Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UK charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all

I'm doing planning right now for when I get my M3. One thing I'm curious about is charging stations for longer trips.

Obvious I can use super chargers and would aim to use them over others due to the simplicity. However, there may be situations where I need to use other networks.

From what I know, most of these need a separate app installed on your phone to use them. Does anyone know how many different networks there are? How many different apps I'd need to install? What about just for the "main" networks (e.g. top 5, or enough to cover all motorway services?)

Has anyone else found a need to do install lots of apps for different networks?

Thanks

Yes lots of apps. Chargers vary by location, so not all apps required.

Easiest thing is to install zap map or plugshare and then when planning your route, follow the link from zap map to the charger supplier and downlaod their app and open an account. Some chargers like instavolt require no app, just tap and go with payment card.

I suggest checking the sorts of [out-of-range] routes you do with A Better Route Planner and see if you are likely to need 3rd party charging at all. I manage about 3,000 miles a year charged at Superchargers (about 10% of my total) and have only had to use 3rd party a couple of times a year. It has been universally dreadful, so my recommendation would be to try to avoid it!

Also have a look at Destination Charging. If you can charge at your destination (i.e. plug in for several hours, instead of rapid-cahrge) then that may negate a charge on the return trip

3rd party charging experiences:

Very few stalls, so high risk of them being busy
Stalls often not working
Many slow charging vehicles, and most of the stalls are slow too (best is 50% of Supercharger [Ionity apart]) so long charging times and long delays if the few stalls there are are all full

Supercharger is what the rest should be. Ionity are looking like doing a good job, but only a couple of sites in the UK so far, and they are only putting in 2-4 stalls, so high chance all-occupied

I have not yet used a Tesla super charger, but looks like I might have too soon, as I am driving from Sussex to NEC, I know there are chargers in NEC but are first come first serve basis, and assuming I cannot get on them as they will be full.

So what do I need to know re payment related?

I cannot seem to find a way to put a CC on the account cannot even find an account.

So How do I pay to use a super charger please? I want to turn up plug in and and not have to mess about.

I have not yet used a Tesla super charger, but looks like I might have too soon, as I am driving from Sussex to NEC, I know there are chargers in NEC but are first come first serve basis, and assuming I cannot get on them as they will be full.

So what do I need to know re payment related?

I cannot seem to find a way to put a CC on the account cannot even find an account.

So How do I pay to use a super charger please? I want to turn up plug in and and not have to mess about.
The Tesla chargers just work. You don’t need a credit card on your account.

If you don’t have any free referral miles, any charges will stay on your account, and you’ll usually be asked to pay them when your car goes into a Service Centre.

I didn’t specifically add a credit card to my account. Tesla are simply charging the same card that I used to pay my car deposit.

Reactions: MaDProFF
Thanks, I have polar card anyhow.

I have booked up parking in NEC, and that is suppose to cover a space for charging that is FOC, Centrica, I have downloaded app. Cost £20-00 3.5 KW charger, covers parking cost..

Just want to cover all my bases, will be the longest journey I have done so far.

I agree that the non-Tesla charging experience can be awful. I feel for iPace owners etc who are totally reliant on it.
If you travel a lot you need loads of cards & apps and at the end of the day there is a good chance that the poorly maintained charger will not work, will be ICE'd or blocked by a damn Outlander or you'll end up in a queue and have to pay parking fees on top of fees for charging.
Tesla supercharging is a breath of fresh air.

I agree that the non-Tesla charging experience can be awful. I feel for iPace owners etc who are totally reliant on it.
If you travel a lot you need loads of cards & apps and at the end of the day there is a good chance that the poorly maintained charger will not work, will be ICE'd or blocked by a damn Outlander or you'll end up in a queue and have to pay parking fees on top of fees for charging.
I saw this the other day @ Ikea Sheffield.

A bay was ICED but it was in an empty car park, miles away from the door so it must have been done deliberately.

I saw this the other day @ Ikea Sheffield.

A bay was ICED but it was in an empty car park, miles away from the door so it must have been done deliberately.

Sadly not a particularly uncommon experience. My experience of non-Tesla public charging networks over the past few years has been that they are universally dire, and that some ICE drivers seem to have a chip on their shoulder about designated EV parking spaces alongside charge points, and go out of their way to block them.

On one occasion I managed to squeeze my i3 into a triangular space that wasn't a designated charging one, and use my 10m lead to reach an ICE'd charge point. When I got back to the car there was a car park attendant in the process of writing out a penalty notice, not for the ICE car parked in the EV space, but for my car being parked outside a designated parking bay. He was reasonable enough, and cancelled the notice after a chat, but told me that there was nothing he could do about the ICE car blocking the EV space, as there was no rule to prevent it.

From what I know, most of these need a separate app installed on your phone to use them. Does anyone know how many different networks there are? How many different apps I'd need to install? What about just for the "main" networks (e.g. top 5, or enough to cover all motorway services?)

How many different networks are there? Too many to count and it changes weekly! I used to maintain a list but I've given up.

"Cover all motorway services" is pretty much just Ecotricity (poor reputation, but near monopoly on motorway services). There's also Ionity at two sites now and probably more to come, but they take contactless bank cards so no advance preparation needed. Ionity are much more attractive where they are available, as they offer near-supercharger speeds to a Model 3 (or to S/X with the recently-available CCS adapter)

Several others are now starting to take contactless bank cards: Instavolt (good general reputation), Engenie (very few sites until recently so not yet established a reputation), BP Chargemaster/Polar (the Ryanair of charging), Tesco (equipment actually provided by PodPoint, but the ones at Tesco specifically support contactless).

BP Chargemaster/Polar really want you to sign up for their monthly subscription that then gives you reduced cost usage; they have tried to coerce you to do this by making their app unusable and their bank card support charged at an extra-premium price. For only an occasional user, this is not what you want; however, some people find them useful enough to be worth subscribing to.

TheNewMotion/ShellRecharge have relatively few locations, but if you get their RFID card (no cost to sign up), that unlocks quite a few of the minor networks via roaming agreements (also good coverage in Europe).

The two other large networks worth mentioning are GeniePoint/ChargePointGenie (mobile-friendly website rather than app, but can also register any RFID card you happen to have) and PodPoint (primarily slow rather than rapid charging, app access only).

(NB. Engenie and GeniePoint are not the same thing!)

Has anyone else found a need to do install lots of apps for different networks?

Personally, every time I hear of a new network I download the app to my phone and plonk it in a folder of "minor network apps", on the off-chance I will need it. Takes (at home, over WiFi) almost no time and avoids the risk of needing to do so at the side of the road with a dodgy cellular connection. I was once at a chargepoint with another Tesla driver - he was still trying to download the necessary app to get started when I'd finished my charge and was departing!

I only bother to take the further step of setting up an account if the network looks particularly useful, especially if it's a network that demands pre-loaded credit.

To get a feel for which networks are in the places you travel to, use zap-map. For actually checking up on a location before planning to charge there, it's worth checking both Zap-map and Plugshare - both have user-provided status info so you can see if the point actually exists and works (which can't be universally relied upon!). Plugshare has photos which are often useful in locating where the point is - particularly for slow charging locations, the equipment is quite small and can be surprisingly difficult to find eg. in a large carpark.

Just for self entertainment it's interesting to plan a route using Abetterrouteplanner from London to Edinburgh for an iPace ... then recalculate the same but changing the car to a Tesla ... any Tesla ... even the SR+ arrives at destination an hour and a quarter before the iPace ... and as for the long range 3, MS and X ... well it's just embarrassing (and that's assuming that the iPace chargers actually work).

Us lucky folk in Scotland, provided we opt to stay here and not venture over the border, only have to have one card/app which covers all the networks (chargeplace Scotland which piggybacks on CYC). In addition nearly all public charging is free up here.

That's not quite true - while CPS are certainly dominant in Scotalnd, there's now quite a lot of Instavolt locations, plus a handful each of several other networks:
  • Ecotricity
  • PodPoint (quite a few but all slow)
  • Shell Recharge (three)
  • Engenie (three)
  • Geniepoint (two)
  • Alfa power (two)
  • Swarco (one)
  • Ionity (just Gretna Green, so it hardly counts)
  • Polar (a fair number, might work with CPS card?)

Thanks, I have polar card anyhow.

I have booked up parking in NEC, and that is suppose to cover a space for charging that is FOC, Centrica, I have downloaded app. Cost £20-00 3.5 KW charger, covers parking cost..

Just want to cover all my bases, will be the longest journey I have done so far.

I have just been on a 3 day trip around Kent – my first long distance multi day trip and several things became apparent that I had not considered:

Firstly check and double check your options and have contingency plans. I was planning to charge at Maidstone and latter at Folkestone. But looking closer I found the Folkestone supercharger is only useable if you are traveling to the France so was useless.

The Maidstone supercharger appeared to have a pub just down the road (but it was closed) a very expensive Hilton hotel just around the corner (found the stairs short cut on the way back) and a Costa 5 mins away (discovered this on our return trip). We spent 5-10 mins just finding our way round. 25 – 30 minutes can be a surprisingly short time when coffee / queues and walking are involved. The supercharger charged my Model 3 from 26 miles range up to 236 miles range in 35 min on our return journey (nowhere near 300) which was ok, but you need to be aware.

As a contingency I joined the Polar network as it gave access to the “charge your car” network but it turned out that the “charge your car” network point in Tenterden was only accessible to Polar account holders with a card and not “Polar instant” users so was of no use to me.

My Model 3 used a lot more power than I expected. Maybe it was the outside temperature, or the heater or the lights or 2 nights with no charging or something wrong with the car but the range was almost half what I expected.

• Informative
Reactions: Flatchat
outside temperature, or the heater or the lights or 2 nights with no charging

Outside temperature is a big effect on short journeys, and particularly if you stop overnight - both for the heater and for efficiency of the car itself. So two 100-mile legs with an overnight stop in between is much worse than a single 200-mile journey.

Time spent parked is also expensive if Sentry Mode is engaged.

The lights make a negligible difference; likewise there's no point turning off the music.

Turning the heater down a little bit and turning on the seat heaters saves quite a lot with no loss of comfort.

If you were only planning to use PolarInstant (via the app), you could also have used the CYC app for that CYC location. "Joining the polar network" usually means the monthly subscription which does give you the card.

The chargers at the NEC will only give 16A (3.5 - 4kW) which in my LR AWD equates to about 14mi/hr.

Booking the Express parking as you have done will guarantee you a spot at the chargers, down in the bottom right hand corner... There are some others in the regular car parks, but often those car parks fill up and then you can't get to the chargers.

As you say free to charge if you register with Centrica app.

The M42 J2 supercharger isn't too far away for a topup, and there are a few SCs along the M40 and M1...

Hope you have a good trip up!

I am driving from Sussex to NEC, I know there are chargers in NEC but are first come first serve basis, and assuming I cannot get on them as they will be full

Could you just charge at Warwick on the way there (charged enough for the return to Warwick and any losses / running around whilst at NEC)

I think that if you used a credit card on My Tesla to place a deposit for the car that will be used in the absence of anything else (but if not then "at next service" will be the fallback)