Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UK Model 3 - early Wall Charger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

Recently, a family member (who didn't know their strength) managed to accidentally physically damage my i3's home charging station. I reached out to Tesla to see if I could expedite a Wall Charger prior to taking delivery of my Model 3 - rather than get another generic station from elsewhere.

The Cambridge store told me stocks would be reserved for customers currently taking delivery of their cars, but Tesla Heathrow managed to order me a Wall Charger direct from the Tilburg factory, which arrived today by DHL.

Hope that helps anyone else needing a charger urgently.

Reactions: GSP
Hi all,

Recently, a family member (who didn't know their strength) managed to accidentally physically damage my i3's home charging station. I reached out to Tesla to see if I could expedite a Wall Charger prior to taking delivery of my Model 3 - rather than get another generic station from elsewhere.

The Cambridge store told me stocks would be reserved for customers currently taking delivery of their cars, but Tesla Heathrow managed to order me a Wall Charger direct from the Tilburg factory, which arrived today by DHL.

How can you charge an i3 on a Tesla WC?

The Generation 2 version of the WC (in The EU, and a few other places) works with all Type 2 EV's, which in my present case, is extremely handy.

I hope to have it installed and charging on Monday and will post a video of it working...

Cool! Didn’t realize that. In NA any Tesla charging cord, WC or SC is Tesla only.

Reactions: UKM3
Hi all,

Recently, a family member (who didn't know their strength) managed to accidentally physically damage my i3's home charging station. I reached out to Tesla to see if I could expedite a Wall Charger prior to taking delivery of my Model 3 - rather han get another generic station from elsewhere.

I am confused by your post, you sound as though your model 3 delivery is imminent, but if you live in uk , early 2019 is earliest date predicted, and probably much later given current production delays. How does Tesla Model 3 charger differ from standard Tesla wall charger currently sold for Model S and X charging ?

This is interesting. I'm slowly starting to think about setting up a charging station in my garage (shared in an apartment building), but was wondering if I should go with Tesla Home Charger or some generic setup (even if lower speed) in case I get a different electric car in the future (I got 2 adjacent parking spaces). Didn't know that the home charger is compatible with other cars.

Do share your experience.

I am confused by your post, you sound as though your model 3 delivery is imminent, but if you live in uk , early 2019 is earliest date predicted, and probably much later given current production delays. How does Tesla Model 3 charger differ from standard Tesla wall charger currently sold for Model S and X charging ?

to clear up any confusion: i'm talking about getting my wall charger put in now, rather than wait until the model 3 arrives next year. This is so i can charge an i3 in the interim. And as stated, this is what i have managed to do. Pics & video soon. ..

Reactions: sweter
This is interesting. I'm slowly starting to think about setting up a charging station in my garage (shared in an apartment building), but was wondering if I should go with Tesla Home Charger or some generic setup (even if lower speed) in case I get a different electric car in the future (I got 2 adjacent parking spaces). Didn't know that the home charger is compatible with other cars.

Do share your experience.

Compatibility only applies to Euro Type 2 cars.

its awesome that the connector over there is standardized, just too bad its so chunky and ugly compares to north american tesla connector....

yes it's a little more chunky than a tesla 3pin plug in the USA but our standardised type2 (mennekes) plugs sure do make plugging into a non-tesla AC destination charger, more convenient. (no messy adaptors needed).