Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UK: buying from Tesla used inventory.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I went onto online chat, gave the RN, verified identity, asked my question, and...

View attachment 926788
Tesla agents seem to like the phrase "bare with me" but if they insist on using it they really need to learn to spell.
The last time one said it to me I told them they would have to buy me dinner first but that just REALLY confused them.

All is forgiven, if it's a week or two later than originally hoped that's not the end of the world.
I don't have a problem with 4-6 weeks either.

What I do have a problem with is being given a delivery date (triggering me to sell my current vehicle) only to have it taken away. I've now gone 2 weeks without a vehicle due to Tesla's utterly shocking business practices and I still have no idea when I will have a vehicle again. It's really not a great start to my relationship with Tesla. I don't care if this Model 3 is the second coming of Jesus Christ himself, my next EV will not be a Tesla because of this experience.

Reactions: Matrel and AndyFov
If I like the car, and I imagine I will, I'll likely become evangelical about Tesla. Going forward if I trade up and remain brand loyal then that negates the problems that arise from an uncertain swapover schedule.

Your experience has been horrendous though, you've got my sympathy, I grinned to myself when I read this on their website earlier. They're just trolling, aren't they? :)

Screenshot 2023-04-11 200802.jpg

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: Canonicals
@AndyFov - I think I would prefer your experience. I have (unsurprisingly) heard nothing from Tesla since the text on Saturday telling me they anticipated I would be collecting my car on Friday. To be fair, they did reiterate it was an estimate, but it was at least from somebody at the NEC (he referred to the NEC as 'our' site). I know it could still happen, but then it's going to be a massive rush and inconvenience because I can't just take time off work on the basis of a text that is an estimate. Plus, I don't actually believe it's going to happen - even allowing for the Easter break and that slowing things down.

I don't have a problem with 4-6 weeks either.

What I do have a problem with is being given a delivery date (triggering me to sell my current vehicle) only to have it taken away. I've now gone 2 weeks without a vehicle due to Tesla's utterly shocking business practices and I still have no idea when I will have a vehicle again. It's really not a great start to my relationship with Tesla. I don't care if this Model 3 is the second coming of Jesus Christ himself, my next EV will not be a Tesla because of this experience.
@redmamoth - firstly, I love the new profile picture, brilliant! Yeah, I'm with you. I would imagine that if anybody asks it will be 'yeah, the car is a technological marvel and terrifyingly fast, but don't get one because Tesla customer service is appalling and your ownership experience from the second you put down a deposit will be awful'. At this point in time, I can't see the car ever being that good that I'm telling people they should get one despite the customer experience.

I've hit the limit of my patience with this today.

I requested a callback and eventually spoke to someone in London, she was not able to give me any further info on the ETA of my vehicle or transfer me through to anyone who could. This level of incompetence for a company the size of Tesla absolutely blows my mind. She did say that someone in the delivery team sent out March delivery dates in error for vehicles that were not ready. I asked about cancelling and she said it would be 14 business days to get my money back.

So, I'm now in a conundrum. Do I wait and hope that 4-6 weeks some people have been quoted is true (given that all Tesla have done so far is tell lies, lies and more lies), meaning I will get my vehicle in the next 2 weeks. Or do I cut my losses and cancel (then spend god knows how long chasing my refund payment). Either way, it seems like I'm going to be car-less for at least the next 2 weeks, minimum.

I'm a little bit in shock about how bad this situation is, I feel like Tesla have robbed me, both of my existing vehicle and my money. I have no idea when I will get this car or if it even exists.

I don't know what I would do in your situation. I have to confess, getting the message from the Tesla location last Friday for pickup on this Friday did largely put my mind at rest. If I was in your shoes and still not finding anything out, I think I would have cancelled by now - there's no way they shouldn't be able to give you some specific details about where it is and what next steps are. Mind you, I chased mine today, and was told that completion is still Friday, but the vehicle has yet to make it to their delivery hub yet, so they are chasing with Logistics. So no confirmation, but no cancellation either.

I am completely with you that incompetent is the word. I am amazed that with less than 48 hours to go (assuming I could get a morning collection slot) they just don't know. I will however be in your boat if they cancel Friday and can't give me an alternative. Just how long does one accept being treated like an idiot?

I don't know what I would do in your situation. I have to confess, getting the message from the Tesla location last Friday for pickup on this Friday did largely put my mind at rest. If I was in your shoes and still not finding anything out, I think I would have cancelled by now - there's no way they shouldn't be able to give you some specific details about where it is and what next steps are. Mind you, I chased mine today, and was told that completion is still Friday, but the vehicle has yet to make it to their delivery hub yet, so they are chasing with Logistics. So no confirmation, but no cancellation either.

I am completely with you that incompetent is the word. I am amazed that with less than 48 hours to go (assuming I could get a morning collection slot) they just don't know. I will however be in your boat if they cancel Friday and can't give me an alternative. Just how long does one accept being treated like an idiot?
It's tough isn't it, cancel now and wait 2 weeks (probably more) for a refund which will be a massive stress in itself, then find and order another EV (definitely not a Tesla!!!) and wait another week for that to be ready (because you know, that's how long Used Vehicles typically take to get ready for collection)... or do I stick with it and hope they sort their *sugar* out in the next 2 weeks.

I will probably stick for now, but I'm going to call them every single day and bombard them via every possible contact channel until the vehicle is in my possession.

Other option would be for buyers to relax a little, be less dramatic and not sell their cars before they have the new one in hand 🤔
I only wish that I had the kind of cash lying around that I could buy my new car and then get rid of my old one. You're very lucky to be able to do that.

I certainly know that Tesla can't tell me when I will have my car 'in hand' until apparently less than 48 hours before they want me to collect it. That is definitely not enough of a window of time to do anything other than selling it at the absolute bottom of its value to webuyanycar.com or the like. Not ideally what I'd like to do.

Reactions: Exy1
I will probably stick for now, but I'm going to call them every single day and bombard them via every possible contact channel until the vehicle is in my possession.
Please don’t do that. It’s the same number that roadside assistance use and by you tying up a line, someone with more pressing problem is waiting to get through.

I broke down once and, along with Tesla roadside recovery chap trying to get instructions out of Tesla, we’re left on hold on several occasions because lines were busy. On more than one occasion, line cut off after an hour. Took 2 days to recover the vehicle because we ran out of time the first day.

Unfortunately what you are witnessing is all too common with Tesla. Take it as an indication of what you might expect in the future and anything better will be a bonus. I’ve spend too many occasions trying to communicate with Tesla to know it’s not a once off.

I expect nothing with used Tesla was done in the last few weeks of quarter one, then many staff took holidays both to recover from the end of quarter rush and due to Easter. Also many of the car transporter drivers who work for 3rd party companies will be on Easter holidays.

Hence I would not expect much movement on used Tesla until end of next week.

OK so I am new here on this thread, and I just had to contribute after reading the stories.

I am on the exact same boat as a few of you, I ordered my SR+ Tesla 2020 (even though it is a 69 plate which I only found out about after ordering) on 9th March after seeing these bargain teslas online. mines was about 26k mileage and costed £26.6k. So not the heat pump version but the older one. It was just such a bargain that I felt I couldn’t pass up. Was actually just looking at getting an ICE car.

I got the 31st March as my delivery date originally which I was ecstatic about! Too ****ing bad it was just a IT glitch….they told me about 8 days prior that the message was sent out in error. Bummed out as ****.

since then I have been texting the Tesla customer service literally every few days trying to get a new date, and most recently (last Thursday) they told me that they are waiting for a new bumper (that’s slightly worrying) and they have “a backlog of deliveries of parts” to their Corby site apparently…

the update I got was that it will be another 4-6 weeks is their best estimate. Which is just their standard speak and doesn’t really mean anything. Honestly losing hope. Plus I really want to go on a good road trip in between the May bank holidays!

Literally, I can see a used VW Golf GTI mk8 on auto trader that is seriously tempting me (VW golf Gti is my childhood dream car) and seriously considering cancelling the Tesla and going for that instead. At least I’ll probably get it within a week or two (or I would be driving it already for like 3 weeks if I didn’t go for this Tesla!).

anybody have experience cancelling, but still getting the £200 back? Saw something about mentioning the distance selling regulations but not sure if anybody actually has experience of this working?

looking forward to hearing more updates on your tesla buying journeys…

Reactions: Matrel
It's a bit naughty that, I imagine Tesla will consider it a 2019 car should I ever find myself trading it back in.
It’s a MY20 (model year 2020) vehicle. Historically a very American way to identify a vehicle’s spec where most manufacturers do a yearly update, normally well before the actual calendar year starts.

It doesn’t mean the vehicle was manufactured or registered in 2020.

Reactions: SO16 and AndyFov
anybody have experience cancelling, but still getting the £200 back? Saw something about mentioning the distance selling regulations but not sure if anybody actually has experience of this working?
Firstly, welcome to the s**tshow.

I'm no lawyer, but I think distance selling regs state that the product must be delivered in 30 days unless agreed otherwise. I'm pretty sure non of us here agreed to wait over 30 days for our cars, but I wouldn't put it past Tesla to put something in their contracts to worm out of it.

If you do cancel, let us know how that goes. If it is another 4-6 weeks, on top of the 4 weeks i've already waited, I too will be cancelling.

It’s you have paid the deposit on credit card then claim it back through your card provider as goods not provided / delivered.

If you’ve only paid a deposit I would continue to wait and look elsewhere, if something else turns up go for it and then go about getting the deposit back. At the end of the day it’s £200 and that’s not bad, I’ve phoned a few garages prior to Tesla direct and have been quoted £500 - £1000 to secure a car which I simply said no to.

I felt really annoyed chasing every few days prior to finally getting mine.