Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UK Electricity Tariffs for EVs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
if you don't have a smart meter you can't have a smart tariff with a lower night rate which is surely a must have with an EV? (unless you have an old style economy 7 setup)

I'll make my decision when I have actual charge usage data, which may be quite some while due to time of year. Back of an envelope calculations shows that it may be quite a close call for our usage. You don't get cheap rates for nothing, its offset by other costs, like increased standing charge.

You don't get cheap rates for nothing, its offset by other costs, like increased standing charge.
You’re absolutely right of course, it’s all a case of swings and roundabouts.

I think in the case of Octopus their prices are influenced by the fact that they are trying to aggressively grow the business, whereas some of the more established players don’t mind losing the more savvy energy customer, and are happy to rake the money in from all the OAPs who have been on standard tariffs for years on end.

For me, moving from OVO, both my standing charges reduced with Octopus. YMMV.

I went with Octopus for 2 reasons:

1) The 4 hour off peak at 5p is the best out there and will suffice for my daily driving needs. For road trips I’ll just charge a few nights in advance to set off with a full charge.

2) I like the fact that their electricity is 100% from renewable sources and that I can select a “super green” gas tariff that is 100% carbon offset, so all of my household energy, as well as motoring, is carbon neutral.

I seriously considered sticking with my previous provider EDF with their EV tariff for longer off peak periods - and this will work better for some - but when I realised I could cover most of my car charging needs within the cheaper off peak window provided by Octopus, the numbers made more sense. Switch was painless.

If anyone wants a referral url to get a £50 credit for switching to Octopus, PM me :D

I am looking at Octopus. You are charging your car every night? How much has that increased your overall KwH usage in the few weeks youve been doing that?
I’m not charging every night, on average every two or three nights. My normal usage is less than 50 miles a day unless we’re on a long trip. I’m retired.

Hard to say on the kWh, as I was previously running a Kona electric, and before that a Leaf. In the four years I’ve had an EV I’d say it has added about £20 a month to my bill, and I do around 15k miles a year. Home charging represents about 90-95% of my charging.

I’ve been with Octopus a month now. The switch was completely painless, and I was on the GO tariff within a few days of going live with them. So far I’ve found it brilliant.

It’s relatively risk-free as there are no exit fees.

If you’ve found this useful and you use my referral code we both get £50 bill credit.

Would anyone care to send me an Octopus Go referral? Just about to switch...

Also does anyone know if this meter works with Octopus Go? Many thanks.
SM.jpeg

Last edited:
Sorry if this is a daft question - do I change to the Octopus go Tariff after I've signed up? I can't see any option for it...
When I signed up I did it over the phone. Had to switch to standard tariff first while they then put the order in for Go tariff and they sort it out in the background. Hope that helps. Give them a ring if you haven't already I've found them to be very helpful.