Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UK Model 3 order page open!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All,
found this forum by chance. From London and just ordered a standard black SR+ , have been told expect 12 weeks for delivery I assume around September

just wanted to ask If anyone also on SR+ list, what accessories I need in advance ? carpet mats , wireless charger ?
Want to share your invoice number?
Tesla orders are approaching 5000 for the UK.

Tesla Model 3 UK Orders

Reactions: EinSV
Welcome to the mad world of Tesla :confused:. In your shoes I'd hold off. Tesla pull and push the demand lever like it's going out of fashion. Most likely they've already a bunch of non LR AWD produced and possibly on their way - they want to get rid of them pronto. As soon as that's done they'll bring it back, maybe in a slightly different guise but it'll be back.

They did something similar with the S75D in January. Pulled it leaving only the 100D which put £20k overnight on my replacement. It came back a month later as the "Standard Range" S.

You do say the 3 is "manageable" but would prefer the Y - for me the boot is a killer on the 3, so maybe rethinking and picking up an S instead wouldn't be a bad idea. Then check out the Y is 2-3 years time. I suspect there would be some very good deals on inventory stock S's between now and the end of the month..o_O

Hope that helps, or maybe just confuses you even more :confused:

Thanks. Yes a used or inventory S could be an option especially as they are due a refresh in Sept/Oct apparently. Might be some deals afoot. Might be stretching my budget a little farther than I want though. I think you are correct on the M3 though, the order options online may simply be reduced to reflect the models they have produced and need to shift this quarter. Holding off while checking regularly would seen sensible.

Have you looked at a picture of the aero wheels without the aero covers which just snap on and off.
I am led to believe they don't make that much difference and they aren't a bad looking set of wheels minus the covers
They also come on and off pretty easily I think so you could just use them for long journeys

just a thought

Actually yes and it’s a good thought. The wheels don’t look half bad actually with the Aero covers off, especially with the red colour. Could be an option. Although I also read that the handling and braking distance etc is not quite so good with the 18s vs the bigger wheels (tyre related I presume) so I’m not sure they’d be ideal on the performance model with all of that extra power. The 19 inch wheels seemed a decent compromise to me in that respect, one of the reasons I’d originally picked them.

Actually yes and it’s a good thought. The wheels don’t look half bad actually with the Aero covers off, especially with the red colour. Could be an option. Although I also read that the handling and braking distance etc is not quite so good with the 18s vs the bigger wheels (tyre related I presume) so I’m not sure they’d be ideal on the performance model with all of that extra power. The 19 inch wheels seemed a decent compromise to me in that respect, one of the reasons I’d originally picked them.

Don't go over-thinking it! While 20s would give the ultimate grip level on a smooth, dry summer road, 18s will be fine for grip and handling, especially in the cold and wet UK weather if you fit winter or all-season tyres. Let's put it this way, it should still comfortably out-handle the larger, heavier Model S.

As a professional race engineer I don't have any issues ordering a Performance Model 3 on standard 18" wheels and suspension for general road use. If I was planning to do serious track days then it would be a different matter, where the upgraded brakes would become essential to avoid fade. But on the road I would actually prefer the more compliant tyres and suspension on our bumpy pot-holed back roads. 19s would be a reasonable compromise too of course, but I'd rather have the extra power and 18s. I was actually dreading having to live with 20" rims on a car this size! Tyres will be like 0-rings with serious risk of rim damage on kerbs and pot holes.

Don't go over-thinking it! While 20s would give the ultimate grip level on a smooth, dry summer road, 18s will be fine for grip and handling, especially in the cold and wet UK weather if you fit winter or all-season tyres. Let's put it this way, it should still comfortably out-handle the larger, heavier Model S.

As a professional race engineer I don't have any issues ordering a Performance Model 3 on standard 18" wheels and suspension for general road use. If I was planning to do serious track days then it would be a different matter, where the upgraded brakes would become essential to avoid fade. But on the road I would actually prefer the more compliant tyres and suspension on our bumpy pot-holed back roads. 19s would be a reasonable compromise too of course, but I'd rather have the extra power and 18s. I was actually dreading having to live with 20" rims on a car this size! Tyres will be like 0-rings with serious risk of rim damage on kerbs and pot holes.

Good input thanks. I wouldn’t be taking the M3 anywhere near a track so your input is very valid. Road use only for me. I am reasonably light on the throttle and would prioritise range over performance. Hence my original choice for the LR AWD. Good point on comfort with the smaller wheels too. Much to consider.

The stock 18's look pretty awesome if you take the aero covers off - Google them. Not worth holding off if that was the big concern.

Damn Gretta tax. Forcing us to buy an amazing £50k car. Maybe that's what I'll name mine when it turns up :-\

Reactions: interbear
In your shoes I would cancel the order and go for the Performance version with standard wheels. I predict it will be painful trying to sell a LR AWD against a load of similarly priced Performance models down the line. FWIW I wouldn't waste your money on FSD either, but that's another story!
I'm still not sure what P- bring over LR AWD though apart from slightly quicker acceleration? (incr top speed is only w/PP although website unclear) Estimated range on Tesla website is 19 miles lower.

Don't the 18's, also give slightly better range? not sure if that is down to tyres, tyre width or aerodynamics but I thought I had read it was the case?

Yes in my research on wheel choice I also read various reviews and reports stating a difference of anywhere between 4-10% range improvement for the 18s over the 19s. Although there are so many variables it’s difficult to know what to believe. It seems the Aero covers improve range but if the covers are removed to expose the dark grey rims then that improvement is diminished. Most reviews I read advised to use the Aero covers for longer road trips to improve range but remove them for day to day driving for aesthetics. Again, sounds reasonably plausible to me. I may well go down that route.

Reactions: ediflyer
I am led to believe they don't make that much difference

From publicly available data from the EPA, 4% at typical motorway speeds. If that's not "that much" for some pieces of plastic, what would be?

Note that the 10% difference often quoted is not between the Aero-wheels-with-caps and without caps, but between the EPA-tested 18" Aero wheels and the EPA-tested 19" wheels, which have tyres less optimised for rolling resistance and much heavier rims and no aero caps. The stiletto design looks great, though.

I agree that the caps were really ugly, but to me that was not the design but the colour (the M3 prototype at the unveiling event had kewl wheels that weren't that different). Not that hard to fix, though:

aero2-jpg.412469

Being an understated kind of person I went for a brushed steel look for the spokes, not the prototype's light carbon fibre ;-).

Last edited:
Reactions: Midnight Star
I'm still not sure what P- bring over LR AWD though apart from slightly quicker acceleration? (incr top speed is only w/PP although website unclear) Estimated range on Tesla website is 19 miles lower.
The range difference between RWD LR and AWD/P LR is due to the extra weight of the second motor (given that the rear motor is the exact same one).

The latest EPA test data have been published for P LR and AWD LR also with the 18" Aero wheels, and the range difference between P and AWD is exactly zero (which is not really a suprise, given that the cars are exactly the same when driven in steady-state dynamometer testing).

In some other tests there is a difference between P and AWD but then the wheels are invariably different (the 20" Performance Upgrade Package wheels have an even more negative impact on consumption than the 19" stiletto's, when compared to the 18" Aero wheels with Primacy MXM4. That's one of the prices for the more performance oriented tyres and rims).

Last edited:

I’ve looked again and think you are correct. Seems to me that the Performance Pack Upgrade has to be added to “unlock” higher top speed of 162mph vs 145 for the standard Performance. So it looks to me as if the only differences between the standard Performance model and original LR AWD are:

- Improved acceleration 0-60 is 3.2 secs on Performance vs 4.4 on LR.
- Decreased range 329 miles on Performance whereas I’m sure the LR originally stated 348.
- Inability to specific the 19 inch sports wheels on the Performance. This was possible on LR AWD but on the Performance it’s either 18 Aero or 20 sport as part of the PP upgrade costing another £3700.

So the changes basically mean paying a bit more for quicker acceleration and less range on the standard Performance vs the LR AWD. Given that, and the fact I’m not interested in the PP upgrade bells and whistles, I would personally stick with the LR AWD if I had one on order already and Tesla could actually deliver it. I’d assume also that the insurance on a LR AWD would be a bit lower than any model with Performance in its name :) Not sure on that though.

The "less range", as I wrote above, is an artefact of the exact car configuration used for certifying certain WLTP numbers for the different models. If you look at more recent EPA tests (which are done in more configurations) you will see that there is no difference between P and AWD LR if they have the same sets of wheels. Zilch, nada, zip. The only way to decrease the range of a P to something smaller than the AWD with 18" Aero wheels (by a hefty 10%) is to go for the Performance Upgrade and its 20" wheels. If you want an intermediate range, buy a P with 18" aeros and throw away the covers.

The smaller range for both AWD and P vs. the RWD LR, on the other hand, is very real. You don't get to schlep that second motor along without paying a small price.

And you're right that the software-nerfing of the rear motor will, in some countries and for some insurance companies, have an effect on insurance pricing. Or not (in my case for the 3rd best offer there was a kW-based difference; on the 2nd best offer even an RWD LR kW "maxed out" the 'this is a fast car' criterion and bumped up the price and the P made no difference. The best offer was something negotiated specially for Tesla cars by an insurance broker and was only based on price).

Last edited:
You should be able to buy the 19’’ from a store or online and have it changed before delivery. Why not going with an SR+ and upgrade the wheels? unless you drive over 200 miles every day and doesn’t want to stop, I think it is amazing value for money considering what you get.

The rear motor of the LR AWD is different from the P3, I don’t think it is (only) a software unlock: 2019 Tesla Model 3 Long Range AWD - Specifications

I really enjoyed the simplicity of ordering my 3 (SR+ blue FSD by the way ), they make it clear, even during the finance agreement, that you can change or cancel your order (and finance) anytime.
I remember looking at the S about 2 years ago with a 3% APR, I waited too long and then interest raised and the S was only available AWD and so more expensive... Same story with used inventory, waited for price drop and car get snapped..
The best is to order now, changed the car or spec if needed up until delivery and then enjoy it without going back to the configurator (not easy I know).

The recent price drop of the P3 makes it very very appealing. I think as well that they have a lot of unassigned P3 left on this 1st boat, maybe they were expecting a lot of demand in the UK due to the popularity of the bmw m3. I would be surprised if the price stay that low for longer.

Regarding FSD, personally it is one of the main reason I buy a Tesla. I agree that this feature was sold on the S/X for years with no benefits, but the system has finally awoken. Don’t think about being able to sleep in your car next year, let alone making money with a robot taxi! But driving under my supervision from A to B on my commute without any input from me I think it could.
Buying into the futur and going to work one morning discovering new features from your car is all the magic about Tesla.

Reactions: ediflyer and -DB-
what accessories I need in advance ? carpet mats , wireless charger ?

If you have off street parking then definitely a Wall Charger (they charge at around 23 MPH whereas a 13 AMP plug is around 6 MPH and has higher losses); unless your Consumer Unit is at the opposite end of the house from the parking then usually around £5-600 for Sparky (grants available for the charger unit itself). There isn't really a Wireless Charging option

I am reasonably light on the throttle and would prioritise range over performance

I recommend a choice of three driving styles :)

1. Only you in the car. Battery charged every night (to, say, 90%). Today you are not going very far. Drive it however you like, its 2p a mile for fuel
2. Same, but you have passengers. Apart from doing Mates Demos then drive gently. People not looking out the windscreen etc. won't like sudden acceleration
3a. Range-challenged days - you are driving close to max range, bad weather, or a journey that will require charging. Trogging along the motorway at a constant 75 MPH gets predictable consumption so is easy to plan for, and is a reasonably frugal driving style anyway (with stretches at 40 MPH for traffic / roadworks helping range :) ) , but some frugal, slower cruise speed, light-foot driving may be required
3b. Same, but you are in good range of a Supercharger - then drive-faster, charge-longer, gives the shortest overall journey time (up to about 90 MPH)

Don't the 18's, also give slightly better range?

Less rotational weight etc. but mostly it is because the bigger diameter Performance Rims are fitted with wider, stickier, less Eco tyres (and, indeed, you may struggle to find tyre brands available for big rims that have low rolling resistance)

Spoke to Tesla in the Netherlands. Looks like the UK cars are in San Francisco waiting to be loaded aboard their ship. I was told to expect delivery between the last week of June to the third week of July. VIN should be generated in the next couple of weeks.

The rear motor of the LR AWD is different from the P3, I don’t think it is (only) a software unlock: 2019 Tesla Model 3 Long Range AWD - Specifications

The inverter/motor assembly did have anorher part number at one point in time (rumours from Elon Musk were that they were sorting these into bins), but the specs of the P rear motor are those of the "mundane" RWD/LR motor — it is not a coincidence —, and these days given the volume it makes sense to just stick the RWD/LR engine in every car and software nerf it to lower power if necessary.

There are now a lot of reports of AWDs seen in the wild but created from Ps before delivery (with vestigial remains of their P past).

The ease with which the order page in the UK changed (but offering a P without the usual Perf Upgrade Package that contained the more tangible non-software difference between the P and AWD in the continental EU configurator) even though they’ve got a massive amount of cars already travelling on boats is another hint ;-).

In an SR+ the software nerfing is necessary since the battery pack cannot deliver the same power, so you the inverter has to be programmed to feed the motor more carefully (and who knows, they might design a cheaper inverter for it at some point). But the P and AWD have the same battery pack.

• Informative