Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UK FSD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
NoA with onramps is a bit of a disaster at the moment.. generally it tries to stay on the slip road until it gets too thin to fit a car, panics then aborts.

Off ramps work if the lane doesn't split in two.. if that happens it tries to go for the middle until the dotted lines appear, then swerves onto the right lane at the last minute.

Yes, this. And I thought it was me doing something wrong. Thankyou for highlighting the exact circumstances. In my case, the last minute swerve is usually accompanied by AP aborting at I instinctively retake control.

Reactions: klib
For me the most important thing to remember about FSD is that it is not “full self driving” or anything remotely near it. Nor will it be for many years, and probably unattainable with the current hardware. Elon the Prophet is, unfortunately, often guilty of talking through his fundamental orifice.

question for the op is do you have £5800 extra to spend on FSD, which may or may not be what you expect and Which Model 3 have you ordered ?

I have the performance model (got it in July). I do have £6k to spare but only if it's 'useful'. I have a very narrow garage so summon would be good but if it's straight line only that doesn't help me as it's hard right hand down on the steering wheel once half-way out (does that make sense!?)

It depends if you want to pay more for FSD as the price is to go up 1 Nov and keep going up as it improves. I took the gamble Tuesday and purchased FSD. Tesla loaded FSD within 24 hours on my 3. I think its money well spent to be able to play with FSD as its going to be like using true life video game a little expensive to buy but cheap in the long term.

It depends if you want to pay more for FSD as the price is to go up 1 Nov and keep going up as it improves. I took the gamble Tuesday and purchased FSD. Tesla loaded FSD within 24 hours on my 3. I think its money well spent to be able to play with FSD as its going to be like using true life video game a little expensive to buy but cheap in the long term.

I just bought it. App updated instantly.

Yeah, you get a summon icon in the app and a load of new autopilot options in the car.

I had a test drive this morning in rush hour on the M3, just a short way. It's very good at the motorway bit, I like how it takes an assertive lane position when it wants to change lanes.

Off-slip though is total garbage. No indication before the off-slip and then as others have pointed out it will violently decide to be in the right hand lane if the off-slip splits.

It's a shame Elon doesn't consider selling a license and transfer fee for FSD.

I'm looking at leasing, but I resent buying a software feature that isn't complete and that the leasing company will depreciate.

Whereas I'd happily(!) purchase a license and later pay to transfer it (provided that was some nominal fee in the hundreds),
this would also give people that buy Teslas outright the option to either sell it with the car or transfer it to their new one.

That way, one or two cars hence we could see it delivering value and the features we're all hoping for.

Nope, it's really disconcerting!

Exactly. I have NoA but gave up on using it. having to keep an extra eye on screen for the offer of an overtake is no better than deciding on it yself. And when it comes to pulling of a motorway... well today with 1 mile to the exit there was a non-stop stream of traffic already in the slow lane. Manually one can squirt power to slip into a gap using the 'body language' of the car so folk make space. NoA would ahve left it later and not found a gap it considered safe. It also plays safe on return to it's own lane after an overtake and off-pisses the german car behind that's wanting to speed. A drive mode that may agitate other drivers isn't cool. Autosteer with overtake on request is fairly relaxing but even then there are ocassions when you have to take over 'cos the car would refuse the situation when it's safe but car wants more room.
Then I experienced a violent phantom brake - my first serious one in 16mths. Props to the guy behind who managed to avoid hitting me - he was really on the ball. It's second nature to hit the brake in an incident but takes longer to hit a throttle - we're not wired that way.

I have EAP which gives me the overtake on indication and it's certainly los better than the loaners I've driven with just autosteer but no overtake but to have to upgrade all the way to FSD to get that at the price point?? I don't think i would. And even the lower cost from EAP to FSD in europe isn't goigng to give a safe worthwhile improvement for a looong time. I figure I'm better waiting and probably swapping cars in a few years unless they make FSD transferable.

Reactions: Roy W.
Why don’t Tesla do a 30 day trial? This would allow all drivers of Tesla's to experience FSD in there country and to see if its any benefit to them. It would probably increase sales of FSD.

I mean nearly a £6k payment and for not being allowed to test it for 30 days is a bit daft. Most computer software programmes you get some form of trial before you buy, why not this.

@pgkevet You touch on a more intractable problem than just tweaking the driving behaviour of AP. No-one has yet satisfactorily answered the question of how any kind of AP can empathise and communicate with other drivers. which is an overlooked but indispensable feature of sharing the road with other humans.

I have the performance model (got it in July). I do have £6k to spare but only if it's 'useful'. I have a very narrow garage so summon would be good but if it's straight line only that doesn't help me as it's hard right hand down on the steering wheel once half-way out (does that make sense!?)
Summon is of limited use if it's really tight. For example it won't do my garage as I have to fold mirrors to get in and I don't have a foot of space in front of the car.
I could summon out of a bigger garage, but not back in again due to even that not having enough length.
So I'm back to driving in manually with foam on the wall and a bump stop...

@pgkevet You touch on a more intractable problem than just tweaking the driving behaviour of AP. No-one has yet satisfactorily answered the question of how any kind of AP can empathise and communicate with other drivers. which is an overlooked but indispensable feature of sharing the road with other humans.

I'm not sharing my Tesla with anyone else as my space on the road is mine and my Tesla is not helping anyone else on how to drive.