Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UK FSD - What does it actually do on Model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have researched this so much, but honestly cannot find a clear answer, just an argument between beta and normal, paid and monthly, and whether its worth it or not. But nobody actually talks about what is does?

Can I just ask, if I pay the money to upgrade to FSD, what do I actually get that is different to standard autopilot in the UK?

Anything? I'm reading that it's basically the same.

Thank you

Navigate on autopilot
Auto lane change

Coming soon… since Tesla Vision
Summon
Smart Summon
Self parking

Doesn’t do much tbh, had FSD and EAP on courtesy cars, auto lane change is super fussy and on one car navigate on autopilot wouldn’t even engage. When it did, it felt like more hassle than it’s worth.

* Navigate on autopilot = it should take you off the motorway at the exit you need based on the SatNav destination.
* Auto lane change = it will change lanes for you, if the conditions are right, if you ask it to, and only as long as it doesn’t take too long. You don’t have to re-engage AP though (with the corresponding annoying bing bong).

Not worth the extra £££s currently IMO

Fsd in addition to EAP - stops at red and green traffic lights - that's all
Which I turned off due to the number of times phantom traffic lights suddenly appear on a motorway / fast A road and you have to accept going through ‘green light’ otherwise it would stop for the phantom traffic light.

Very common in tunnels and near some vehicles with green lights on but also less so in circumstances that I have yet to see any potential cause.

So it literally is quite pointless in UK unless you have a brand new model 3 with the Tesla Vision sensors?

Only reason I can think of for buying it is that you want to keep the car "forever" (FSD is not transferable to another / newer car), and you are confident that FSD will be available in that time (its on Beta in USA so "in a year or two" is maybe reasonable - for a UK Beta at least, and local laws permitting ... but use your own crystal ball rather than mine!)

AND you want to lock in that if extra hardware is needed that will be on Tesla's ticket - if you trust that they won't renege on that.

Tesla have also jacked up the price of FSD as new abilities are added - it costs more in USA that here 'coz they have more that is permitted / unlocked. So "locking in the price" might be a reason, but you could buy when the new features are announced as coming-soon.

Otherwise just buy when it finally gets here, and if you like the look of it at that time. And still own a Tesla ...

... and buy EAP in the meantime if you want the added bits that can do - change lanes on indicate instead of having the bing-bong every time you manually change lanes on basic AP (and the other bits already mentioned above)

Only reason I can think of for buying it is that you want to keep the car "forever" (FSD is not transferable to another / newer car), and you are confident that FSD will be available in that time (its on Beta in USA so "in a year or two" is maybe reasonable - for a UK Beta at least, and local laws permitting ... but use your own crystal ball rather than mine!)

AND you want to lock in that if extra hardware is needed that will be on Tesla's ticket - if you trust that they won't renege on that.

Tesla have also jacked up the price of FSD as new abilities are added - it costs more in USA that here 'coz they have more that is permitted / unlocked. So "locking in the price" might be a reason, but you could buy when the new features are announced as coming-soon.

Otherwise just buy when it finally gets here, and if you like the look of it at that time. And still own a Tesla ...

... and buy EAP in the meantime if you want the added bits that can do - change lanes on indicate instead of having the bing-bong every time you manually change lanes on basic AP (and the other bits already mentioned above)
When Musky jacked up the price in the USA he used the impending event close and gave notice prior to the rise to flush out buyers, he then fails to deliver the features promised eg access to FSDb

Reactions: CWT3LR
I have used my son-in-law's Model X FSD in the USA and it 'navigates on autopilot' right through their city centre and out onto to the freeway, stopping at lights and making turns etc quite impressively. Having said that, all these roads I'm describing are four lane or more (ie at least two one way, two the other but without a median) so to all intents are 'dual carriageway'. Only needing the wheel to sense resistance from the drivers hands every minute or more is also a big plus compared to our 15 seconds or so.

I've never tried FSD in the UK so does navigates on autopilot work similarly on dual carriageways, stopping at lights & turning at junctions?

I've never tried FSD in the UK so does navigates on autopilot work similarly on dual carriageways, stopping at lights & turning at junctions?

No. It will drive exactly the same as your regular autopilot except will prompt you to make pointless lane changes and allow you to indicate to start an automatic lane change. It will also prompt you to pass through green or red traffic lights if on TACC/AP otherwise it will stop. It may also do the same for any other green or red light it encounters on a motorway etc, such as tunnel lights, overhead gantries or some lights on lorry’s. No turns. So nothing like the US version.

• Informative
Reactions: Drew57
EAP...
Lane changes are the main usecase for me, it just keeps you in AP mode and mindset more, which I find easier driving. It won't work in the following conditions
- Low sun in the direction you want to change lane
- Heavy traffic, it errs on the side of caution, so if you and the car behind both indicate out at roughly the same time, the car will panic that there is now a car behind you and the maneuver is unsafe. It can be quite jolty once it makes the "abort maneuver" decision, the wife is not a fan in these circumstances

Also note that since they disabled radar, AP as a whole really doesn't like going into a low sun.

I don't think the OP understood what was meant by
"Coming soon"
Summon
Smart Summon (lol not in europe!)
Self parking (Frankly, even if you can persuade the car that there is a space it should get into, it's still easier to do it yourself)

A car with ultrasonic sensors has these features enabled. New cars don't have ultrasonics, mine does.

FSD...
Some of the work in the US is genuinely impressive. But the roads in the US are very very different to the UK. Even if we pick an ideal case (Milton Keynes?), the system can't deal with roundabouts. It feels to me like FSD is a long way off.

the system can't deal with roundabouts.

I've seen Chuck Cook FSD video drive a roundabout in USA. It doesn't do it well (i.e. interpreting whether a car already on the roundabout is taking an earlier exit, or not), but it does handle them (i.e. FSD doesn't hand-off to driver).

That's a fail, of course, but there are plenty of "fails" on FSD Beta ... so not sure I would say "Can't deal with roundabouts" - its fine if there is no other traffic!!

Chuck's roundabouts are single-lane thingies, so UK double-lane roundabouts may very well not be handled, as yet.

I’ve turned off the bing bong under settings. So much less intrusive.

"Joe Mode"? (which makes them quieter) or is there actually an OFF setting now?

I think the auto lane change function in EAP is crippled by the regulations over here in the UK. As I understand it regulations limit how long the car has to complete the manoeuvre, how dramatically it's allowed to turn and how hard it's allowed to decelerate/accelerate, and they also require human confirmation for any action.

Taken in combination I all those constraints mean that a system that seems fairly good in the US is fairly bad here and literally can't complete some lane changes (eg if the difference in traffic speed between the two lanes is too great). Tesla being Tesla don't seem to have put all that much effort in to tweaking the system to work with these rules, they've just slapped the rules on top, with the result that it's quite common for the car to (eg) request a lane change and then abandon it leaving you looking a tit for having indicated and not moved.

I think EAP may become good in a reasonable timeframe if the promised converged stack brings FSD-level planning to the much simpler environment of motorway/dual carriageway driving.

I can't see FSD itself being worth having in the UK any time soon. We have so many roads where the difference between everything being fine and a disaster happening is tiny. I drove through Bath town centre at the weekend and there are so many Roman horse-and-cart sized roads with sharp bends and stone walls. FSD would be intensely stressful.

Reactions: randompixel
The one benefit it used to have, but the wording has disappeared for new orders, is it used to guarantee you hardware upgrades for free if they were required for FSD. Tesla are either very sure that the current hardware is capable (lets not have the debate about whether thats true again) and so the guarantee isn't needed or the bill and effort required would be so large now that they can't promise it anymore or it's simply on the list of vague that some think is still true, amd others don't.

• Informative
Reactions: CWT3LR