Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UK Model 3 order page open!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
hi All

I ordered a LR AWD on 1 May, midnight Silver and 19" Sport Wheels. On the 31 I completed my order process, address & license upload etc. oblivious to the fact that the ordering page had just changed earlier that morning.

As I was considering a M3P but don't want the low profiles or the dropped suspension, I eventually opted for the LR AWD. So after much deliberation between my alter ego and myself, I eventually sent Tesla UK sales an email informing them that I would like to change my order to a P-lite *if* it would not affect my 5000 mile referral nor my delivery schedule. I also asked them to confirm with me.

Yesterday I got a call from a friendly lad acknowledging my change, as well as confirming that it would not affect the referral miles nor the delivery schedule. He also mentioned that they would update the vehicle details on my account (not yet happened) and that I would be contacted in the next week or two with a VIN etc. and that delivery was expected early in July... (yes I'm just reporting what he told me and I will only get excited once I actually get a VIN ;-) - finger crossed).

best,
Stephan

Nice one- but what about those lovely 19s?

well, yes the 18" Aeros are definitely not as aesthetically pleasing as those lovely 19" wheels, but... given the aero wheel cap kit, I can live with them for a while... and I can always get another set of rims...
Model 3 Aero Wheel Cap Kit
Aerowheels.jpg

AeroWheelKit400.jpg

Attachments

• AeroWheelKit.jpg
    AeroWheelKit.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 49
I was going to ask the same!

Is it possible to buy the sport wheels later? I’m SR+ with sport wheels as didn’t like the Aeros or wheels underneath. ironically the Aeros are starting to grow on me but I’m not yet at the stage where I could look at them everyday knowing sports were an option when I ordered.

Trying to talk myself into a P- but not there yet!

Edit: Aeros look nice on the MGM

It's my first Tesla so I thought I'd go for all the bells and whistles.

This is my second Tesla, so I know the promise is not worth £6k, lol. Seriously I would keep the money in your pocket and upgrade later if it is ever worthwhile. Standard AP is pretty good and has all the important current features except for auto lane-change. I effectively have current "FSD" functionality on my Model X (with EAP) and I can tell you that Navigate on AP is pretty lame. Autopark is pretty cool, but not a big deal and doesn't get close enough to kerbs on tight UK roads. Summon is a bit of a gimmick. So I was very happy to save £6k and stick with AP on my Model 3. Most of the time I won't notice the difference, although I will miss auto lane-change a little on busy motorways. A shame they didn't include that with standard AP, but they had to differentiate FSD somehow in its watered down form. Unfortunately it's the newbs who will fall for the marketing. Remember there are many people who paid for FSD several years ago on their S/X cars who haven't had a single benefit of it yet. Amazingly some of them seem to think it was still a good idea to order it!

well, yes the 18" Aeros are definitely not as aesthetically pleasing as those lovely 19" wheels, but... given the aero wheel cap kit, I can live with them for a while... and I can always get another set of rims...
Model 3 Aero Wheel Cap Kit

I seem to be in the minority in thinking that the aero wheels look cool on this car. Adds to the futuristic minimalist vibe. Not to mention they are more efficient too, not just a gimmick. The underlying rims are not bad either.

Reactions: ediflyer
I would be worried about kerbing the aero covers - am sure they will cost at least as much as a wheel repair.

Regarding FSD - I paid for the option on my 90D, and have ordered it again. Summon is really useful when you have a toddler and a very tight parking space, and I use lane changing on AP all the time. As we will have HW3 I am sure FSD will soon be a more refined experience than EAP on HW2/2.5.

I seem to be in the minority in thinking that the aero wheels look cool on this car. Adds to the futuristic minimalist vibe. Not to mention they are more efficient too, not just a gimmick. The underlying rims are not bad either.
I agree, the aero wheels look great for now and when I get bored well then off they pop! I am however completely undecided as to whether I should upgrade from the awd lr I have ordered to the p-lite! Just for a slightly quicker acceleration and bragging rights! Have spoke to Tesla and they have said I can upgrade and keep the 5000 supercharging miles but will lose my mid July slot! He tried to convince me by telling me the awd lr would be classed as a limited addition ! I think we both knew he was full of s#*t!

I agree, the aero wheels look great for now and when I get bored well then off they pop! I am however completely undecided as to whether I should upgrade from the awd lr I have ordered to the p-lite! Just for a slightly quicker acceleration and bragging rights! Have spoke to Tesla and they have said I can upgrade and keep the 5000 supercharging miles but will lose my mid July slot! He tried to convince me by telling me the awd lr would be classed as a limited addition ! I think we both knew he was full of s#*t!

I don’t understand how you’d lose your delivery slot. They’re the same physical car aren’t they?

I don’t understand how you’d lose your delivery slot. They’re the same physical car aren’t they?
That was my reply but he said it was built for my spec and they would have to start again! At that point I knew I was fighting a loosing battle what with his language barrier and idiotic comments. For me the time delay (if any) is not a issue, but wanted to see what my options were

The aero covers are not that expensive even new (not to mention a lot of users are willing to part from them). I think I was quoted 30-40 Euro for one once.

The aeros don't cover the rims. So if you kerb it you have "30-40 euros" plus the rim repair. Or you pay upfront to get gators installed.

IMO the rims are a bit marmite - I think the wheels look better with the covers on. But not as good as the 19s or 20s :)

• Informative
Reactions: Calisaar
The phrase used was "kerbing the aero covers"'. As for kerbing rims, whether you have aero covers on the rims or not, you can damage the rims. Usually, though, a bit of paint to touch it all up is all I need.

I agree the stiletto rims look great, BTW. But not great enough to offset a 10% difference in motorway consumption (which admittedly is also due to the difference in tyres) ;-).

Is it possible to buy the sport wheels later?
In the US you can buy the 20" wheels separately, but at quite an expensive price. You're often better off buying aftermarket T-sportline rims and some tyres (they've got very striking Arachnids and more "classic" twin turbines that look a bit like classic model S rims) or rims from someone else. TPMS sensors are usually not that much of a problem, but Tesla Roadside Assistance will often refuse to deal with aftermarket rims not bought from Tesla.

Some service centres will also sell you a set of 19" stiletto's, but also at quite a hefty price.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: -DB-
Your chances of getting stiletto's that aren't bought with a car for the moment are slim at best, though: they're production constrained on them and need them badly to fill orders for cars, so Service Centres tend to currently guard them jealously (at best keeping a few at hand as loaners for people with 19" wheels that would damage one).

Reactions: -DB-
Standard AP is pretty good and has all the important current features except for auto lane-change.

Just checking: But "auto lane change" as required by FSD I think is both "NoA automatic lane change", but also "Indicate to change lanes" (which used to be part of AP / EAP). Agree that's not worth the price of FSD, but AP without it is quite a bit of a lesser-thing, sadly.

Reactions: J1mbo
Just checking: But "auto lane change" as required by FSD I think is both "NoA automatic lane change", but also "Indicate to change lanes" (which used to be part of AP / EAP). Agree that's not worth the price of FSD, but AP without it is quite a bit of a lesser-thing, sadly.
That's what I'd picked up, seemed to be quite a PITA, with a bing bong every time you go to change lane when driving in AP as it has to disengage and then you have to re-engage it in the new lane with another audio warning that dips media playback too?

Reactions: WannabeOwner