Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UK: buying from Tesla used inventory.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've just had a message saying my car's ready, finally. It's going to be checked in person by the London delivery team (my presumption here, which could be wrong, is that it hasn't been repaired by Tesla else this shouldn't be necessary).

I was asked if I had any further questions. They were "can I have a charger please, or £425 in vouchers?"

I don't rate my chances, but it seemed daft not to ask given the goodwill gestures other people who've been messed about have been offered.

Fingers crossed for next week as I'm seeing Blur in Wolverhampton, and getting there in a Ford Ka isn't particularly appealing.
Same for me, after over 8 weeks of waiting, my car is finally ready!

I am getting is home delivered (no extra fee) next Friday, all dependant on whether a driver is available to deliver (we'll see!)

After Glenzin's comment though, in apprehensive about the condition.

I too have asked for any goodwill gestures. Something you'd expect after all this time!

Reactions: redmamoth
Although the car might of been with them for months.. they dont actually work on the car for that long as they have a backhual of cars to get through.. and its a matter of when they get round to your car to start work on it. It does not matter if you pay in full.. as I paid full amount up front and still waiting coming upto 3 months! so dont think it makes any difference.

Although the car might of been with them for months.. they dont actually work on the car for that long as they have a backhual of cars to get through.. and its a matter of when they get round to your car to start work on it. It does not matter if you pay in full.. as I paid full amount up front and still waiting coming upto 3 months! so dont think it makes any difference.
Doesn’t make any difference.

I paid in full 2 days after ordering (and when asked) and had a confirmed delivery date (that was cancelled less than 40 hours before the appointment!)

I naively expected much the same as buying a used car from any other dealership - that:

A) had been prepped enough to show/sell
B) would still have some work to do (no point in spending money on a car that hasn’t sold - that’s not good fiscal management)
C) would be about a week, maybe slightly more to get it road ready and complete paperwork

That’s what I’ve experienced time and time again.

What a FOOL I was!

The MX I ordered yesterday is 3 years old. My nervousness is ordering a car I have never seen. I am putting a lot of trust in Tesla. Your post has not made me feel any easier. I hope everything works out for you whichever path you choose.
Thanks @Lee Davis - since it's distance selling, you have 14 days to change your mind in essence. Hopefully that goes some way to ease your nervousness.

Sorry to hear that :( Is it new, or did the previous owner put up with all that (just curious to know)
It's a 2020 M3 LR, I can only assume that the previous owner put up with it. I can't imagine alignment issues were the fault of the previous owner unless it was in a crash? Given the state of the rear plastic boot trim which is all scratched and has massive gouges out of it, it seems they were pretty careless!

They had 8 weeks to prep the car, its common for them to say people can take it to the service to get fixed ie new owners as it kicks the can down the road, then its down to the service centres discretion, when I got my car new it wasn't even clean on the inside, a bizarre company to deal with.

Unless they fix everything within a short period which they may be unwilling to do on a used car, I would look at returning the car under the 14 day right to withdraw.
Definitely - the local service folk have said they'll do what they can in a week and then give me the option again. I'd really be looking for some sort of goodwill here but that needs cleared by the higher ups! Customer service (at least at the corporate level) definitely doesn't seem to be their strong suit.

Same for me, after over 8 weeks of waiting, my car is finally ready!

I am getting is home delivered (no extra fee) next Friday, all dependant on whether a driver is available to deliver (we'll see!)

After Glenzin's comment though, in apprehensive about the condition.

I too have asked for any goodwill gestures. Something you'd expect after all this time!
Crossing my fingers for you! I very much hope I'm an outlier.

I’ll decide after the return and refund of this one is complete. I’ll mostly go with another M3P but from another dealer. I don’t care about extended warranty or EAP.
Online dealers provide extended warranties for 300-400 quids, and EAP is a gimmick, so nothing is holding me to stick with Tesla.

Why Tesla - I need EV and Tesla charging infra is best at the moment.

Hi Folks, here is a quick update on my return experience.
As shared previously, I ordered a 2019 M3P with 40 ish k miles on Odo in mid-march and collected it from Corby in the last week of April.
Like others, I was unsatisfied with the vehicle's condition and the delivery team's behaviour, so I decided to exercise my statuary right of distance buying.

Return Process -
1. Step 1 - I wrote an email informing Tesla about the issues in the vehicle and made it clear that the vehicle would be returned if they were not addressed. Tesla returned saying any panel fitting, gaps etc., are within the threshold they have defined, so there is nothing to be done there. They said I should log a new service request via their app for mechanical issues. The delivery executive was quite adamant and said the vehicle's condition was reflected in the price.

2. Step 2 - I visited their centre in London after writing another email with my decision to return the vehicle. I met a very geeky and polite Tesla executive who looked into the issues. He agreed that the problems listed are recurring in M3 made in Fremont, US, and it is better to go for a slightly newer model e.g. 2020 or 2021 at least.

3. Step 3 - I requested them to process the return. They carried out a fresh inspection, performed a factory reset on the computer and did the paperwork online.

4. I did not hear anything from Tesla for several days after the handover without notification, SMS, or anything. So I had to chase them again. This week I received the refund in my bank account. However, I'm still waiting to get £200 paid for the reservation.

Big Surprise - The exact vehicle is listed back for sale by Tesla, and the price has gone up by £7500. I don't know what magic they did to improve the vehicle's condition.

I don't know what magic they did to improve the vehicle's condition.

I have long thought that the PDI on new cars is based on "If the customer complains, fix it", whereas other brands spend time & money fixing things at PDI which the customer might not care about.

I was really surprised to read @Glenzin post with the list of faults on the car which the previous owner had happily put up with. Clearly there are customers who are not bothered, so that makes it possible to have a business model to not to fix the faults at PDI and see if the customer cares. (And a number of delivery locations have no workshop, so not possible to fix anyway and thus the process that Tesla have implemented is "book a service centre visit")

I have long thought that the PDI on new cars is based on "If the customer complains, fix it", whereas other brands spend time & money fixing things at PDI, which the customer might not care about.

I was really surprised to read @Glenzin post with the list of faults on the car which the previous owner had happily put up with. Clearly there are customers who are not bothered, so that makes it possible to have a business model to not to fix the faults at PDI and see if the customer cares. (And a number of delivery locations have no workshop, so not possible to fix anyway and thus the process that Tesla have implemented is "book a service centre visit")
Not sure about others, but the M3P I bought has been repainted due to paint peeling off after the removal of ppf by a third-party shop, and the quality is pretty poor. These cars are usually parked unused for months in the open ground after trade-in ( in my case, from Sep 2022 until April 2023). Mechanical issues such as squeaking noise friction are expected and therefore require attention. The previous owner would not have had problems or didn't bother due to the end of the lease or PCP term.

Last edited:
The delivery executive was quite adamant and said the vehicle's condition was reflected in the price.
This is funny. They've consistently claimed these last 8 weeks that the delays are because they want the cars to be perfect before they hand them over.

And then when they hand over said 'perfect' cars, any imperfections are standard/expected due to the price.

Talk about expectations v reality.

I have my fingers crossed for the coming Friday! Will be a bit more difficult to fully inspect the car whilst I have a delivery driver waiting to jump to his next job.

Are there any legal rights we can execute as I am really starting to loose patience.. and starting to feel like shouting at them!
I know how you feel. I cancelled and was quite happy to give up the £200 for breaking the contract. I know folks said I should chase them and get it back, but I didn't see the point of having to up my blood pressure even more and just switching one problem for another. Given the car I was buying was cheaper anyway and I had been able to look at it and drive it, I just wrote it off as part of the experience. Being able to walk in to a dealer on a Friday, look at and test drive the car then pick it up on Sunday and drive away was complete relief and I hadn't realised how much it had been getting to me. For those that waited and then got a sub-par car, I cannot imagine! I absolutely love the car and now can't imagine having anything else, but will never buy direct from Tesla again (unless it's a brand new Model 2 when they come out, which would be nice!).

Reactions: xbcxbc and Exy1
Are there any legal rights we can execute as I am really starting to loose patience.. and starting to feel like shouting at them!
The only way it will get better is for them to understand where they are failing. I’ve spent a lot of time raising my issues up the chain. In polite and non emotional content. It seems to have had the desired effect. I’m due to have delivery tomorrow however I am now in my 10th week

Got car possibly being delivered on Tuesday 30th after 10 weeks waiting time! I am requesting them for compensation for selling me a car that was not ready to be sold.

What are a few suggestions to what I can request -
* FSD
* Fully charged car
* Store voucher
* 1 year Premium Connectivity

anything else possibly to add for compensation?

I'd definitely not ask for a tow bar, I can't imagine them getting one of those bolted on till the back end of November.

I messaged my appointed advisor last week and politely pointed out that given my experience has been similar to others who have been offered goodwill gestures to compensate for the dodgy service and faff, I would welcome some of that coming my way too.

I was told they can't offer wall chargers anymore, but can give credit of comparable value. He said he'd raise a claim for compensation without argument or resistance. I'm not greedy or out to squeeze as much out of them as I can. Above all my biggest desire is just to (in the not too distant future) wind up with a car that doesn't disappoint.