immediately identified on the journey home, including an alert that 2 of the tyres were under inflated. Yes, it was a minor thing but how was that not picked up and resolved during the 'expert inspection'?

I wish you luck in locating your vehicle and collection.
I think it's the worst customer experience I've ever had in my life, and I've had some shockers!

Reactions: Motorsport101
I got a text yesterday saying 'Due to unforeseen circumstances' they have had to cancel my collection appointment on the 31st. I got on the chat straight away and they're saying there is a delay getting some 'minor cosmetic work' done, but they couldn't even give me an estimate of a new date. The guy on the chat promised to get back to me today, i'm not holding out much hope!

I would personally cancel if I got told that. I’ve not even been told a collection date still, really is a bad experience. Still kicking myself that I paid in full expecting to collect within 2 days. It stated ready for delivery at the point of ordering, they should have just said sometime in the coming month or months.

I would personally cancel if I got told that. I’ve not even been told a collection date still, really is a bad experience. Still kicking myself that I paid in full expecting to collect within 2 days. It stated ready for delivery at the point of ordering, they should have just said sometime in the coming month or months.
Well mine was 'Coming soon' when I ordered 10 days ago, so I'm not quite ready to cancel yet, plus I got a cracking deal so it's worth waiting out.... for now.

Reactions: SteveH13
Looks mint! You did well to get that so quickly, didn't you only just cancel your other order a week ago?
Yes I got to pick it up within a week of ordering. This happened as I got a callback to cancel the used order. The guy worked in one of the London service centres I believe. I explained the situation and he said let me get you sorted with the new one and he booked my collection date and time there and then before I had even paid and updated my app etc with the new order. I think u have to speak to the right guy it seems..

Reactions: SteveH13
Thanks for this really useful thread. I was really starting to worry, put down a deposit on a 'coming soon' M3 and had heard nothing and had started to worry that something was up. Sounds like no, it's just a poor experience and they'll get round to me eventually. Great to get my mind put a rest. Contacted an advisor via the chat and he has told me that a sales advisor will be in touch, not sure if that was just a platitude or not, but good to know my experience is typical.

Thanks for this really useful thread. I was really starting to worry, put down a deposit on a 'coming soon' M3 and had heard nothing and had started to worry that something was up. Sounds like no, it's just a poor experience and they'll get round to me eventually. Great to get my mind put a rest. Contacted an advisor via the chat and he has told me that a sales advisor will be in touch, not sure if that was just a platitude or not, but good to know my experience is typical.
Welcome to the club...😅

I really hate that all the negative experiences everyone has had puts your mind at rest LOL.

I am still in limbo with my purchase. The upside is that I have had a call from them yesterday. No further forward but it was nice to get a call!!! /s

I really hate that all the negative experiences everyone has had puts your mind at rest LOL.

I am still in limbo with my purchase. The upside is that I have had a call from them yesterday. No further forward but it was nice to get a call!!! /s
I get the impression they are on a huge push to clear new inventory before the end of Q1 so are prioritising that, as seen with Jonstorms 1 week turnaround on new inventory. Hopefully things will start moving for us in April.

Reactions: ringi

Ha ha, I didn't look at it like that, but yes, you are correct. I can't imagine many other companies where you would be spending that amount of money and they'd effectively ignore you for a couple of weeks.

Glad you got a call though, frankly that's all I'd be looking for - just somebody to say 'hey we're prepping your car, it's in the system, going to be x weeks before we call to arrange delivery - now give us the moolah!!'

Reactions: Exy1 and AndyFov
I get the impression they are on a huge push to clear new inventory before the end of Q1 so are prioritising that, as seen with Jonstorms 1 week turnaround on new inventory. Hopefully things will start moving for us in April.
That makes sense and it's given me a chance to get other stuff sorted like a charger and overnight charging rates, so at least when I do get it I'll be in a better position. My mistake was selling the car the M3 is replacing much more quickly than I expected, the same week my daughter passed her driving test, so we are fighting over her/my Fiat 500! 😂 I am mostly losing! 😄

Reactions: Exy1
That makes sense and it's given me a chance to get other stuff sorted like a charger and overnight charging rates, so at least when I do get it I'll be in a better position. My mistake was selling the car the M3 is replacing much more quickly than I expected, the same week my daughter passed her driving test, so we are fighting over her/my Fiat 500! 😂 I am mostly losing! 😄
That’s a losing battle if I ever heard one.

When you win that must be classed as a hollow victory 😁

Same for me, Tesla gave me a 'delivery' date of 31st of March (which they've since pulled) so I sold my current car, it got picked up today. Unless they get their act together, I'll have to spend the next few weeks battling with the Wife over who gets her car (I think we all know who will win) and how we manage logistics with 2 young kids, should be fun!